Why become a member? ×

Lost loves..............

The Admiral

Christmas being the time of year when one can tend to become wistful and maudlin - particularly after one too many small sweet sherries - I wondered if anyone else has been thinking about the regret and sense of deep loss that can resurface, when you think about lost loves....................................of the bass variety.

Did you join a hair metal band in the 80s and forsake your 76 Jazz because it was 'too plain' and not cool enough, or perhaps you picked up a sexy Ibanez in a back street music shop, but felt disloyal to your steady old fat bottomed 'P', waiting at home for you, but only after you had spent hours with your little Japanese hottie.

Let it out brothers and sisters - come clean and confess - you know you'll feel better for it.

Here is mine :

An Aria SB Special II, in black, which was my second bass - bought after saving hard for it for most of 1984. £279 from a shop in Oxford, and sold on commision through what is now Dawsons in Abingdon, in about 1994/5 - to fund the purchase of a Marshall........... (and this is the worst part)...guitar amp. This was a really unusual bass : 2 humbuckers, with coil taps, and dual concentric volume/tones. I have never seen another, although I found a series of pictures on t'intenet.

[url="http://www.prog.rockers.co.uk/sbspecialii.htm"]http://www.prog.rock...sbspecialii.htm[/url]

Forgive me ..... I have sinned and sold a great bass!

My first Bass, Christmas 1987, a Westone Raider I. I loved that thing and had it for many happy years. Unfortunately, and through no fault of my own (which is the really sickening part), we found ourselves in crippling debt and I had to sell it. I still miss it and it breaks my heart everytime I think about it. If only I'd been able to hang on to it for a few more months we actually had some luck and I wouldn't have needed to sell it. I am still yet to find another Bass that is "The One".

The only photo I have of it I'm naked in the picture (Yeah, I loved it THAT much!), so you ain't seeing it! I wish I had the photos of my 18th birthday cake as it was modelled on that Bass, it was very cool.

Edited by KingBollock

1976, refinished by previous owner in late 70's, Sold in 2001 to pay bills, and for a lot less than it was worth as a Trace GP7SM 250w combo whent with it and a LOT of pedals (including an original Marshall "Guvnor"). Regretted it every day since.

[smug] I've thought long and hard for some minutes about which particular piece of kit I regret selling, and I don't regret any sales. They were all sold for a reason [/smug]

I DO however, regret not buying a fretless Wal for £700 roughy ten years ago; I was but a poor student at the time...

I'm lucky in that the only guitars and basses I've ever sold were because after owning them for a while I found I didn't really like them rather than because I needed the money to fund my next instrument purchase.

There are a handful of synths that I used to own that it would be nice to have again, but on the whole the ones I currently have between them do about 90% of those sounds and are more reliable and practical so there's nothing I really miss.

I slightly miss my Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard bass (which I don't mind boring people yet again with the details - 2x EMG-HB pickups, EMG-BQC 3 band EQ with mid sweep, John East knobs, selector switch added in the usual Les Paul location).

Then I look at my RD Artist and everything's OK again :)

This time last year I could have joined you miserable heartbroken wretches for a sup of bitter mead, for I, too, yearned for a foolishly sold guitar. However, this very year universe did align to my satisfaction, my lost love rose from the mist into my gaze once more and, luckily, I had the funds available to bring it home where it belongs after a series of events which played into my favour (actually, the guy put it up for sale at much less than it was worth, got offers matching his valuation and, upon realising this, jipped them and relisted it at a higher price, which I was able to negotiate down from to a sum considerably less than I sold it for). It's the feelgood story of the year.

It has two too many strings but I don't care. Huzzah!

Edited by Doctor J

This came up on ebay in September this year about 15 miles from my home.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250889211962&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I went to vew it and wanted it sooooo bad. I bid £2600 and as you can see it went for almost double my bid. I think that might have been a once in a lifetime bass I missed out on. It was perfect.

Sigh.

My big regret isn't a bass it's an amp, and a guitar amp at that! My first amp when i started playing was an old Laney Klipp and matching 4x12. I had no idea it was a guitar amp at first! I eventually decided i wanted a "proper" bass amp and traded it for a Marshall 1x15 combo. The feeling of regret is deepened by the fact that the Marshall was by far and away the worst piece of bass gear i've ever owned!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1324478755' post='1474753']
I DO however, regret not buying a fretless Wal for £700 roughy ten years ago; I was but a poor student at the time...
[/quote]

Spooky - one of my biggest regrets is selling a fretless Wal for ~£700 around ten years ago!

The one that started it all:

http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx160/Wombatchops/General/Bass/Status/

I had to borrow the pictures from the web so, if they are yours, let me know if you want them taking down.
No idea if it's been sold yet but it's up for £225. Mine cost me £65 in 1977 second hand. I believe it was made by Matsumoko (sp?).
A really nice first bass.

My biggest Not Buying regret was last year. I have wanted a BC Rich Warlock for over 20 years, earlier this year I decided I was going to go for it. I saw the perfect one in GAK, the 5 string NT. Of course, they'd stopped making them by then and by the time my birthday rolled around (which I was using as an excuse to buy it) they had sold their last one.

Next year I have to decide between a 2nd had Cort Curbow or trying to find a 2nd hand Warlock NT. But as I settled on a Cort T-35 5 String this year I shall be after a 4 string next year. Unless someone else decides to buy them all up and burn them. I never have any luck with these things, I've known whole businesses go bust and cities get wiped out just because I wanted something they sold or I wanted to visit. I'm cursed, or I am a curse.

Back in Early 1988 I bought a BB1100S. About 10 years later the band had split up and I was financially strapped so I sold the BB1100S to my mate. Bad news, no bass, good news I still had visiting rights whenever I went to his place (he's a guitarist). Fast forward to 2011 and in March I turned the ripe old age of 50. I got my BB1100S back as a birthday present :) . It remains one of the sweetest guitars I've ever played.