Why become a member? ×

I can feel myself falling towards a precision

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1278337' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:37 AM']Not helped by my visit to New Kings Road Vintage where I played a number of 60s basses.
Help! I need not to spend another several thousand on a bass (unless I can sell my spare upright)[/quote]

Nothing to discuss Jake :)

Don't spend several grand, buy a decent '62RI (especially if you can get an early 80's Fullerton which are pretty much as good at the pre-CBS instruments without the price tag)

C

Edited by Beedster

I'm on the hunt for a P too. I played a nice one recently and it sounded great. Don't really care what year it is or where it's from or (up to a point) what state it's in. As long as it plays well and isn't a silly colour. I can always change the pickups if need be.

Craig 'Basslondon' had a very nice 83 JV Squier, with a bit of mojo for sale on basschat for a while but unfortunately (for me) he sold it yesterday.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Beedster' post='1278346' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:40 AM']Nothing to discuss Jake :)

Don't spend several grand, buy a decent '62RI (especially if you can get an early 80's Fullerton which are pretty much as good at the pre-CBS instruments without the price tag)

C[/quote]
You're ahead of me Chris, I was going there, I just wanted to see what the wealth of opinion was....

Precisions are great, I love them, my only advice would be to keep an open mind, and play as many as you can, and buy the one that plays best.

When I say open mind, from experience of looking at them, I don`t like the fake relicing on the Road Worn Series, but if I were shelling out at present, after having played one, felt how well it played, and heard how great it sounded, well if another Precision beat the RW I played, it would have to be some bass.

If a Mex is the best to you, buy it - don`t worry about the label at the end. I kept my fave two players, which happen to be US models, but thats cos they were the ones I gelled with the best, not cos of where they were made.

'Falling toward'... you mean 'Rising to', surely? :)

Yeah, those RWs play very nicely, but I just can't stand fake 'mojo'. It's all about the playability for me - they're such a simple beast that if I find one which sits well in the hand I'd go for it and worry about the other stuff later - pups and pots can be changed very easily.

I've just bought a Mike Lull PJ5, a passive 5 string Precision with a J pickup and the sound is vintage and huge; playability is effortless and I'm getting compliments from all the guys I play with. After over 20 years away from a Precision tone I'm having to work at getting a sound I like but everyone else is smiling already!

I guess my point is you don't need to restrict yourself to a Fender or even a vintage instrument.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1278337' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:37 AM']Not helped by my visit to New Kings Road Vintage where I played a number of 60s basses.
Help! I need not to spend another several thousand on a bass (unless I can sell my spare upright)[/quote]
hi jake buy a precision iv got 2 warwicks 2 ibenez a yamaha and just about every other bass there is and the fender is my favourite by miles just go and play every precision you see and buy the one you like dont buy the label buy the bass good luck mate.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1278370' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:58 AM']Precisions are great[/quote]

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1278383' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:05 PM']Precisions rock. Total workhorses.[/quote]

[quote name='Muzz' post='1278391' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:13 PM']'Falling toward'... you mean 'Rising to', surely? :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' post='1278393' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:14 PM']I guess my point is you don't need to restrict yourself to a Fender or even a vintage instrument.[/quote]

[quote name='Wil' post='1278402' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:19 PM']I've had all sorts of basses, but I've found nothing sits in a mix as effortlessly as a good P does :)[/quote]

[quote name='risingson' post='1278414' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:28 PM']Nothing to discuss! Nothing beds a track like a P, and they work in every context imaginable. They are the working musician's choice, they are the pro's choice, they account for thousands of successful recordings that we hear every day. Get one!!![/quote]

[quote name='SteveK' post='1278418' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:32 PM']IMV a bass players arsenal is not complete without a P bass.[/quote]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='1278419' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:32 PM']The Fender Custom Shop ones like the Pino model are something else too...[/quote]

+1 :)

I avoided P-basses like the plague for many years. Now I'm a total convert. I can tell you it doesn't take CS prices to get a really good P-bass. I bought my 2nd at the weekend - an '83 Squier SQ series - for £100. Comparing back and forward with my 08 US Precision I have to say there's not much to separate them, other than the Squier has had a hard life and could do with the frets stoning.

Play as many as you can. Buy the one that suits you best.

I love my Precision but to be honest, I prefer a Jazz. Just suits my playing more. However, as aleady said, a bass players arsenal is not complete without a precision.

Jake, I have a 2008 I think MIA Fender Precision in Olympic White (as can be seen in my avatar) that I don't seem to be using at the moment. If you want to borrow it for a bit to see if a Precision is for you then you are more than welcome. I might need it back sometime in July or maybe August for some recording but you are welcome to give it a go for a bit. Just give me a shout.

Edited by Linus27

If I could get past the body contour (could get a slab or early-50s style I guess) I'd really like one; you can do most things with them. You have to pick 'em though. My mate's '78 with a Dimarzio sounds and feels great. There was (is?) a Mex P in the Gallery which I liked as much as any P I've played; only about £500 or thereabouts. For some reason I even preferred it tothe RWs I've played. I've played a few real duffers though, so try before you buy.

Doesn't have to be a genuine Fender either - the Squier VMs or CVs, SX and some of the early Jap lawsuit stuff in many cases is just as good as anything Fender have done.
Also, there's a considerable number of after-market parts out there too. I had one with a Kent-Armstrong Vintage Hot Ceramic pickup and it was the nuts.

Edited by WHUFC BASS

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='1278505' date='Jun 22 2011, 01:42 PM']Doesn't have to be a genuine Fender either - the Squier VMs or CVs, SX and some of the early Jap lawsuit stuff in many cases is just as good as anything Fender have done.
Also, there's a considerable number of after-market parts out there too. I had one with a Kent-Armstrong Vintage Hot Ceramic pickup and it was the nuts.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, I have an Sx fitted with Wizard thumpers and it's the dog dingly danglers.

[quote name='gerryc' post='1278528' date='Jun 22 2011, 01:56 PM']Couldn't agree more, I have an Sx fitted with Wizard thumpers and it's the dog dingly danglers.[/quote]

Yep, SX FrankenP with Wizard Big P/J set and MM maple neck (in pic left). Fantastic - sold my US Ps on the strength of it.

Well your only human after all

Give in, nothing to discuss

I'm only a weekend for pocket money player, but P basses just seem right for everything I do, and they are so comfortable, and we see pros on TV playing everything from vintage to modern squiers

Jake, If you remember the Jap 62ri that I used when I visited you, well your welcome to use it for a few gigs if you wish to try one out, its already got chips so no need to worry, and I have a spare P anyway

Edited by lojo

I've also fallen recently and have been a bit greedy & bought two of 'em!

'72 with maple neck & '63 with rosewood. Neither are 100% original but the core of each is definitely there.

If you're over this way gigging at some point then you're welcome to give them a whirl and/or borrow one for a bit to see what you think.

Off on hols next Thursday for about 10 days so you could take both for a couple of weeks if that would be helpful :)