Why become a member? ×

Amateur Players & Expensive Gear

spongebob

I'm currently selling my Ric 4003 (owned and played a few....most have not been great ownership experiences!).

Just really struggled of late to get a good sound and feel. Similar to another post on BC, just over the last few months finding trouble to feel at home with it. Never thought I'd say that - I always assumed this particular one was a keeper.

Thing is, I'm primarily a pub/club/function player. Nothing fancy or earth-shattering. Playing the Rics in various venues made me really think about how much value I was carrying about - and that does anybody actually care about my bass sound?

I played my new VM-P last night with the band. It sounded awesome - with no fiddling, just plugged in and go. Couldn't believe that a bass costing about a sixth of my 4003 actually had more presence and tone. Shocked isn't the word.

Nobody batted an eyelid over the Squier headstock - it was a very good tool for the job.

I do use a Markbass amp set-up, so obviously this helps get a good a sound and the best from a bass.

I'm now, or will in days be down to a VM-P and a CV Jazz. If I need another bass, I doubt if I'll go much above the £350 price tag. For what I do right now, these seem just fine.

I could go any buy a US standard Fender - but playing in bands in rooms and places that have never got that great a sound, I'm starting to think it would be a waste. The cleanest of bass sounds would get lost in the pub's sticky carpet....and does the guy shouting for 'Mustang Sally' want to discuss the origin of my maple or through-stringing??

My old guitarist had a 2nd hand £90 amp set-up and a £80 Les Paul Copy. He was an amazing player, and just felt comfy with what he had.

Have I been duped over the years? Does an amateur really need 2.5k's worth of bass gear to play down the Dog 'n' Duck or in the corner of the Christening Party??

I've come around to the fact I don't....!!

I think most punters would never know or really care how fancy your gear is.

If it matters to [b]you [/b](the player) then it can be worth the extra cash. If [b]you're[/b] happy with your gear and your sound then why spend/change?

Ive had a few expensive basses and now im playing a 21 year old MIJ Fender Jazz..Although im playing through Aguilar amps im the happiest ive ever been... there are so many great basses that sound awsome and play very very well.. like Rob said... its if your happy..

instruments are so subjective to the individual player... different strokes and all that.. and knowone cares what bass your playing.. only you

Edited by bubinga5

I fully agree with you! I play my VM Jazz down the local British Legion through a cheap Behringer 180 watt combo.
Its true, the old folk who want Jim Reeves and Johnny Mathis dont care or even know what a good bass sound is!
OTOH, I use my Stingray through a Trace Elliot 400 watt to play Louder clubs and pubs to youngsters who want it LOUD!!

Well I`m kindof in agreement on this. Although my two Precisions are US made, I got both 2nd hand, as £500-ish is my limit on a bass. The US are great value 2nd hand, but I wouldn`t buy one new, I too am a pub/club player, and don`t really need anything higher end for the music I play, punk/heavy rock.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1243245' date='May 24 2011, 06:39 PM']Have I been duped over the years? Does an amateur really need 2.5k's worth of bass gear to play down the Dog 'n' Duck or in the corner of the Christening Party??

I've come around to the fact I don't....!![/quote]

The answer is obviously no, but there is more to this than just what is required to function

There is nothing wrong with having a instrument that is way above what you require, some guys buy sports cars, others expensive golf clubs

I now use gear that exceeds what I need, but I work hard and want too, I have never lived beyond my means, and when I was younger I gigged a homemade and an old PA system until I could afford my first rig.

To me nobody should stretch themselves to have an instrument they don't need, perhaps you may need to borrow to invest if you are starting out as a professional, as you may with any trade

There is also the investment issue, depending on how you buy, you cash is tied up, but you may not be throwing away that much in the long run

I think as other folk have said it's whether it makes a difference to you as a player, for whatever reason.. I'm not sure that I go for the "punters at the dog and duck can't tell the difference" argument, not because I think they can or can't, but because I want to do the best job I can....

A bass guitar sounds like a bass guitar at the end of the day, 99% of people won't care what make it is and what it sounds like. Expensive gear is nice but it's mostly a placebo thing. I'd prefer to play a Sadowsky all evening at a gig if I could but would the majority of an audience noticed if I played a Squier instead? Probably not!

Expensive basses arent for the audience though.. there for the player... and what they feel makes them play better whether it be from tone or playability... for example the Sei i had, had a lovely sculpted heel, that made it lovely to play.. little details make a difference

I play my 7 year old beaten up Squier Affinity Jazz at Gigs.

It has American Fender Pickups and SI circuitry with a BAII bridge.

Last week at a gig, a musician came up to me and asked if it was an American Fender I was playing. I said Essentially yes but I payed £250 for it and it says squier on.

Just proves you don't need to spend thousands to get what your after!

[quote name='Davebassics' post='1243298' date='May 24 2011, 07:15 PM']Last week at a gig, a musician came up to me and asked if it was an American Fender I was playing. I said Essentially yes but I payed £250 for it and it says squier on.[/quote]

a [i]musician[/i] interested in a bass...unheard of ! :)

but, back on track...if you like the sound, then it's good.

end of line.

[quote name='risingson' post='1243280' date='May 24 2011, 07:02 PM']I'd prefer to play a Sadowsky all evening at a gig if I could but would the majority of an audience noticed if I played a Squier instead? Probably not![/quote]

To be fair to squier some sound fantastic through good backline anyhow

Edited by lojo

I've played weddings and other functions with a £45 Jazz copy, sounds great through my rig and is nice to play.
The most i've ever spent on a bass is £750 and i consider that much more than i needed to spend, it was a nice luxury but there are very few bad basses out there.

I'd happily gig a Squier/Aria/Westone/Stagg etc. Jazz for the rest of my days, as long as i didn't have to compromise on amplification.

I always look at the expensive and exotic gear and if i like it and can afford it ill buy it

I like the idea of having something a bit different to everyone else and to be honest i work hard so I don't see no problem in having expensive gear as long as you can afford it

This is like saying at the age of 17 Wayne Rooney was an amateur driver, however he still drove a f*****g ferrari.

And if it makes who feel good who cares what others think

Edited by deanbean502

The cheapest and the best sounding bass I have is my old Jap Squire Jazz. I'm playing a pub with no windows soon (yes one of those) and I'm afraid to take even that to the gig.

By the way I love the way Ricks look...........hate the woolly sound. There must be replacement pickups that give you a better sound than the stock pickups.

hmmmmm ..not withstanding a Rickenbacker being THE desired bass and sound...... I guess to some they might be.

But it also depends on the gigs you do..and if the Dog and Duck is what you aspire to and you think a certain bass is at that level, then fine.

It people want you to play for them because you sound great....then maybe the kit you use contributes to that.
Maybe there is a degree of vanity about it as well.... but it all comes down to this..IMO.

Do you sound and play like the bass player that the booker requires/needs. Does your gear help that?

Played with a guy who reads fly-sh*t and plays an Zematis... god damn awful sound amongst other things.

It all depends................on so many things

I have decided I'm a gear snob and I don't care, I haven't asked anyone else to pay for them, I don't wear fancy brand clothes unless it's for a purpose like walking boots or water proof gear that does appear to still be a get what you pay for Market generally, I don't smoke and only drink now and again so there :) Ha