Why become a member? ×

BC meetup @ the London Bass Guitar Show, 03 and 04/03/12

Silvia Bluejay

Back home. Bumped into Shelly (Seashell), and both of us went along to see the totally awesome TM Stevens. I found the trade-stand area much too overpowering. I was trying to chat with Alan at the ACG stand, and to play some basses thru headphones, but the stand over the road was way too selfish with their volume (stand C5, naught naughty!). Much props goes to the Ernie Ball stand who supplied many many basses and many many amp/headphone set-ups. Also went to see the Tony Butler Master-class. I was never a huge Big County fan, but I really warmed to him. Funny and humble, with a style that is both simple and powerfull. He raised big tone and sound using what must be the cheapest Sig Bass out there.

Billyapple, i missed you by a whisker a couple of times this afternoon!

Freddy, I remember the website mentioning that masterclass but it disappeared soon after, and doesn't appear in the show literature at all. Are we sure we didn't read last year's lineup, which they left on the website for far too long? I can't remember now.

No it was definitely this year. If you look at the news section on their site it was released in December.

Bloody glad I didn't make the effort to go down only to find it was not going to happen.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330808310' post='1563374']
Billyapple, i missed you by a whisker a couple of times this afternoon!

Freddy, I remember the website mentioning that masterclass but it disappeared soon after, and doesn't appear in the show literature at all. Are we sure we didn't read last year's lineup, which they left on the website for far too long? I can't remember now.
[/quote]

I managed to meet up with mike f, big Jim, dood and a couple of others

Left with a significant sized hole in my pocket, but with some awesome gear!
I was really impressed with Sheldon Dingwall and his amazing super p! I'm already in talks with my luthier about a fanned project!

Was very fortunate to see the entwhistle buzzard too.

I was very chuffed to see the new ashdown Nate Mendel od, and the pino octave pedals.

Very nearly bought a gene Simmons axe bass, but thought the wife would have had something about it. Once she'd seen the picture, she said I should have bought it! Who'd have thought that? 8)

I took a young student of mine and he now is looking for a job to earn bass tokens!

The only disappointment for me apart from the noise issues, was that some of the more mainstream manufacturers were conspicuous by their absence.
What a perfect opportunity wasted by fender, Marshall, dean.........

Just got back. I stayed to see who won the Stingray - it wasn't me :( but I did get to see the Doug Wimbish masterclass which was basically not much like a masterclass and allot like a short gig. It was very good indeed. I liked just about everything there although l gave up trying anything plugged into an amp because I just couldn't hear myself play. The Ernie Ball stand had the right idea with the headphone amps. I tried a Dingwalls fanned fret bass for the first time too (£5,500 and taken off me very quickly by the guy on the stand)

Oh, didn't see anyone there other than Daf but that's 'cos I know him - I probably walked past a hundred BC'ers.

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330810606' post='1563417']
Is that the Vintage P-Bass?
[/quote]

It is indeed. He was playing thru an Ashdown rig (head+410+115), and coupled with [color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Brzezicki"]Mark Brzezicki[/url][font="sans-serif"][color="#000000"]'s drumming, I thought the sound was top-notch. It's a handsome looking bass too. There is another thread here which some have a pop at the validity of a cheap Sig Bass, and whether in fact he originally played a P. Tony told a story about when he was starting out, and being a big Chris Squire fan, wanted a 4001, and the costs involved. Or how everyone else wanted a Fender P. He admits JHS (Vintage) approached him, but his remit was to make something every-bit as good as a P, but at a price that a new starter could manage, and IMHO I think they've done pretty well. [/color][/font]

Also to add to Billyapples post above, did you know that Tony Butler has disconnected his tone pots for years, and this bass is too, if you want it reconnected in his Jhs P bass, you have to specify that you want it to be?
BTW billy, if you were sitting behind me, sorry for the coughing, First day out from having flu :(

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1330814864' post='1563466']
Also to add to Billyapples post above, did you know that Tony Butler has disconnected his tone pots for years, and this bass is too, if you want it reconnected in his Jhs P bass, you have to specify that you want it to be?
BTW billy, if you were sitting behind me, sorry for the coughing, First day out from having flu :(
[/quote]

The only coughing, or indeed choking sounds I heard were from the prices in the cafe... Any Sunday BC'ers should stock up from the Tesco's over the road.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1330811915' post='1563438']
[font=sans-serif][color=#000000]He admits JHS (Vintage) approached him, but his remit was to make something every-bit as good as a P, but at a price that a new starter could manage, and IMHO I think they've done pretty well. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

I read a review of this bass in BGM, and it's a good 'un by all accounts. Wilkinson hardware and pup, not too shabby. The V4MVW vintage white/maple version is a nice looker too, and at £269 is in direct competition with Squier, IMHO.

Edited by discreet

Long day at the show yesterday - was in the queue for 9:45 and stayed form Paul Turner - no wonder I feel a shade tired!

I wonder how many people there are NOT BCers? Met some just chatting to people in the queues for the masterclasses.

I went to the exhibition for the first hour (before the noise really started) - definately the best time for a chat and looking at some gear - GK MB112 is light enough to carry all the way from the Show to the Mulit-Story Car Park out back (had to get up early today to smuggle it into the house :-)

I mainly went for the Masterclasses and live performances - which were all really good and worthwhile - saw Yolanda Charles, Jay Darwish, Doug Wimbish, Paul Turner and TM Stevens, whose session was soooo good.

Not a bad listening and learning experience for one day!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1330819804' post='1563532']
I read a review of this bass in BGM, and it's a good 'un by all accounts. Wilkinson hardware and pup, not too shabby. The V4MVW vintage white/maple version is a nice looker too, and at £269 is in direct competition with Squier, IMHO.
[/quote]

On the other end of the scale was TM Stevens' Warwick, just off the map. Half way thru his set he got a lad on stage and gave him a go. He lit the LED's and a cheer went up, cracking stuff! Didnt have a huge rig either, played thru a Warwick 115 combo, and sounded great. His backing band were superb in all.

edit. put my text in discreet's, now taken out

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1330804013' post='1563309']

Rumple, you should have said hi! And seashell was with me while I was talking to Jason of Rotosound.
[/quote]

It would have had to have been in sign language :lol:

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1330807849' post='1563365']
I found the trade-stand area much too overpowering. I was trying to chat with Alan at the ACG stand, and to play some basses thru headphones, but the stand over the road was way too selfish with their volume (stand C5, naught naughty!). Much props goes to the Ernie Ball stand who supplied many many basses and many many amp/headphone set-ups.
[/quote]

+1 I tried to do the same, but it was pointless! - i really felt for Alan, John and Dave on the ACG/East/EAD stand - i think it was starting to drive them nuts... it was really out of order and as they were overloading the amps it just made them sound cr@p as well! Hopefully things are better today. :unsure:

I was fortunate enough to be dealing with Innovation/Ernie Ball on the strings and things stand in the entrance hallway - a lot quieter and everyone was sticking to the 15mins live sound per hour rule.

Just got back from the show. Was only able to stay for a few hours but spoke to all the people I needed to and met a few BCers too. Really good vibe at the show and although it was smaller than I expected the quiet sessions seemed to work pretty well.

Got some great contacts and new ideas in the pipeline. Next year I'll try and have a stand so we can all meet up there at some point.

Most random thing happened afterwards though. Just drove back to have lunch in Marlow with my BC book keeper Dave and we were spotted by a BCer who was in Pizza Express for his sisters birthday. I'm really sorry I have forgotten your username but it was great of you to come and say Hi! Give me a shout if it was you and I'll send you a present.

Cheers