Why become a member? ×

Flea using his flea bass in the new RHCP video

dan2112

I'll be reserving full judgement until I hear the album, but Rain Dance Maggie is a grower. The thing with the new guy Josh Klinghoffer is he is one of John Frusciante's close friends, and also toured with the Chili's as a second guitarist on their last tour or two, so, to me, he's the natural choice as John's replacement. Apparently, he adds some good bv's to the new record, and plays keyboards too, so I think everything will be fine. Let's face it, the Chilis won't be getting in any old shmuck to replace Mr. Frusciante, will they? He's got to be good to get anywhere near that band.
But I think they do need a different producer. Rick Rubin has worked on every album RHCP have put out in the last 20 years. His producton style is...well...pretty minimal (I've read stories of him helping bands to set up the gear for the right sound, then buggering off for days at a time, and just letting the band play to the engineer), and I think it's their sound and not the band that is getting a bit tired. Of their more recent output, I find their more atmospheric stuff like "Desecration Smile" works really well, so I would love to hear them hook up with someone who would give them a whole new edge, but still retain that unique RHCP vibe. I'm a fan, and want to stay a fan. Hate it when my favourite bands bore me... :)

According to this month's BP, Flea's pulled out of the deal to make the Fleabasses. He reckoned he just couldn't deal with the business side of it any more. Apparently the new album is all vintage Fenders (mostly his Olympic White '61 Jazz and another '61 Jazz with a custom butterfly paint job by Damien Hurst).

I'll give the new album a listen. But I haven't really been able to stomach any post-One Hot Minute RHCP - they've lost the edginess that made them what they were.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1351737' date='Aug 25 2011, 08:42 PM']Looks like he is back to using his modulus's live.

Taken from a very recent show

and

[/quote]

I wonder if it's going to stop being the Funk Unlimited and become the Flea Bass again? :)