Why become a member? ×

Flea using his flea bass in the new RHCP video

dan2112

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1345007' date='Aug 19 2011, 12:23 AM']in fact the guitist is dreadful. i take it it's not john anymore?
bass and drums good mind, but without decent guitar it doesn't work[/quote]
It's a guy called Josh Klinghoffer who has previously worked with John on his solo albums.

[quote name='dan2112' post='1345020' date='Aug 19 2011, 01:03 AM']It's a guy called Josh Klinghoffer who has previously worked with John on his solo albums.[/quote]

John's solo albums are all brilliant. I particularly like the one he did with Josh.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1344808' date='Aug 18 2011, 08:18 PM']Iv bought most of my basses, aged 14-17 because someone i liked played them. [u][b]This includes an epiphone thunderbird, which is probably worse to play as the flea bass[/b][/u][/quote]

As someone who's been using one as their main bass for the best part of a year I'd have to completely disagree with you. It just didn't suit you. The two worst playing basses I have ever owned have been a Rickenbacker 4003 and a Modulus Flea but they just didn't suit me.

I am a huge Chilis fan and have been since before they became trendy. I still list Flea as one of my main influences and the band as the main influence on me. So much so that I have a Chilis tattoo on my forearm.

This song is bloody awful and this is going to be the first Chilis album I am not going to buy.

They've been a bit happy, clappy for the past few albums and I think that this is down to Anthony. I totally agree that John's stuff is fantastic but without him its just a bunch of tired, recycled, predictable riffs

And they will very much miss John's backing vocals as he adds a lot to the high end harmonies.

The Chilis are to jumping around to what Lemmy is to standing in one place for an entire gig with his mic sitting far to high :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1345119' date='Aug 19 2011, 09:25 AM']As someone who's been using one as their main bass for the best part of a year I'd have to completely disagree with you. It just didn't suit you.[/quote]

Your right, i think it was the narrrow string spacing more than anything. Also thanks for highlighting some shoddy english, i will edit right away :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1345305' date='Aug 19 2011, 12:02 PM']Narrow string spacing? are you talking at the nut or the bridge?[/quote]

who you calling a nut? :)

The Epiphone Thunderbirds necks don't taper like a Fender's does. They do taper but only very slightly. The Goth that I have is even tighter due to it having Jazz bass width at the nut

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1344896' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:46 PM']Judging by his crap tone in the video, Flea could well be using a Fleabass! His Modulus sound was his best by some margin.[/quote]

Personally I think the Wal on BSSM is is his best sound.

[quote name='John Schoen' post='1344826' date='Aug 18 2011, 08:32 PM']I replaced it with an EMG 35DC; it sounds and plays better now than basses that cost twice as much. :)[/quote]

I've heard of a few people doing this, which seems more of a credit to the pick-up than the bass.

A shame, I would say.

[quote name='yorick' post='1345489' date='Aug 19 2011, 02:38 PM']So........ what hapened to Frusciante?[/quote]

He's about near a dozen solo albums - I just think he got into his own things and left the band; I don't remember there being any flare-up or drama the last time, and I'm pretty sure they all played on his last album.

Klinghoffer is decent guitarist, but it has to be scary jumping into a band like the chilis AND replacing one of the greats of our time. Give him time to mature and settle in. Song is good but not great IMO, hope that it's not the best from the album as it's 'lead single' status would suggest.

I really like the outro. Its not as bad a song as I thought it was when I first heard it. Must say I won't miss the Frusciante overly layered falsetto vocals on every bloody song, but they will miss his talents as a songwriter and guitarist. I can't really make any judgements on the new guitarist as the guitar doesn't really feature much in the song.

All I can really take from this video is that Flea is using his own bass and is not using Gallien Krueger anymore, though I'm guessing that most of the recording was probably done to a DI and louds of plug ins rather than using the amp. The bass sounded like a bass played by Flea, which it was. Also Flea and Kiedis seem to be in great shape for 48 year old men. (Though they are 48 year old multi-millionaires living in California, which could perhaps help.)

I do quite like this song tbh. Although the brilliance of Frusciante's guitar is missing, the new guitarist changes the roots of the Chilli's a bit and this is new stuff and a new direction. Plus who knows if Flea did use his Fleabass on the recording? Most likely he's showing it in the vid for publicity.