Why become a member? ×

What is a gig to you?

arthurhenry

A chance to get together with friends for a bit of fun?

A chance to experience the thrill of seeing an audience dance and sing along, knowing that you're partly responsible for them having a great night?

A chance to express yourself on your instrument, communicate with the audience and, to some degree, show what you can do?

Although I play in covers bands, I have to say, for me it's primarily the third option. Yes, even when I'm playing Brown eyed girl for the 300th time! Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I can't help but see it this way.

2 and 3 for me, plus the chance to earn an extra few bob. Although you forgot to put in the option where you are playing some crap tunes that you don't really like. Our set list ain't bad, but I Love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett grates a bit. Funnily enough it always goes down well.

2 for me, although with a bit of an edit, number 1 as well - to play music you like with like minded people. My band mates have become friends but having fun with friends is not what brought us together.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1325766753' post='1487244']
1, 2, 3 for me
and 4 - play some songs you hate for a bit of beer money ;-)
[/quote]

Edited to add number 4 (well on New Year's Eve) :D

Edited by Mykesbass

Gigging is the whole point of it all for me. Noodling away to yourself gets pretty old, lessons are intriguing and challenging but dry and clinical, practice/rehearsals are better, but usually carried out in a boxy room and there's no feedback except the (band) self congratulations when you get something working well.

Only at gigs do I get the rush of adrenaline of knowing there's nowhere to hide if I mess up, to see the reaction of the audience, to interact, and to have a beer or two for my effort :)

In the list you provided, probably 1 & 2.

Next gig is on the 14th and I'm getting excited already.

Depends what the gig is! When it's my own music, it's an opportunity to get the creative side of me (and the rest of my band) out to a wider audience, and also to network. It's brilliant. Money is often an afterthought though.

When it's covers, I'd be lying if I said I really loved it, but I do enjoy it and always try to put 100% in. It's just a way of me making money and funding the above ^^

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1325766156' post='1487226']
Probably 1 & 2 for me. Although I can riff-like-a-mutha, in both of my bands I play the holding role, so never really show my capabalities on the instrument, therefore 3 is most likely not me.
[/quote]
If you're laying it down solidly, then you're definitely showing what you can do!

I'd say in this percentage:

1 - 10%
2 - 50%
3 - 10%
4- get some cash that pays for GAS, drinks, petrol and other nefarious money sucking things - 30%

Depends on the gig and how much money we are getting though.

Not too worried about the friendship thing - yeah its good to like your band mates but not essential. I enjoy people having a dance and a good time which leads to more bookings so that is primary. Not too concerned abuot showing my licks and new skills in the context of a paid covers gig. Not interested at all actually but prefer to provide the foundation and groove. Jam nights are when i like to show off - hopefully to other musos who might appreciate what it is you are doing or trying to do.

Yeah, all three for me too. Although there's only a couple of songs they get to sing along to (all originals usually) & not much dancing to be had, but our audience is more of listeners than party goers. Although a couple of the folky dubstep numbers get folk up dancing!

Got a gig in Dundee on the 21st if anyone's interested?

1 and 2 for me too!

Mainly 2 to be honest - I do like to see people clearly having a good time as a result of what we're doing as a band, and the audience participation that goes along with it.

Although as others have said it's also nice to earn a bit of cash to pay for strings/gas related articles as well. :)

To be fair, I couldn't give a hoot on what people think on my playing ability, what's important to me is, playing in front of people and seeing the response of the audience to the collective musicians playing,, seeing people dancing and enjoying the set, no matter how big or small the venue is, is the best feeling ever as a musician.

A permutation of all three, the weighting of each depending on the circumstances.

Wavering off topic .....
The word 'gig' seems to be more and more adopted by people to mean 'a job'.

A mate of mine talks about having a 'gig' somewhere when he means a business meeting with other fat men in suits.

The worst case I've heard is a royal correspondent on the BBC saying her 'normal Christmas gig' was watching the Windsors go in and out of Sandringham church.
That one made me feel a bit nauseous :blink:

"Hello Sandringham! Are you ready to [s]Rock[/s] Royal!!"

Sometimes by the time the PA's setup, we've retrieved the mixer power supply and rushed out to buy more mike leads I can hardly remember that I've got bass to play. Usually by this point I'm getting nostalgic for folk clubs where you tune up and plug in.

Then there's a sudden fast forward and I'm drinking the best pint of cider in the world (it isn't, it's just Strongbow but we've just finished the set) and the gig is a vague blurry memory where I tried to smile at the barmaid (who seemed 100 miles away) and concentrated on making bottoms move. Not as direct a connection with the audience as singing solo but utterly exhilarating (nor the sense of feeling naked as no one appears to know 'Green Grows The Laurel' (it's only been around a century)) and I love being in a group.

Edited by cytania

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325768255' post='1487297']
For me at the moment, a gig means I can eat.
[/quote]

Yup, me too.
Also means I don't have to put up with some jumped up tossers in a day job, but for how long I'm not sure!

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1325772709' post='1487417']
A permutation of all three, the weighting of each depending on the circumstances.

Wavering off topic .....
The word 'gig' seems to be more and more adopted by people to mean 'a job'.

A mate of mine talks about having a 'gig' somewhere when he means a business meeting with other fat men in suits.

The worst case I've heard is a royal correspondent on the BBC saying her 'normal Christmas gig' was watching the Windsors go in and out of Sandringham church.
That one made me feel a bit nauseous :blink:
[/quote]
Actually, that is where the word 'gig' originally comes from - it was originally slang for a paying job rather than specifically a concert / performance

Edited by peteb