Why become a member? ×

What is a gig to you?

arthurhenry

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1325784427' post='1487682']
Actually, that is where the word 'gig' originally comes from - it was originally slang for a paying job rather than specifically a concert / performance
[/quote]

Thanks for that Pete. It's really interesting how the use of words change, and how they come in and out of fashion.
I remember seeing in a poem by Rudyard Kipling a reference to soliders 'going large in Aldershot'. Basically, out on the p*ss.
That was written about a hundred years ago I think.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1325784427' post='1487682']
Actually, that is where the word 'gig' originally comes from - it was originally slang for a paying job rather than specifically a concert / performance
[/quote]

Dead right, Pete. It hacks me off the way people use the word gig for a concert or a performance. The Royal Correspondent's use of the word was not inappropriate. Gig came from the time when most musicians were freelance and Jewish. Having got an engagement the musician would say 'God is good'. Hence Gig.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1325798058' post='1488056']

Dead right, Pete. It hacks me off the way people use the word gig for a concert or a performance. The Royal Correspondent's use of the word was not inappropriate. Gig came from the time when most musicians were freelance and Jewish. Having got an engagement the musician would say 'God is good'. Hence Gig.
[/quote]
Can't say that it bothers me at all, just goes to show how language evolves and words can take on slightly new meanings (as Len said above)

The term has always been used by musicians and actors - interesting to know that it has a Jewish origin!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1325784302' post='1487677']
Also means I don't have to put up with some jumped up tossers in a day job, but for how long I'm not sure!
[/quote]

To be honest Pete my bandmates have to deal with a jumped up tosser in their own band ( me )- How are you doing?- couple of your old brass section did a dep for us a few months ago where the level of musicianship went up 100%- know what I mean?

Money.

Is what I would say if that was all that was important ;)

Mostly the third option, I like to treat every gig like there is someone important watching, like I am making my debut on Jool's Holland, like it's my one and only chance to get noticed, like it's a crucial audition (for me, not the band!)

Hey, there may be only 40 people in the crowd at times, but you relaly don't know who might have popped their head around the door!

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1325803470' post='1488183']
As far as I'm concerned gigs have only ever been one thing to me....

More trouble than they are worth!

Maybe I've always been in the wrong bands, playing the wrong venue's but I can honestly say, I don't really enjoy them.
[/quote]

:o oh dear, oh dear oh dear. that's a shame. I think a gig is what you make it.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1325767014' post='1487255']
Depends what the gig is! When it's my own music, it's an opportunity to get the creative side of me (and the rest of my band) out to a wider audience, and also to network. It's brilliant. Money is often an afterthought though.

When it's covers, I'd be lying if I said I really loved it, but I do enjoy it and always try to put 100% in. It's just a way of me making money and funding the above ^^
[/quote]

For me it is this also. I have always done 95% original music so for me it is the whole creative side, from writing new material, to challenging yourself musically and as a performer as well as trying to offer something enjoyable and new to the listener.

I'll get a gig these days then stick it in my diary and then count up what I'll earn that month so I guess it's all about money for me right now BUT I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it.

I also think that audience satisfaction is right up. I always have a brilliant gig if the audience is having a brilliant night, so audience enjoyment plays a huge part.

At the same time, I love picking up jazz gigs which always pay much worse than my cover band so in that sense, that's my self indulgence and that's where I like to showcase my talent.

So, 2, 3 and 4 for me. Friends are all well and good and I always get on with those that I'm playing with and I'll never turn down a pint pre/post gig but for me making friends is more incidental than something that I gig for.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1325807938' post='1488287']
I spend the money on my misses to keep her happy!!!!
[/quote]

+1 usually end up breaking even at the end of the month to be honest, after I've treated the missus to make up for not being in all those nights and paid for petrol, strings etc. :) My 90s Jazz bass still hasn't paid for itself!

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1325841968' post='1488475']
To be honest Pete my bandmates have to deal with a jumped up tosser in their own band ( me )- How are you doing?- couple of your old brass section did a dep for us a few months ago where the level of musicianship went up 100%- know what I mean?
[/quote]

Hey Bob, am good thanks mate.
Have to catch your band again soon - let me know where you're playing?
Cheers,Pete.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1325846095' post='1488541']
:o oh dear, oh dear oh dear. that's a shame. I think a gig is what you make it.
[/quote]

Trouble is as I've got older gigs have become less fun, to the point where I now wonder why I play bass at all. I was in a band a few years ago where I owned the PA, which meant I had to load/unload a lot of kit, usually by myself. Arrive 2 hours before anyone else and at the end of the night do the same again. I didn't get any extra cash at the end of the night, or even a thank you for providing us with a PA system! It all got a bit depressing to be honest.

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1325934417' post='1489949']
Trouble is as I've got older gigs have become less fun, to the point where I now wonder why I play bass at all. I was in a band a few years ago where I owned the PA, which meant I had to load/unload a lot of kit, usually by myself. Arrive 2 hours before anyone else and at the end of the night do the same again. I didn't get any extra cash at the end of the night, or even a thank you for providing us with a PA system! It all got a bit depressing to be honest.
[/quote]

That is always the problem. I did the sound and lights for a couple of bands and that helped with the harmony of the members.

I humped all the gear / set up the stage etc for which I got a share of the cash.

It worked out well but in the end I wanted to play rather than roadie :) so I knocked it on the head and sold all the gear.

I am regretting selling the portable PA as the one I have in my rehearsal space weights a ton!

I haven't gigged for over a year, but from what I hear, and given the obvious state of the local music scene the average pub gig would probably mean 3 drunken chavs arguing by the fruit machine, a maincally depressed landlord and me wondering why I ever thought joining another band was a good idea.

[quote name='JPS' timestamp='1325957356' post='1490412']
I haven't gigged for over a year, but from what I hear, and given the obvious state of the local music scene the average pub gig would probably mean 3 drunken chavs arguing by the fruit machine, a maincally depressed landlord and me wondering why I ever thought joining another band was a good idea.
[/quote]

wow!

Where are you based (thinking of not going there to play) ?

:lol:

My gig last night totally summed up why I do this. Travelled 75mins to a small pub in Suffolk, set up in a tiny corner, played to a crowd of 20. 50 would have filled the space. There was an immediate connection and although there weren't many people they all engaged from the off, singing along and dancing. There was a huge buzz and energy - we got called for 3 encores. Left with £40 in my pocket which covered the fuel to get there, paid for my meal and a little bit left over. I love it - to do something I really enjoy doing with a bunch of blokes I get on with, make a group of people happy for a night AND get some money? That's enough for me.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1326021083' post='1491025']
My gig last night totally summed up why I do this. Travelled 75mins to a small pub in Suffolk, set up in a tiny corner, played to a crowd of 20. 50 would have filled the space. There was an immediate connection and although there weren't many people they all engaged from the off, singing along and dancing. There was a huge buzz and energy - we got called for 3 encores. Left with £40 in my pocket which covered the fuel to get there, paid for my meal and a little bit left over. I love it - to do something I really enjoy doing with a bunch of blokes I get on with, make a group of people happy for a night AND get some money? That's enough for me.
[/quote]

Exactly why I do it.

The last gig I did was a year ago (almost to the day) at a bikers rally. The bikers were more interested in keeping their bonfire going outside and playing stupid games with sausages inside (I kid you not) than watching the band. I ended up squeezed in between the very loud drummer and an even louder guita....sorry, tone deaf meathead, with no space to move. When the gig was booked I was told "These are really good gigs, a big crowd and well paid"

The total crowd was about 20 (loads more outside watching the bonfire though) and my share of the gig money just covered a round of drinks for the band and the guitarists girlfriend!

8 hours out of my life, no cash, damaged hearing and a feeling of total despair, no wonder I don't feel like doing it again.

Having said that, I am still on the lookout for a new band. You know, one that plays music I like, only does good, well paid gigs, owns a decent PA system that I don't have to lug about on my own and doesn't enjoy games that involve buckets of cold water and salami!

I think this is what keeps us going. Turned up for a corporate do at an extremely posh restaurant. 150 people. We got in early to setup and there was no space, they were't ready and we had to bugger off again. By this time we are all wondering why we do this but it was very good money (£250 per head) for 2 x 1 hour sets so we went for a Pizza and to cool down.

The gig was an absolute barnstormer with some lovely young fillys dancing right in front of me all night and the crowd was really up for it. Most un-corporate.

This is what keeps me going. The unexpected (and the cash).