Why become a member? ×

Most hateful song on your covers bands set list?

Dave Tipping

[quote name='spike' timestamp='1357926801' post='1930793']
Judging by the audience reaction when we play it, far fewer than I'd like
[/quote]

We morphed it into a swingy jazz version and it worked very well , though we've dropped it now.

Rather than dump stuff if you're bored - change it so you're not !!!

You haven't suffered till you've had to play [i]My Ding-a-Ling[/i] and [i]Combine Harvester[/i]. The drummer (need I say more) who ran that band always used to programme his [i]Combine Harvester[/i] next to my [i]Hallelujah[/i] or [i]Perfect Day[/i].

Didn't we do all this about the same time last year..? :huh:

Don't play covers now, but in a previous band we did 'The Time Warp' as a finale and I very nearly lost the will to live.
The brass section, singers and guitarist all did the bloody dance moves as I stood very still and scowled into the audience.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1357907327' post='1930314']
Fantastic bassline, love paying it.
[/quote]

I play in a Free tribute band so I have to play it every gig, their biggest song so it has to be done.

It's certainly not the best Free song, there are loads better and I absolutely love playing Mr Frasers basslines.

I have a worm sandwich list. ie I'd rather eat one than play..... again. It's caused quite a few heated discussions over setlist choices in most bands I've been in and includes of a lot of the usual "Classic" rock covers that I played when I was 15 : Alright Now, Brown Sugar,Sweet home Alabama, Brown Eyed Girl, Summer of '69 etc etc yawn.
However absence can sometimes make the heart grow fonder, as does the money ;) : I now rarely play them except when depping, which I love, and it can be quite comfortably familiar/nostalgic when doing them with a new band for the first time. We have a pretty good setlist in my regular band although there are a few contenders edging their way up the oh not again chart

I think that songs like Sex on Fire, Valerie,I Predict a Riot and Dakota will soon become the new Mustang Sallys for a lot of bands; already there for me.
Are audiences really so keen to hear another cover of Come up and See me ?

Mony Mony ?
not 'alf mate ?

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1358181319' post='1934384']
Sorry mate, I only joined a week ago and I'm sure there are a few other new members ;)[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]NP - It was a rhetorical question, really - if I was [i]that [/i]exasperated I would have just ignored the thread. :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

I think this thread proves (if ever proof were needed) that todays popular music is bo**ox. 95% of the songs mentioned in this thread are 30 or more years old. Is nobody writing decent songs anymore? I mean, for chrisakes, I'm 56 years old, and some of you guys are still playing songs that I was playing in my teens. Please don't tell me some of you are still playing Hey Joe, Proud Mary or Sunshine of your Love :angry:

;) ;)

Edited by SteveK

• 1 month later...

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1358189465' post='1934582']
I think this thread proves (if ever proof were needed) that todays popular music is bo**ox. 95% of the songs mentioned in this thread are 30 or more years old. Is nobody writing decent songs anymore? I mean, for chrisakes, I'm 56 years old, and some of you guys are still playing songs that I was playing in my teens. Please don't tell me some of you are still playing Hey Joe, Proud Mary or Sunshine of your Love :angry:

;) ;)
[/quote]

But they're complaining that they hate them, not praising them up!

Being a fellow 50something grumpy-old-man, I reckon 95% of music is bo**ox, regardless of when it was written.