Why become a member? ×

Fender or Fodera.?

bubinga5

just saw an interesting topic... If you could have the best that Fender (vintage also) has to offer, or the best that Fodera has to offer... for the rest of your playing days. and you couldnt sell it either... what would you choose.. interesting to see

Edited by bubinga5

Difficult...

Fodera would probably win out on construction (do Fender make any basses without bolt-on necks?)

Sound-wise a Fender would probably fit the kind of music I'm playing right now better.

However from the PoV of looks there is nothing from either manufacturer that inspires me to want to play their instruments.

Faced with the original criteria I'd probably go back to playing synth or guitar and picking something nice looking.

Edited by BigRedX

unfair!!! depends on taste, if you are commisioning fodera to build to your spec choices are unlimited. i.e 4/5/6/7 string, thru neck, choice of pickups and preamp, facing woods

fender would assign a master builder who would build you the perfect fender to your taste, but Iassume it would be a 4 or 5? precision/jazz or jaguar with stock pickups/electrics

Me personally would buy a previously enjoted yamaha TRB5 for under £500!!!!

Fender!
I've genuinely never played a Fodera where i've thought 'Wow this is sooooo much more amazing', gigged Fenders all my life and get great tone and super reliability.
I did play Molan's early 90's (I think) Fodera though and that was cool!

Si

Fender every time. I'll hold my hands up and say I just had to browse round Fodera's website to get a flavour for what they do, but having done so, they are exactly the kind of thing I started playing Fenders to get away from.

I love the look of the Fodera Matt Garrison - probably my favourite singlecut design and one of my all-time faves regardless - but I've never played one. Based on the other Foderas I've played I'd choose a nice old P Bass (probably a lightweight early 70s one like my old one; I seem to prefer the necks), assuming I could still get on with the body contour; it's been a while now since I played one. I know the Jazz doesn't work for me (pain!) but of course the top countour is different. Of course if anyone wants to lend me an MG to check out it'll be gratefully received!

Assuming I could get the MG to work for me that may be my first choice, but there are other basses out there I'd sooner have than either, unless the MG turns out to be significantly better (IMO) than the other Foderas I've tried; as individual basses of all types vary this is quite possible.