Why become a member? ×

Amateur Players & Expensive Gear

spongebob

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1243292' date='May 24 2011, 07:10 PM']I think I'll sell my BMW - I'm only an amateur driver.[/quote]

Isn't that who they were made for in the first place? :)

Back OT, music shops rely on us buying "above our station" as it were, if we didn't, they certainly wouldn't survive on sales to pro's!

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1244869' date='May 25 2011, 10:59 PM']Back OT, music shops rely on us buying "above our station" as it were, if we didn't, they certainly wouldn't survive on sales to pro's![/quote]
Ha! That's if the pro's didn't get their equipment free through an endorsement in the first place :)

[quote name='largo' post='1244930' date='May 25 2011, 10:49 PM']....If I didn't buy expensive gear, my wife would buy expensive shoes....[/quote]
My wife buys expensive handbags so I try to keep things in balance. Currently she's winning though!

hmmm..

I don't really get this thread. ...so I'd ask a few questions.

Do you know you sound good..??
Do you know what makes you sound the way you do..
Can you/do you want to change it..?

What you use should be subject to the above, IMO.

What I really don't get is guys with expensive basses who won't play them down the Dog and Duck because they might get damaged or stolen. Why can't they just take responsibility for their basses? Don't leave them unattended - if you can't have it with you, speak to the staff and get it locked up in a back room or something. Don't leave it on the stage because it looks pretty while you go mingle with the audience. And if you do stick it on a stand, make sure it's not in anyone's way where it can get bumped over - I've seen folk set their guitars up right on "their" spot, where they will be standing :) . Load ins and outs can be a source for concern - keep a WAG or trusted fan with the van at all times and be careful. Ok you might smack the head off a cymbal during the gig but that's just as likely to happen at the biggest of venues too. I've gigged the length and breadth of the country and I've never had a stage invasion get out of hand or bottles thrown (I guess we were just too good :)) sure it happens but it is very much the exception to the rule.
Sometimes it just comes across as a form of veiled bragging - "My bass is just soooo good that I can't even gig with it".

Invest in a Hercules stand, make sure its in a hardcase 95% of the time when its not being used, and keep and eye on it/dont drink.

Of course, something still might happen, and I know its awful when you ding your favourite.

I still think a budget bass does the job in a VERY small tight space when you know the guitarist is going to hit your headstock when he stands back!

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1245284' date='May 26 2011, 10:14 AM'].......
Sometimes it just comes across as a form of veiled bragging - "My bass is just soooo good that I can't even gig with it".[/quote]

My bass playing talent is just soooo good that I can't even gig with it. :)

i think that you should play what makes you happy, regardless of situation. and if that happens to be an 80quid shine then that's money saved really.

as it is i /have/do/you know i will spend more money on gear than i need becuase it's fun to have and play, just like any person with any hobby.

though i think a valid point is that compared to say cars or clothes (or shoes, bags and shiny objects in the case of WAG's)- is that good gear hold it's value, especially the stuff that travels around this forum. so depreciation is minimal- making splashing the cash that much easier

I read recently that Phil Chen has used the Same Fender Precision since 1966 and has never even changed his strings

Me, I just like to try out different stuff and at the end of the day, whether I'm playing a £3000 Modulus Flea or a £200 Epiphone Thunderbird, as long as I'm getting a good sound out front and it plays well - who cares?

Note: I'm not trying to compare myself to Phil Chen BTW :)

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1245284' date='May 26 2011, 10:14 AM']Why can't they just take responsibility for their basses?[/quote]

I guess because they'd rather have a fun night, go chat to mates and enjoy themselves than be worrying about where their bass is. If I took a Ritter or the like to a pub, I wouldn't be able to relax for keeping an eye on it. If I owned one, it'd get used for good venues and recording but I wouldn't take it everywhere.

Even if stuff's fully insured, the hassle and time of getting a new custom instrument built isn't worth the risk for most places.

It's not an obscure fact that the average punter wouldn't be able to tell if you were playing a Squier or a Fender Custom Shop, why take the risk with the CS if you're happy playing the Squier live? Should that mean that you shouldn't own the CS for recording or big (more secure) venues?

I think it's purely a personal thing, if you have the cash to buy expensive gear then go for it. It's your money so why should you have to justify what gear you buy. At the same time if you're happy with budget gear and you can get a good sound then happy days. As for taking expensive stuff to rough pubs, you just have to be sensible i guess. Most of us probably wouldn't take a £5000 boutique bass to a council estate pub with bars on the windows but that doesn't mean you shouldn't own one if you want one and can afford it I use one of the cheaper spector's (£600) most of the time, but i still take my USA P-bass to every gig with me, i just make sure they go straight back into their hardcases as soon as i finish.