Why become a member? ×

Is it acceptable for Pro musicians to drink.

TimR

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331297981' post='1570952']
I have recordings of me playing gigs where I was certainly tipsy and recordings of me playing gigs completely sober and IN THE COLD LIGHT OF DAY the recordings of me playing when tipsy are better.
[/quote]

I'm similar. I have recordings of me playing sober and recordings of me playing after a few. There's no discernible difference in quality.

I've certainly never been asked to redo lines because I've played them half cut.

Up to the individual (and individuals involved) to decide what is and isn't acceptable.

What I don't concur with is the holier-than-thou "I don't drink cos it cheats the punters" and therefore no-one else should either. That's a contraction of "I don't drink because I think it effects my performance and I think that cheats the punters". Nothing wrong with this, but when that position intrudes on your ability to form balanced opinions of others, or your perspective of someone else or their performance, that's wrong. It's a superimposition of your own viewpoint onto someone else who doesn't share that position. Judging apples against oranges. At best an impairment of your musical appreciation, at worst, a form of bigotry.

I find my performance degrades if I've not eaten properly, or have even the slightest of hangovers. That doesn't mean I get all high and mighty on those who miss meals on the day of a gig, or skip breakfast before a session.

Edited by bigjohn

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331297406' post='1570935']
Sadly I'm not keen on Ovaltine. What about hot chocolate? Actually scratch that, I don't think it would help my vocal chords...;-).
[/quote]

I met a singer from a band that I supported at TJ's @ Newport one night that drank Night Nurse before going on stage!? That's the weirdest one I have ever come across.

I don't touch drink till I've finished my gig, even then I usually won't touch the stuff till I'm packed up.

I won't book anyone to anything if they drink before they gig, I book people to be 'on it', not 'nearly on it'.

I know some people drink before a gig because it relaxes them, but it doesn't work for mee. :P

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1331304360' post='1571105']
I don't touch drink till I've finished my gig, even then I usually won't touch the stuff till I'm packed up.

I won't book anyone to anything if they drink before they gig, I book people to be 'on it', not 'nearly on it'.

I know some people drink before a gig because it relaxes them, but it doesn't work for mee. :P
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1331282943' post='1570627']
The OP asked about professionals specifically. Maybe the thoughts of amateurs/semi-pros should ber another thread? :)
[/quote]

Indeed. Amateurs and semi-pros are in another league entirely. Lose the gig and no worries. If you're a pro and you lose the gig, word gets round and you're out of a job entirely. I would imagine, but I'm not a pro so that's why I'm asking.

The problem with the "I know how much I can drink without it affecting my performance" attitude is that it is complete rubbish. The last person who should decide whether they've had too much is the person who's had too much.

Although having said that I did a gig fro a 30th birthday where we got paid very well. We turned up, all of us acting very proffesional, and sat and waited in the bar until it was time to play. Unfortunately I had a couple of pints, normally no problem, but on an empty stomach, a late night before etc. When we went on I looked at my music and realised I was completely p****d. Not slightly relaxed like I would usually be! Turns out the lager had been 5%. I played reasonably but it was very un-nerving.

Edited by TimR

[quote]I guess it's down to the individual and them having awareness of how it affects their abilities.[/quote]

That kind of sums things up for me. If you're the kind of person who can still play after a bottle of Jack then fair enough but the term beer goggles comes to mind here. As has been previoudsly mentioned, what can seem great at the time when under the influence is often far worse.

For my part I feel drink and drugs at least take the edge off my playing making me less sharp and less aware while st the same time making me believe I'm playing a lot better than I actually am. These days I choose to abstain but that's my choice and not meant to be a judgement on anyone else. I've done my fair share of imbibing various substances so can speak from both perspectives and honestly feel I play better straight..

The professionalism aspect is a good point though. Yes, you wouldn't expect your doctor to pull out a bottle of Scotch during a consultation or your taxi driver to retire to the nearest booser in between fares but on the other hand there's no law against being drunk in charge of a bass so I think it's more important to remain professional in what you're doing and as long as you're able to do what you're being paid for to the best of your ability that's fair enough.

But then again it might also depend on who's paying you.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1331225515' post='1569843']

I'm talking about pro backline players of function, theatre, big name tours here, rather than pro musician doing a pub gig or famous singers on the vodka. ;)

[/quote]

I do wonder whether people here ever read the whole question before replying.

Obviously certain famous names have been known to abuse substances and a pub gig has s different atmosphere completely.

It just seems a bit strange to me that someone gigging night after night should treat a gig like a special night out. I only drink now if I'm going out to celebrate something.

Yesterday it featured heavily in the news that middle aged people are drinking almost every night. The incidence of obesity is growing and no one seems to know why.... Hmmm.

Although hanging-out (which involves quite a bit of drinking, of course) with other musos is a big thing in getting connections/gigs (esp in pop scene), but even before starting my career (I'm a freelance player) I was a complete abstainer and I simply refuse to drink any sort of alco (guys in the band use to joke that they hire me, because I pass them all free beers that we're getting on gigs :) ), and while I'm taken a bit of a stranger sometimes, it didn't stop me from getting job, so why would I?.

easy
L

Edited by Faithless