Why become a member? ×

Why do I have more than one bass?

LukeFRC

Just thinking really. I have an awesome amp and cab and 3 basses.

I play regularly but not always at church, at some point maybe ill be in a band again, it would be fun but I'm not busting a gut to join one.
And I have 3 basses... and they are all good.
and it crossed my mind that I would be just as happy, and just as able to play if I sold two of them, I don't need 3 basses.
Each time i've bought a 3rd bass before it's been sold. Sometimes I've gone up to 5 basses but it normally goes down to 2.
Hell i could sell all 3 and get some uber bass.... but then thats daft, as I've not ever played better basses than my main 2.
thats why they are my main two.
But I don't need two.
Or even 3.
So why do I have more than one bass?

You get bored with one, you can get refreshed by playing another.
One with flats, one rounds.
One with frets, one without.
One tuned EADG, one BEAD (or your favourite metal-friendly/horn-friendly variant)
One black one, one white one...
...and one with a bit of shyte on.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1320685496' post='1429998']
You get bored with one, you can get refreshed by playing another.
One with flats, one rounds.
One with frets, one without.
One tuned EADG, one BEAD (or your favourite metal-friendly/horn-friendly variant)
One black one, one white one...
...and one with a bit of shyte on.
[/quote]

+1, all these things. I've (stupidly) only got one bass at the moment after I got rid of my P-Bass earlier in the year and I'm already starting to be wound up by it as I'm in the throes of recording a new album and some songs just demand a P-Bass sound.

A regular performing bassist needs at least three basses. One to play and one as a backup. A backup is mainly needed to guard against a broken string. You can't keep your audience waiting while you restring ........ and besides, one new string in between three old ones wouldn't sound great. Just use the backup bass and restring 'em all when you get home.

Also, if you ever need to have one of your basses repaired at a shop, then you'll need to bring the third bass into action.

That's not considering the bassists who play different basses to get different sounds ........ fretless etc.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1320687169' post='1430035']
A regular performing bassist needs at least three basses. One to play and one as a backup. A backup is mainly needed to guard against a broken string. You can't keep your audience waiting while you restring ........ and besides, one new string in between three old ones wouldn't sound great. Just use the backup bass and restring 'em all when you get home.

Also, if you ever need to have one of your basses repaired at a shop, then you'll need to bring the third bass into action.

That's not considering the bassists who play different basses to get different sounds ........ fretless etc.
[/quote]
So, if you ever need to have two basses repaired at the same time then you'll need a total a four basses. There's no end to it. :)

Sensible justification aside, if you

a/ want more than one
b/ can afford more than one
c/ have room to keep more than one and
d/ are not going to get into bother with any significant other by having more than one

then I don't see it as an issue.

I always think 3 is a good number, two nice ones and a cheap but decent back up.

Bring one nice bass and the back up to each gig. If something goes wrong with nice bass number 1 at a gig, cheap one fills in. Whilst nice bass number 1 is getting fixed, nice bass number 2 takes its place. There is nothing wrong with owning loads of basses. If somebody has the money to buy them and wants to buy a bass rather than a TV/car etc, that is up to them.

Future 'logic' when I have money:

1. Since I am I based in two locations, I need a nice bass at each location.
2. Since I am so creative, I need a really nice bass in every room so that I am able to play whenever an idea enters my head.

i only have the two so you have the one plus one for backup principle - number one bass is the trb which i use for bright big sound number two bass i purposely went out and bought a squier jazz to use for all the older motown/soul/stax type stuff - you can roll off all the top from the trb but its still not quite the same as a jazz with a set of 'mellowed' strings :)

there is another bonus too - if you have a 35 and do all your practice on that, it will feel like a walk in the park when you then do it on a 34 :)

I've been gigging with just one bass for a while now although I do now own two basses. I've never broken a string in all the years I've been playing. I wonder how many take a spare amp for back up? I remember my old Ampeg going bang at the start of a gig, luckily I had an ABM500 with me.

I`m down to 2 at the moment, and intend on keeping it that way. I`ve been through the taking a backup to gigs thing, and not needed one - really hope I`m not putting a hoodoo on myself by stating that. I also years ago only had one bass anyway.

I only really need 1 bass, my gigging `77 Precision, but I can`t bear to sell my `97 Precision, so it`s 2 for me.

I have 5!! One (Washburn) out on loan to a kid from a poor family who wanted to learn bass (it has a nice slim guitar-like neck and 24 frets with good access) - had that one from new and its like a part of me, My Jazz because I always wanted a Jazz and it sounds SOOO nice jamming to JPJ basslines, My Fecker Pretender (P bass copy) as I am a P bass man at heart, another "bitser" P bass cobbled together from the leftover project bits, and an Epiphone T Bird that I wont part with as the wife bought it for me a couple of years after I had to sell my 76 Pbass for peanuts to pay bills. I love all my basses - I grew up on Phil Lynott and Steve Harris via Duck Dunn and Motown so I've always been a Pbass man, but each has their "sound" and Charachter. Wpould realy like a Ricky purely because of Bruce Foxton but even a Rickenfaker is out of the price bracket at the moment. That of course isnt counting the acoustic and the LP copy 6 string I have.. oh and a violin. Must get it from my parents, they both did the folk scene in the late 60's and the house before they divorced was full of every type of instrument you can imagine.

Down to 10 at the moment :)

Some are investment/ toys, some are workhorses, some I just like having about. I find sometimes I can get a bit bored with one that I have played lots, and feel a bit more inspired to practice playing something a bit different to the norm.

I need a few though, due to being in two bands, using different tunings, and for one band I am using two different tunings that require two different basses. The two five strings get the brunt of the work, Then have a couple of others tuned C standard that get some of the work, then the rest are really just for my own enjoyment, or for home practice when I am having a play along to tracks that use a more standard tuning.

I have 5.

Two fretted and two fretless 4 strings and a 5 string fretless.

They all get played at various times.

I have a fretted one in my bedroom to noodle on in the morning before work.

The rest are on the wall ready to go! (I have a very nice wife who loves me very much!)

I also have an acoustic guitar in my bedroom and 2 electric ones on the living room.

I am a sad git :)

(I used to have 12 guitars and one bass but as I play bass mostly these days my collection has changed)

The right number to have is however many you want.

If you're happy risking having just one then great. If you want ten and can afford/store them then again great.

This is about enjoyment and whatever you feel will make you enjoy it most played off against how much you want to spend / store will give you the right answer.

You're welcome!

Can't see the problem in having a collection of basses or guitars if that's your passion. We all work hard and it's nice to see your money being spent on things that give you pleasure rather than essentials such as food and bills Bonus with instruments is that if purchased second hand they hold value. Besides, there are a lot worse things you can spend your money on!