Why become a member? ×

Most hateful song on your covers bands set list?

Dave Tipping

Just hoiked Allright now out.No need, turgid rotting hoary old bollocks.
Dakota... week 4.." So have you found a patch for the intro Miss keys player" "erm?" ffs
Stuck in..
Come up and see me
Brown sugar. I mean WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
Maggie May. Gratuitous use of mandolin
I`m a believer.
Brown eyed girl.

Why are we ALL playing the same sh*te old songs?

It will depend how we play them, more than the song being this or that.

If the band can do them and make it work, I'll mostly get on with it... if it doesn't, then I can hate a lot of things.
I don't tend to do gigs like that, though..or not for long.

The only one I can think of is Seek & Destroy by Metallica. I had played it in at least 3 different bands before I actually ever heard the original (like many of the songs I played back then, I still haven't heard some of them and don't even know what some of them were called), but by then I already hated it.

I've always hated 'hey Jude'

can't stand the song. a few years ago when in a covers band that played gigs about once a week. we all hated the song and so never played it.

Got asked as a special request from the person who booked us, so learnt it, played it once or twice during practice, played it once on stage for them and NEVER AGAIN.

Ugh, horrible horrible and i'm surprised its not on more people's lists...

[quote name='Kes' timestamp='1328493660' post='1528126']
I've always hated 'hey Jude'
[/quote]

Yeh that song is brainless. Cant think of anything decent to sing or play? Just yell Na Na Na NAAAAAAA

The band I used to play in did Murder on the Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis Bextor. If that song doesnt define purified evil , i dont know what does.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1328483467' post='1528004']
Many, but the one I really hate is 'You Can Call Me All', by Paul Simon. I never liked Paul Simon, but the drummer in one of my bands is a massive fan and on top of it he wants to sing this song. I already told everybody I absolutely hate it, but I guess the more I say it, the more they want to play it, so I gave up.
[/quote]
with the bolloxy bass 'solo'. half reversed (or compressed to hell, cant remember). I used to play that one too. You poor bugger.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1328495189' post='1528130']
with the bolloxy bass 'solo'. half reversed (or compressed to hell, cant remember). I used to play that one too. You poor bugger.
[/quote]

As far as i know to record it they played the first half of it then reversed the recording of it..

never heard that song played live... will have a hunt on youtube now to see what I can find out of curiosity...

Desperado, or anything else by the Eagles. I think unless you have at least [i]thought[/i] about going to the states (or at least, out of East Lancashire) then you have no right to play anything 'Americana'.

I also think the Eagles are sh*t, so I guess that doesn't help. :angry:

I couldn't give a toss what I play, however if I start disliking a song then I tend to add something to it so I get something from it. For example sex on fire, the challenge is to do the most insane licks when transitioning through the chorus. Summer of 69 I try and introduce as many chromatic runs as I dare without it sounding sh*t. Mustang Sally is all about playing with octaves and getting the transition right. Dakota I use a organ type foot keyboard thing to get some bass synth going to fatten out the sound whilst playing. Amazing how hard it is to play your feet, fingers and sing backing harmonies at the same time, and as a result what could be the most boring song becomes quite challenging.

Some songs however you have to sit back and accept the song for what it is and just enjoy playing it in front of an audience. Chasing cars is one of these, as is With or Without You. Then the fun is to try and put your band mates off while they are concentrating....

Been years since I played covers but one I do remember, back in the day, was 'Take me to the river', the Talking Head's version of the Al Green number. Now, I was a BIG Heads fan back then but I grew to dread the 'doof chik, doof chik' as the drummer started the intro to the piece. 'Oh sh*t...' I would go and would relax a little as I began the bassline but I began to have the notion that 'THIS IS WRONG!!' every time I played it.Great song and it was a showstopper - in the [i]true [/i]sense of the word! I used to move about a bit more than this song commanded cos I didn't want the punters to see me cringing as we played it.

[size=5][sub]yep..was told to listen to the Al Green version by a very good harp player who thought we did it all wrong...!![/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]Why would I care...? if there is a track we do that I am not knocked out about, it is that one.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]It is one of those songs that is too easy to jam..and then you just don't get it.[/sub][/size]
[size=5][sub]We do it as a dancey type thing in a pub..but I'd rather not bother.[/sub][/size]

[size=5][sub]The way we do it does nothing for me.... and I don't think it fits the set either..!![/sub][/size]

I do think "Der Puntas" still enjoy a lot of the more mature odes.
But, I reckon they would enjoy alternatives just as much.
In my current band, my aim is to balance the set 50/50 with older classics and modern hits.,it`s still 70/30 classics yet.
We just had a "bring two songs each by bands from the last ten years" type deal, and got 6 very good, instantly recognisable modern hits.
Whether we will starve huddled in a corner of an un-heated rehearsal room through lack of work remains to be seen.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1328483590' post='1528006']
OOooo I've just remembered an old pet hate .. *chasing cars* ... Wow what a dull song for a bass player
[/quote]

Not really a fan of the song but quite like playing it as can get away with some nice melodic lines over it

my most hated song has to be Maggie May, boring song that doesnt really go anywhere

My MHS is 'Sympathy for the Devil'. Used to mind seeing an Edinburgh band murder an already awful song. I also remember being in a band where the two guitartists launched into an impromptu version of it, without telling the drummer or I. Shambolic!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1328483590' post='1528006']
OOooo I've just remembered an old pet hate .. *chasing cars* ... Wow what a dull song for a bass player
[/quote]

Yup, probably the low point for a gig where covers are required - gets a good respnse though.

Also not a fan of the Libertines.

My last (now defunct) band also had Dakota in the list. However I took on the lead vox for that so it seemed to go by fairly quickly and I didn't drag it out fully at the end. Our drummer was depping in another band and he was all for us chaging our version to how the other band did it - he said they based it on a live vs where the ending 'went all quiet and basic and then slowly built back up again' I took one look at him and said 'You mean it actually goes on even longer than the studio version?' The one that I never really got into was Zombie by the Cranberries. I'd already done it in a previous band and thought I'd escaped it for good. I came to despise Sweet Home Alabama but not done that in a band for 6 or 7 yrs now.

Edited by KevB