Why become a member? ×

Is it acceptable for Pro musicians to drink.

TimR

On another thread a story was told where a pro drummer had been speeding up and drinking on a gig. The Sax player stopped mid gig and told the drummer off for speeding up. The drummer then said I do this for a living threw his toys out of the pram and packed up, leaving the rest of the band to finish the gig.

I'm talking about pro backline players of function, theatre, big name tours here, rather than pro musician doing a pub gig or famous singers on the vodka. ;)

In my profession you would get the sack instantly if you hadn't electrocuted yourself first. Drivers - obviously the same. But I know of certain jobs where people would go to the pub Friday lunch and be useless Friday afternoon.

Thoughts?

I allow myself one pint (bitter - not vodka!) before a gig, and that's it.

Others may have a higher tolerance so I don't try to count what my bandmates are drinking, but it's years since I've been prepared to play with someone who has clearly had too much.

Never drink on a gig where I'm being hired to do a job.
Sometimes on originals gigs i might have a couple, but I want to be in a state where I'm fully aware. I remember years ago I did a gig where I was rather pissed, recorded it, played fine, but I don't remember it at all, don't recall any enjoyment etc. What's the point in that? I play music because it gives me something, so putting myself into a state when I don't feel that enjoyment seems utterly pointless.

Si

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1331226270' post='1569874']
If you're doing gigs at a 'professional' level I don't think you should be drinking before or through the gig. I wouldn't turn up to work pissed, I don't see why anyone who cared about their musicianship would either.
[/quote]
+1 if you're being paid to play treat it as you would any job and expect to get the heave ho if you're tipsy/stoned whatever...

A place we played at once didn't pay much, we thought we'd show them what we could do and negotiate up after that. They were really please with us, and said we were so much better than the usual bands they have on there, in fact the best band they had had, and tried to book us back. They would only pay half our usual fee though but they said - yeah but the bands always get a free bar!
I did the maths, 10 pints each on top of what they were paying and we would be getting close to our usual fee.
I put it to the landlord that this policy may go some way to explaining why we were the best band they had heard in a long time...

I'd say it depends on the attitude of the person who is hiring and whether it affects the playing of the person who is doing the drinking. Its gotta make it harder to travel gig to gig if you have a booze habit so for that reason it'd be a stupid idea. If, however, someone can do it and it doesn't have a negative impact then why not?

I'll have a shandy (waits for all the jokes) and make it last all night because, apart from Armagnac, i just can't drink.

I try and lay off the heroin if we're doing a wedding gig, but...

I don't drink at my desk; I don't expect my taxi driver to be swigging when he picks me up; and the girl in the canteen looked pretty sober this morning too. Could he not f***ing wait?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1331227767' post='1569915']
As long ad it doesn't affect your performance it's cool with me. I know I can't play pissed but I like to have a few beforehand if im not driving home later. I just make sure it's not a few TOO many!
[/quote]
Same here - also seeems to apply to every pro band that I know....

I never drink so its a no brainer but, seriously, I gig with a lot of different people and rarely come across drinkers who are a problem. One pint or two etc over an evening is fine but the only issue is remaining ready to work. If someone gets pissed, its one warning then, do it a second time and you don't get booked again, however good you are sober.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1331226270' post='1569874']
If you're doing gigs at a 'professional' level I don't think you should be drinking before or through the gig. I wouldn't turn up to work pissed, I don't see why anyone who cared about their musicianship would either.
[/quote]i think Chris is spot on here... i would never record, do a gig, drinking....im not a pro, but the word professional has its responsibilities..... its always great to have fun after anyways....

Edited by bubinga5

I've had a couple of pints but no more. And that was in a 2+ hour period before the first set so i'd be 'sober' before starting. Once we're playing I stick to soft drinks to keep hydrated and remember the songs (90% successful :lol:)

In the bands I`ve been in since quitting drinking, it`s been easy to see how many pints it takes before the playing skills of the individuals begins to notice. With most, even though they probably wouldn`t admit it, it takes effect after the first pint, and is very noticeable by the 2nd. Now seeing as most of them don`t go any further than the 2 until after the gig, I think those pints have become their security blanket. On the gigs where those guys have driven, so not touched a drop, they`ve been so much better, and come away with an attitude that "that gig was awesome". Yet still they try to not drive, so as to have a few. I was the same though, til I quit.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1331232711' post='1570056']
I've had a couple of pints but no more. And that was in a 2+ hour period before the first set so i'd be 'sober' before starting. Once we're playing I stick to soft drinks to keep hydrated and remember the songs (90% successful :lol:)
[/quote]

I'm pretty much the same, I'll nurse a couple of pints in the hours beforehand, and have another one on stage. I don't really feel much effect from it and can play properly.

no, I don't drink, even on 'pub' gigs. You're only as good as your last gig, and there is always the potential to miss out on further work if someone sees you a bit squiffy during a performance.

Even without risky future income I don't drink before a show, as I don't consider it professional etiquette. Coffee, on the other hand is a different story