Why become a member? ×

Auditions - why are some musicians so damned rude to others?

molan

My band 'fell over' a couple of months ago and, due to various personal reasons, I haven't been out looking for anything else until recently.

I've had a couple of experiences that, quietly, have really surprised me about some of the people out there in other bands.

First up was a group that had been forced to partially disband because three members were unable to continue due to distances involved for gigs. The band advertised for bass / drums / keys.

Because my band had split & I was good friends with both my drummer & keys player we thought this might be a perfect match - We even played a fairly similar set list. I contacted the band leader and said I'd be up for auditioning on bass & could probably bring drums & keys with me if required.

I got a very positive response although the guy said he couldn't call me for 4-5 days. This was Ok really & we exchanged numbers. Lo & behold, no call, no response to any messages or calls either. Just totally ignored me & I've given up trying to contact him now as he's obviously not interested.

You'd think he could at least have bothered to say why he didn't want to see me (& the other two possible band members) or just say he'd found something else etc.?

Second experience was a smaller band just looking for a bass player. I spoke to the guitarist for about 30-40 minutes and we seemed to hit it off. He said they were having two sets of auditions & I was invited to the 2nd of these. He gave me 4 songs to learn & a complete set list from which to choose a few more.

I dutifully took a day out & learned the main four plus several others. Downloaded originals, checked keys, adjusted with Audacity to their key, spent a couple of hours going through my basses to decide which one would work best with their material / lineup etc. etc..

I sent a couple of messages asking when the next audition would be & explained what I'd been working on without any reply. Then, I'm sure you can guess what's coming, 3-4 days after their first auditions I get a rather curt email saying they found what they wanted and hoped I'd find something in the future. Also that they'd keep in touch in case the guy they have chosen doesn't work out.

I have to say that this one really pissed me off - why supply a full set list with keys & stuff and ask someone to learn a batch of songs without even letting them audition. I have to assume that they did the same to other people as well because they'd said they were seeing others the same night as me.

They could at least have let me know immediately after their first auditions instead of leaving me to waste time over 3 days learning a large chunk of their set?

Just seems rude to me - or maybe I'm being too precious over it all :(

... because they can be because they (possibly for the only time in their lives) get the chance to be an a*******e with no comeback cos they've got a tiny bit of power!

It's happened to me as well. Mind you it was fun when one of the a********s involved came to audition for a band I was in some years later.

Steve

In answer to OP question ...

... Because there's a lot of w@nkers out there

Sad but true. Sorry Barrie but something way better will turn up. Forget them as they will probably treat the new bass guy just as disdainfully and you will probably be best out of it

In bands normal rules don't apply. I've seen the most able people in their daytime jobs become complete King Canutes when they are in a band situation. With the kind of work ethic you have when learning the songs it won't be long till you find something else,

It amazes me what total knobs some people can be.

After a couple of similar experiences last year it got to the point where I felt that I really didnt want to gig anymore.

I had one audition and for the following couple of days had numerous e mails from the other band members, telling how I had "totally nailed it" and how my sound fitted right in with them, I had got the gig etc etc. Then it all went quiet, so I mailed the band leader. He replied with an apology that they hadn't been able to get together for a week but it would all be on for the following week.

That was a year ago :angry: .

I'm convinced that there are certain people who just like to bullshit, brag and generally bugger others about.

What really gets me riled up though, is that in this age that we live in, it has never been easier, quicker or cheaper to contact each other.

Right I'm off to load the car and off to gig only about a mile from home, with a group of people that I really enjoy playing with and who all communicate with each other and don't behave like total knobs :D

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1333819522' post='1607012']
Just seems rude to me - or maybe I'm being too precious over it all :(
[/quote]

It [i]is[/i] bloody rude. People really are mostly rubbish aren't they? Which is why the planet's in the state that it is. I had a similar experience, learnt five tracks note-perfect for audition and got a mail a day before the proposed date to say the singer was ill and they were going to fold the band anyway. Which was obviously bull-plop, in my opinion.

In complete contrast with NMA, who I auditioned with last Friday, whose organisation was very polite, professional and excellent communicators. You can tell what people are going to be like from this type of dog's-arse fruit, so I reckon you're better off out of it.

Edited by discreet

If that is the way they both carry on then best off out of it and it is their loss. It is best that you know this now, IMO.
Put you own unit together.. you must know enough people if you are in the swing of things.

The only reason for auditions would be if you are new to the area, I think.

Edited by JTUK

The upside is you've learnt more repertoire and can use it again. I found out I hadn't got the gig with one outfit by seeing they'd placed another ad for a bass player on joinmyband.com the morning after I'd done the audition (for which I'd learned the numbers but some others hadn't).

Edited by musophilr

I think the trouble with the audition process is you put a lot of your time and yourself into it, and more often than not it does not bear fruit, and you end up feeling short-changed. If you are one person going for a band, then they are more important to you than the one band who have many people trying out, and I think this is why bands might not get back to you, but at least with the second one, they did let you know. But, I can understand how you feel you have had your time wasted.

I think there a a number of things you can do. Stop auditioning all together. Audition so much, that it just does not matter whether they call or not. Form your own band, put yourself in charge and be the one doing the auditioning.

Don't forget, and audition is a two way street, you want to be the best you can be, but you want them to be the best too. With these two examples, you've kinda had your question answered. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

There are without doubt lots of socially dysfunctional people trying to run/organise bands, can be very frustrating. Having said that I get equally frustrated when I place an ad for bass player available, list the sort of stuff I'm looking to play e.g. soul, blues, funk, ska etc, no function bands, no classic rock - and then get replies from people looking for a bass player for their classic rock covers band or wedding band.

In fact, who needs a guitarist? You get on well with these guys, so why subject yourself to the profound hideousness of guitauditions?

Keys, bass, drums is a nice solid foundation for lots of things from cheesy 60's lounge pop through [s]tasteful[/s] jazz improvs to triumphant ELP pomp. And the money goes a lot further when you're only splitting it 3 ways.

Molan and the Magictones. Got a ring to it ;)

Barrie, it's like a job interview. You do the prep, you get it or you don't. Thing is some interviewers are completely unprofessional knobs and the same applies more so with egotistical prats in bands. Hold your head up that you behaved with professionalism and dignity.
We should all take happiness from Clarky's recent shenanigans. The right one is waiting for us, we just gotta make the effort and have patience.
We all know your rep as a top bass dude.
We should all name and shame bands who behave like this and BLACKLIST the ignorant twats.
Karl.

I think a lot of the perceived rudeness with bands/auditions tends to stem from the gulfs that exist in the way we approach bands. Some bands think they are the tits, when really they're the pits. Ergo, their members act like preening rock stars. Often, it's just one person who has this God complex, he will be the one who takes it all too seriously or never calls.

On the other hand, a lot of bands are pretty lax affairs, which is communicated in the way they conduct their business. Again, these sorts might not be so inclined to keep in touch with you, simply because 'the band' is fairly low down on their list of priorities.

That said, I always try to be polite and friendly and maintain communications in band situations. At least everyone then knows what you're about, and that you can be relied upon.

I had it the other way about. I'm in a band based a long way from home but the drummer is simply the best and I'd travel wherever I had to in order to work with him. Anyhoo we had the line up sorted all bar the sax. Organised audition for this guy, I drove two hours there for his audition and not only did he not turn up he didn't bother phoning. He lives about 10 minutes from the audition.
I told the others there and then row him out. If he can't be bothered to come to an audition he has serious reliability and commitment issues but I was out voted and made the trip again another day so he could try out once more.
Long one short: he refuses most gigs we get offered bitches about learning new songs, turns up late and moans about the money all the time.
Aren't people great?

To me, I think a lot of it is many people don`t actually want to inform someone they haven`t got the position, so either just don`t inform them, or send short blunt messages. So they choose the route that makes it easier for them.

[quote name='stewblack' timestamp='1333827216' post='1607142']
I had it the other way about. I'm in a band based a long way from home but the drummer is simply the best and I'd travel wherever I had to in order to work with him. Anyhoo we had the line up sorted all bar the sax. Organised audition for this guy, I drove two hours there for his audition and not only did he not turn up he didn't bother phoning. He lives about 10 minutes from the audition.
I told the others there and then row him out. If he can't be bothered to come to an audition he has serious reliability and commitment issues but I was out voted and made the trip again another day so he could try out once more.
Long one short: he refuses most gigs we get offered bitches about learning new songs, turns up late and moans about the money all the time.
Aren't people great?
[/quote]

Think I'd be tempted with a sharp lift and seperate of the cobblers!
There really are some selfish ignorant pricks about.

Just before xmas, I answered an ad for a band that were re forming and needed a bass player. Spoke to the singer, liked the guy, liked the songs they were gonna do. Met the guy down the pub, got on great. Yabba dabba doo I`m thinking. Guy says he will call me as soon as they can get the drummer sorted out, which would be sorted within the next few days and would I crack on learning the set list?

Well, I`m still waiting for the call back from John ex of the Sex Godz. Dish the dirt!!!

I don`t think he is calling back is he? :blink:

Jez

On a similair note (Job Interview) I was asked to Interview for "Forensic Alliance" a good few years back, as a Forensics Technician (Private company does a lot of the "CSI" stuff for the police). They dragged me down to Oxford for a days interview, all whent well till the end of the day, when they announced I was under qualified for the role. Did they not bother to read the CV before dragging me fifty miles and an unpaid days leave from work?

On a musical side it's mostly been me that has ended up putting the bands together (Think I've only "auditioned" twice, and got both gigs). When i'm auditioning folk I prefer it to be a bit more laid back. I've had the other end of the stick when putting the current band together, in that had various people (singers, guitarists, drummers) ask for an audition and express interest then just disapear or not turn up.