Why become a member? ×

Most hateful song on your covers bands set list?

Dave Tipping

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1328476891' post='1527843']
Sex on Fire. I hate the song, but the audience seem to love it.
[/quote]

Did a WMC in Sheffield last year with my 60's/70's covers band. At the end of the night the concert sec came up whinging that we should've played Sex on Fire......got a blank look when I asked if that was an obscure Small Faces number.

Yeah, my thoughts too! (To Fender73, that is)

In my two bands we play a good half of all those whinged about. I used to quite like Chasing Cars, but not since I've been playing it for a year. It's the second song in our second set (and I don't play on the acoustic version of Good Riddance), so I start off at the back of the pub and then wander through the punters to the stage while playing it. In one gig the birthday girl took vocals and all her mates crowded the stage, so I didn't make it until the song had finished.

And we play it in my other band too.

Edited by Jacqueslemac

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1328537928' post='1528636']
Got to agree there Jon. Yours and my band are poles apart. Its all good for the punters though....
[/quote]
+1 - there's only one song we do on here, its mentioned a few times but I don't mind it to be honest - it's a nice rest :P. The drummer hates it, he never comes in at the right place!
I didn't realise it was the new Mustang Sally, we'll probably have to drop it now. It always raises the roof when we play it, and Lozz has a point, we're there to entertain. You know even Tom Jones hates doing Delilah, but he does it, and he smiles because thats what he is being paid for.

As a covers band, we deliberately try to do stuff that nobody else is doing (at least on the circuit we play) because we don't want to turn up and play something that they have heard every week for the last 10 years! We get a lot of re-bookings because we do stuff that people know but don't hear so often... So Sex on Fire will have to go unfortunately, to be replaced with something similarly anthemic!

Deffo..the last thing I want to hear is a band doing the same old numbers ..but it happens..A LOT..around here.
Plus, there is no imagination so the format quickly becomes a gtr-led band, endless widdles, limited sound and
invaribly a make-do vocalist.
I blame do-it-all gtrs..who obviously can't...

Re Sex On Fire, the band had been doing Molly's chambers for a while so we thought we'd have a go at another of theirs. I was adamant we weren't going to do Sex On Fire as I'd heard it by practically every covers band I'd seen over the last 6 months. However after perusing KoL's back catalog I was struggling to find something with similar impact. In the end I picked Use Somebody which apparently is also fairly common yet I've not heard anyone do it locally myself.

'Midnight at the Oasis' was one of the reasons I turned a band offer down. I can't stand that song. I know it's great bass playing etc. but my irrational loathing of the song would spoil any bassline-playing enjoyment.
I'm happy to play a 'dull' bassline, as long as it serves the song well and I like the song.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1328543640' post='1528755']
'Midnight at the Oasis' was one of the reasons I turned a band offer down. I can't stand that song. I know it's great bass playing etc. but my irrational loathing of the song would spoil any bassline-playing enjoyment.
I'm happy to play a 'dull' bassline, as long as it serves the song well and I like the song.
[/quote]

Be thankful you're not the singer singing that line 'Send your camel to bed.' Anyway, whose bed was it going to??

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1328557566' post='1529118']
Dakota as played by me - dig in hard, mix between octave and low E, octave punctuations on C# and A, Eb-E accents with octaves back into E. Dig in hard for A in chorus, Driving 8ths, chords and some 16ths on end section. GREAT FUN!
Don't know why so many dislike playing this!
[/quote]

I guess they / I just don't like the song? ... It is a pretty dull song for the most part (I don't just mean the bass line)... A few people have made comments along the lines of "you are in a covers band .. shut up and get on with it" ... I Do! It just it'd be wrong to not hate the odd song! ... I love most of the songs on my current bands set list .. it's just there are a few crowd pleasers we'd be wrong to drop ... but like I said have me hating the people on the dance floor! lol ... It is funny to see so many of the same tunes though!

1 Red House ( as previously mentioned )
2 You look wonderful tonight ( thankfully done only at weddings , so rarely done )
3 While my guitar gently weeps , now known as while the bass player gently weeps
4 Sensative kind (JJ Cale ), this was like having a tooth extracted very slowly with no aneasthetic

I like Dakota , and i wish our band did sex on fire .

[quote name='Kes' timestamp='1328493660' post='1528126']
I've always hated 'hey Jude'

can't stand the song. a few years ago when in a covers band that played gigs about once a week. we all hated the song and so never played it.

Got asked as a special request from the person who booked us, so learnt it, played it once or twice during practice, played it once on stage for them and NEVER AGAIN.

Ugh, horrible horrible and i'm surprised its not on more people's lists...
[/quote]

Try pedalling the F at the end (Nahhh na na) of the tune over the Eb major nd the Bb major. Much more fun.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1328566931' post='1529385']
Try pedalling the F at the end (Nahhh na na) of the tune over the Eb major nd the Bb major. Much more fun.
[/quote]

There's a great bass line over the end in the Love version. whenever we do hey Jude thats always the highlight for me.

Oooo, just noticed the spell checking is now working again in firefox.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1328542714' post='1528730']
Re Sex On Fire, the band had been doing Molly's chambers for a while so we thought we'd have a go at another of theirs. I was adamant we weren't going to do Sex On Fire as I'd heard it by practically every covers band I'd seen over the last 6 months. However after perusing KoL's back catalog I was struggling to find something with similar impact. In the end I picked Use Somebody which apparently is also fairly common yet I've not heard anyone do it locally myself.
[/quote]

We're the same in being determined not to do Sex on Fire, so we do Radioactive instead. Seems to go down well enough - still in the set after a year.

Have to say I hate doing Green Day songs.

I like the first three lol but I have played them on the guitar more!
Noel Reading is a personal hero and so is Nathan East :)

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1328565256' post='1529329']
1 Red House ( as previously mentioned )
2 You look wonderful tonight ( thankfully done only at weddings , so rarely done )
3 While my guitar gently weeps , now known as while the bass player gently weeps
4 Sensative kind (JJ Cale ), this was like having a tooth extracted very slowly with no aneasthetic

I like Dakota , and i wish our band did sex on fire .
[/quote]

Meh... I was going to say 'Alright Now' because that and Caroline were the generic 'go to' starter songs that every school band kicked off with in the early to mid '70's and worryingly you still hear them... However... Still cracking songs and you can really do wonders with that riff...especially on a 24 fret neck.

I have to say though that if at all possible I try to add my 'feel' into a cover so irrespective of the song there's always fun to be had, even if it's being rock solid and totally tight. We don't 'do' covers in the 'Just like the record' sense...although I have done in the old Glam Rock band I used to dep for

If the band's tight and the punters love it, It's great...Don't care what it is

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1328536993' post='1528610']
Yeah, my thoughts too! (To Fender73, that is)

In my two bands we play a good half of all those whinged about. I used to quite like Chasing Cars, but not since I've been playing it for a year. It's the second song in our second set (and I don't play on the acoustic version of Good Riddance), so I start off at the back of the pub and then wander through the punters to the stage while playing it. In one gig the birthday girl took vocals and all her mates crowded the stage, so I didn't make it until the song had finished.

And we play it in my other band too.
[/quote]

We do exactly the same, Good riddance with vox and guitar followed by Chasing cars, drums and bass come in at the last chorus.
Goes down well, we also do most of the ones mentioned before. But the one i hate with a passion is Rocking all over the world.
We all hate it apart from the singer, he says everyone dances to it. It's the third last song, everyones pissed they'd dance to anything at 1245.