Why become a member? ×

I can feel myself falling towards a precision

jakenewmanbass

So many great replies and offers thanks guys, Linus and Lojo so very kind of you to offer...
I'm going to get one, I'm just going to play many until one fits. I have some serious tools in the shape of the '77 Jazz and the Alembic, both record exceedingly well, and I spend at least half my working life on my 1880 German DB so I can bide my time

Chris, that D'Angelo track is seriously grooving...

And Barrie.. you were posting at the same time as me.... seriously... thanks.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1278547' date='Jun 22 2011, 02:14 PM']So many great replies and offers thanks guys, Linus and Lojo so very kind of you to offer...
I'm going to get one, I'm just going to play many until one fits. I have some serious tools in the shape of the '77 Jazz and the Alembic, both record exceedingly well, and I spend at least half my working life on my 1880 German DB so I can bide my time

Chris, that D'Angelo track is seriously grooving...

And Barrie.. you were posting at the same time as me.... seriously... thanks.[/quote]

No worries Jake, hope you find what you ar looking for and if you do want to borrow the P, the just drop me a PM. As you know, i'm only up the road.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1278547' date='Jun 22 2011, 02:14 PM']And Barrie.. you were posting at the same time as me.... seriously... thanks.[/quote]

Any time Jake :)

The two are really quite different sounding so nice to compare them.

Just thought I may be heading towards Fleet direction on Saturday evening - not far from you I think?

I love P basses, and am soblooking forward to getting my hands on the vintage spec Olympic White / tortoiseshell plate one that Wes Steed has been making for me.

If you get one, you'll love it. They're kinda harsh on their own, but in a band setting that tonal grit makes them stand out so well.

Jake, do you know WHY you want a Precision? Or was it just a magickal thing when you played some in the shop?

Knowing you at least a little bit, I might suggest you borrow one you like on approval before buying, and use it on some gigs and/or recording sessions. I think, quite often, an instrument can delight in isolation, only to find it doesn't work for you in an ensemble situation.

I was always anti-P a bit - thought it was too obvious, and maybe a bit of a rock trad.

Always loved some P-players though.....and slowly, via a few Squiers, bought a Fender P....50's classic (MIM - nice big fretboard, big sound).

I went to see The Stranglers in March - always been a fan (especially JJ) - and couldn't believe the sound from his P - probably the best, and biggest bass sound I've ever heard!

Since playing a P full-time for the last month (sold my 2 Rics over the last 6 months) - bit of a surprise. One, how versatile the sound is - from JJ-burst to soulful thump. Two, looking on Youtube, and seeing bands - Dave Holland with Miles, Mahavishnu Orchestra - 'jazzier' players using P's rather than Jazz's. At the Isle Of Wight TV stuff the other week, it was the 'rock' players playing the Jazz!

I'm not a massive jazz player (more of a fan) but really liked how these players were using their P's. I'm sure there's more!

I thought I wanted a P-Bass and then ended up buying a Warwick Rockbass Corvette :) Not sure what went on there.

I see they've still got[url="http://www.newkingsroadguitars.co.uk/guitarshop/1952_FENDER_PRECISION.html"] this little baby[/url] there. What a steel :) Looks like it just left the factory.

[quote name='silddx' post='1278644' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:47 PM']I think, quite often, an instrument can delight in isolation, only to find it doesn't work for you in an ensemble situation.[/quote]

Unless it's a P, in which case it's usually quite the reverse. :)

Love my dirty old P copy. It has a Kent Armstrong hot ALnico, in it. Sounds bloody lovely with a band (though in isolation it sounds like a horse taking a dump into a pile of rubber bands supporting some depressed penguins). Just like a P should.

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1278683' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:28 PM'](though in isolation it sounds like a horse taking a dump into a pile of rubber bands supporting some depressed penguins).[/quote]

This is an all to common occurrence in North Devon, especially in the summer :)

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1278685' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:29 PM']Ah, the P bass. The last resort when all inspiration has left the player. :)[/quote]

That's a bit like saying "steak, the last resort when inspiration has left the chef".

Edited by Wil

[quote name='spongebob' post='1278671' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:15 PM']....I went to see The Stranglers in March - always been a fan (especially JJ) - and couldn't believe the sound from his P - probably the best, and biggest bass sound I've ever heard!....[/quote]
That should be because he was playing his signature Shuker P bass. If that was the Shuker then the fantastic sound is totally understandable.

[quote name='silddx' post='1278644' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:47 PM']I think, quite often, an instrument can delight in isolation, only to find it doesn't work for you in an ensemble situation.[/quote]
But not in the case of a Precision.

Jake, just try a few until you find the one you like. You don't have to spend a lot and you can hardly go wrong.

[quote name='Wil' post='1278698' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:34 PM']That's a bit like saying "steak, the last resort when inspiration has left the chef".[/quote]

I think tapioca or steamed cabbage would be more appropriate than a steak as that implies some kind of quality! :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1278644' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:47 PM']Jake, do you know WHY you want a Precision? Or was it just a magickal thing when you played some in the shop?

Knowing you at least a little bit, I might suggest you borrow one you like on approval before buying, and use it on some gigs and/or recording sessions. I think, quite often, an instrument can delight in isolation, only to find it doesn't work for you in an ensemble situation.[/quote]
Nig the truth of it is that as you well know I have a couple of killer basses, I can get an extraordinary range of sounds from the Alembic (I'm still finding them)
The main thinking is for the studio when I want an arsenal of sounds, I can get a sound that suits my playing a million times over from all my basses acoustic and electric, I just think that the P would finish the picture and mean that on a session I can supply everything that is required... Don't get me wrong I get a lot of good feedback from engineers and producers about my sound but to pull that last classic bass out would finish it off.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1278731' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:50 PM']Nig the truth of it is that as you well know I have a couple of killer basses, I can get an extraordinary range of sounds from the Alembic (I'm still finding them)
The main thinking is for the studio when I want an arsenal of sounds, I can get a sound that suits my playing a million times over from all my basses acoustic and electric, I just think that the P would finish the picture and mean that on a session I can supply everything that is required... Don't get me wrong I get a lot of good feedback from engineers and producers about my sound but to pull that last classic bass out would finish it off.[/quote]

Then you are now in the enviable position of knowing exactly what you want and being able to justify the hunt for a great specimen :)

Be careful out there :)

[quote name='Wil' post='1278738' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:52 PM']There's the rub, you see - lots of people like steamed cabbage. It's good for you and rich in flavour. Steamed cabbage must be a good thing, then, much like the P bass.

QED :)[/quote]

I do love a good wind up. I choose steamed cabbage because it was bland, had UI wished to be more forthright I would have suggested the P bass equates to a steaming dog turd! :)

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1278731' date='Jun 22 2011, 04:50 PM']Nig the truth of it is that as you well know I have a couple of killer basses, I can get an extraordinary range of sounds from the Alembic (I'm still finding them)
The main thinking is for the studio when I want an arsenal of sounds, I can get a sound that suits my playing a million times over from all my basses acoustic and electric, I just think that the P would finish the picture and mean that on a session I can supply everything that is required... Don't get me wrong I get a lot of good feedback from engineers and producers about my sound but to pull that last classic bass out would finish it off.[/quote]
Can I assume, and for once I'm being serious, that you feel a P-Bass is a bit like a blank piece of paper on which you can create what you want.

Yes I know that sounds ridiculous but hope you get the drift. :)