Why become a member? ×

BC meetup @ the London Bass Guitar Show, 03 and 04/03/12

Silvia Bluejay

I'm really easy to spot... I'm tall, balding and look like a thug who is going to either kick you out or beat you up (I'm a nice lad really, I promise)!

I'll be on the JHS stand and flickering between the Stompbox stand, the BassGear stand and various others. Oh yeah, and taking the mic out of Tom Kent!

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1330623791' post='1560664']
Here's an update:

BassDirect - Dbass, Darkglass, Joe Hubbard, [b][color=#800080]Fran (aka Grand Wazoo) easily recognizabe on crutches.[/color][/b]
Bassgear - Molan, TomKent
Hartke - Dood
guitarguitar - wesfinn
MarkBass - Steve Lawson (+ masterclass Sun!)
EAD - david l perry
Status Stand - G-77
Stompbox - dudewheresmybass
Overwater - Scott Devine
JHS - BigJim

[b]Random wanderers, Sat[/b]
Lozz196, Rumple, Machines, sibob, billyapple, raggy, discreet, urb (will be at wimbush/thorne masterclasses), goblin, blackmn90, ped (tbc), charic, Mr Lizard, The Greek, exbass, louisthebass, seashell, bluejay, hobbayne, mike f, jamesbass116,

[b]Random wanderers, Sun[/b]
Walman, gcut58, ras52, seashell, bluejay (tbc), PTB, Jamie_k11, ped (poss) [color=#800080][b]Fran (aka Grand Wazoo) [b][color="#800080"]easily recognizabe on crutches.[/color][/b][/b][/color]
Plus some newbie called JPJ or something. Not sure if he's a member though so we may have to ignore him. ;)

That's my last update now. I'll be off line tomorrow as am driving down to Surrey and visiting the Aged Parent.
Then I'll be going up to that Lunnon on the train from Walton on Thames Sat and Sun.
Really looking forward to it and to meeting some of you guys.
I don't have a BC shirt to identify me, but I'm blonde and will be wearing glasses and an over-awed expression.
Bluejay - I'll text you to confirm our meet up when there. :)
[/quote]

Updating your update.....

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've just spent all afternoon with Doug Wimbish. He is going to be amazing at LBGS. What a top chap! We've jammed together - I played his super Spector, all battered and bruised but awesome and he made my Shuker sing!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150603394298123&l=384dcbad36

Picture link hopefully!

I'm home again! it's great that there is a dedicated bass show but all those basses being slapped at once made for a horendous sound, next year I shall go for specific workshops etc.

The only Basscatter I passed and recognised was 'bluejay' but she was deep in conversation on the Rotosound stand so I didn't butt in to say hi.

Look forward to peoples reports on the various performances over the next day or so.

R.

Right. I think I may have to iron a Sh1teShirt for identification purposes :gas:

Todays task before the gig. Pick up the booked train ticket and get a parking ticket for the station car park

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1330783624' post='1562961']
I'm home again! it's great that there is a dedicated bass show but all those basses being slapped at once made for a horendous sound, next year I shall go for specific workshops etc.
[/quote]Add to that some overly loud drum beat backing tracks/machines and auto wah and it was indeed a nasty noise.

I screwed up and got there way too early and was too tired to hang around for Paul Turner at 5:00pm. I saw Dood but didn't notice anyone else.

High spot for me was Troy Miller, Yolanda Charles' drummer, great player.

I popped along for an hour (I live nearby, Hammersmith way) and the volume wasn't as bad as last year but still intrusive enough to mean you couldn't really have a conversation without craning your neck and saying pardon every so often. I bumped into Dood, Wes (wesfinn), Mark from BassDirect, Barrie (Molan) and Phil (born2bmild) at Bassgear, Alan (skelf) of ACG guitars.

TBH, nothing particularly floated my boat purchase-wise, although there were some v nice instruments and rigs there (ACG have some beautiful builds in particular).

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1330798593' post='1563223']
It would only have sent me down an unnecessary GAS spiral...
[/quote]

Sounds like the terrible onslaught of massed slap-bass playing would have prevented you from concentrating on anything for more than a minute! :D

Edited by discreet

Thought the event was ok, glad to see the air horn coming out when the sound levels of the incessant slapping got too much. Yolanda Charles Masterclass was very good indeed, despite the late start - would have liked to have seen Paul Turner, but called it a day about 2:30.

Really liked those GMR basses, if the lottery comes up might have to investigate one.

Met Stuart Clayton, Scott Devine, and the legend that is Bruce Foxton - top fellas one and all :) .

Edited by louisthebass

Had a go on a USA 62 RI P Bass on the 'guitar guitar' stand, what a beauty! but I couldnt really hear myself above the thwackety whaketty slappers at full volume. <_<
Caught the Tony Butler masterclass, he seemed a pleasant enough chap, some great drum and bass moments with his ex Big Country drummer Mark Brezicki :D
I was quite surprised that I could wander in without being stopped :blink: I did fess up, but the security guy must have had a right earful from his boss!

Back home! I met Shelley (seashell) early on in the day, then spent most of the time flitting from one masterclass or gig to another. We were unable to identify most of you guys who were there, though, and hoped you would recognise us.

Rumple, you should have said hi! And seashell was with me while I was talking to Jason of Rotosound.