Why become a member? ×

What do you value most in a band/project

bassbloke

I've discovered, since my last band split, that decent bass players are seriously in demand and, although I now have a project off the ground, still get a steady stream of offers and requests to join other bands or help out.

Now, I'm perfectly happy and not looking to jump ship, but what do you value in a musical venture? Gigs, recording, technical challenges, jamming, singing, writing or is it down to material benefits?

A communal work ethic.

I can handle differing abilities, I can handle music I'm not 100% into but I can't handle having to drag people along, lazy disinterested bastids who add nothing and are devoid of enthusiasm.

A pox upon them, I say.

[quote name='ahpook' post='1224848' date='May 9 2011, 10:37 AM']well, as someone's who's having a hard time getting past people who think 41 is too old to play originals...

musicians who value ability over age.

:)[/quote]

What kind of music?

[quote name='bassbloke' post='1224868' date='May 9 2011, 10:53 AM']What kind of music?[/quote]

a wobbly line between post-rock (tortoise/bark psychosis), noise (sonic youth/my bloody valentine) and post-punk (wire/joy division)...

it generally plays out like this...

i answer an ad, meet up with an interested musician, and then i get the fob-off, even before a note has been played.

i see the faces drop when they realise i'm not 10-15 years younger than i am.

Creative musicians. Nothing worse than trying to write a song & there's an uncreative musician just putting the same drum pattern or constant unimaginative strumming to a song. Just turns things lame.
Gig's & an audience are good too tho :)

[quote name='BottomE' post='1224919' date='May 9 2011, 11:30 AM']Gigs and an audience - its all pointless otherwise.[/quote]
For you maybe - personally that is the least important part for me.
I want to be involved in writing, playing & hopefully recording music that I will find fulfilling & be proud to be a part of; what anybody else thinks of it I really couldn't care.

They must bring something to the party.
I'll pick drummers for feel along with technique. Gtrs for their style....and really don't want old-hat shredders, so feel and groove there.
Keys needs to be able to play good piano and handle an organ. The vocal must have a distinct and good voice along with a range and then we will pick the material to work with that. BV's were the weakness but we have worked on that.

Basically I pick the best players I know and put them together as part the remit for that band. Some have a soul bias, some more songs and the tune... so I know who I would pick as first choice and then we try and get in a room and see how it gells.

The biggest point for me has to be the sellability of the product - I'm not into 'gigging' in rehearsal rooms or putting a lot of time and effort into something that there's never going to be an audience for.

The musicians have to be of a certain standard - I'm happy to advise on arrangements but I'm not going to muck about showing a guitarist how to play an Em7.

The ability to retain information - I accept people make mistakes but my patience wears thin if the same mistake appears time and time again.

Personality and a sense of humour is a 'nice to have' but I'm more than able to play with people I don't partucularly like.

The chance to pull on some spandex and wear my wig..... Oh, bugger, I forgot, I've left that band.... erm, being in a band with nice people who share a sense of humour, professional attitude etc.

I'm a bit of an oddity here, I suspect, as I don't really like playing gigs or recording!

[quote name='paul h' post='1224963' date='May 9 2011, 12:08 PM']Chemistry.[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better :)

Nothing makes me happier than being in a band where all the members are getting along well, all working towards the same goal and producing music that we enjoy playing. The icing on the cake is then getting good at performing this music live.

Musicianship

Meaning listening, where they fit in the mix.

Where the music is more important than personal egos

The customer is more important than anyone on stage

Talk to each other, clear and honest dialogue

Light and shade = a guitarist who hates loud music :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='1224848' date='May 9 2011, 10:37 AM']well, as someone's who's having a hard time getting past people who think 41 is too old to play originals...

musicians who value ability over age.

:)[/quote]

Try not handing the Werthers around at rehearsals.

Seriously though, its a pain innit, I'm lucky in that I found a couple of good bands of all old gits like me, but it took a while.
Dunno about you, but I wouldnt be comfortable playing live with a band noticably much younger than me.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1225146' date='May 9 2011, 02:42 PM']Seriously though, its a pain innit, I'm lucky in that I found a couple of good bands of all old gits like me, but it took a while.
Dunno about you, but I wouldnt be comfortable playing live with a band noticably much younger than me.[/quote]

Doesn't really bother me too much, I've just picked up a job playing with a singer/songwriter that hasn't quite hit her 20th birthday yet.

I'd [b]like[/b] to think that I got the gig based on my charm, wit, sophistication and youthful looks... :)