Why become a member? ×

Got my stolen bass back after 11 years wait.

paul j h

Hi all,

Today i got my Jackson concert XL bass back after 11 years. It was stolen from a shop in Gloucester in 2001 i had at the time been looking to sell it on comission, when some toerag pinched it. The shop would not claim on their insurance, but did report it. I was as you can imagine not happy. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago, my daughter and her fiancee were staying at our house and watching some celebrity dancing sh**e. So i decided to look on ebay (i hardly ever bother normally) put in basses within 75miles of my postcode, scroll through the basses and up pops a Jackson concert, i take a closer look, its been refinished, i had mine refinished, same pickups, same sharksfin inlays, bound neck etc. So i e-mail the seller, who could not have been more helpful, we speak on the phone, i discribe the bass etc then i contact the police get the original incident number, get back in touch with the seller who says he bought it from Crack converters in Gloucester (who have been less than helpful). police pick it up, return it to the original shop and i picked it up from there today. Still plays great, still the best neck i have ever played, just got to sort the crackly jack socket out. To finsh off the story i went into the newsagent on the way home Bass Guitar Magazine - Dave Ellefson on the cover (hes the reason i bought my Jackson originally) and his new Jackson signature bass conicidence or what? sorry for the long winded tale but i'm stoked.

Edited by paul j h

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1333036905' post='1596604']
Hi all,

Today i got my Jackson concert XL bass back after 11 years. It was stolen from a shop in Gloucester in 1991 i had at the time been looking to sell it on comission, when some toerag pinched it. The shop would not claim on their insurance, but did report it. I was as you can imagine not happy. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago, my daughter and her fiancee were staying at our house and watching some celebrity dancing sh**e. So i decided to look on ebay (i hardly ever bother normally) put in basses within 75miles of my postcode, scroll through the basses and up pops a Jackson concert, i take a closer look, its been refinished, i had mine refinished, same pickups, same sharksfin inlays, bound neck etc. So i e-mail the seller, who could not have been more helpful, we speak on the phone, i discribe the bass etc then i contact the police get the original incident number, get back in touch with the seller who says he bought it from Crack converters in Gloucester (who have been less than helpful). police pick it up, return it to the original shop and i picked it up from there today. Still plays great, still the best neck i have ever played, just got to sort the crackly jack socket out. To finsh off the story i went into the newsagent on the way home Bass Guitar Magazine - Dave Ellefson on the cover (hes the reason i bought my Jackson originally) and his new Jackson signature bass conicidence or what? sorry for the long winded tale but i'm stoked.
[/quote]

Nice story mate!
Happy ending.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1333039346' post='1596658']
Outstanding result, but just one question - where does this leave the guy who tried to sell it on eBay? Has he ended up being the loser on this?
[/quote]

I assume that as he bought it from crack converters that they gave him the money back ? I hope so.

(pictures can be uploaded to photobucket or flickr etc and use the

Edited by daz

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1333037828' post='1596628']
Excellent!!! All we need is my GK MB112S and SWR Baby Blue 2x10 cab (nicked in Bristol in about 1992) and we will all be happy!! :lol:
[/quote]

I saw an SWR Baby Blue (2x8") a few years ago in Rikaxe in Bristol - struck me as an unusual thing to find in a shop like that! Can't exactly remember if it was a combo or just the cab, but I think it was a cab.......