Why become a member? ×

Les Claypool's new bass

Chris2112

[url="http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/01/nye_in_photos_les_claypools_co.php"]http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/0...laypools_co.php[/url]

Essentially it's this ugly POS:

Apparently this is Les' new bass and it will be offered as a production model (although I'm not sure by who). I have to say, the wood working looks even worse than on a Carl Thompson! And those basses have had some shoddy fit and finish jobs, from some accounts. However, upon seeing the pictures and seeing Les dressed up in his weird outfits, I was more struck by the fact that he has apparently become a pardoy of himself and is now like a bass hermit, pedalling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive in over a decade. He's a relic of the 90's, how strange that he doesn't just retire!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084624' date='Jan 10 2011, 06:50 PM'][url="http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/01/nye_in_photos_les_claypools_co.php"]http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/2011/0...laypools_co.php[/url]

Essentially it's this ugly POS:

Apparently this is Les' new bass and it will be offered as a production model (although I'm not sure by who). I have to say, the wood working looks even worse than on a Carl Thompson! And those basses have had some shoddy fit and finish jobs, from some accounts. However, upon seeing the pictures and seeing Les dressed up in his weird outfits, I was more struck by the fact that he has apparently become a pardoy of himself and is now like a bass hermit, pedalling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive in over a decade. He's a relic of the 90's, how strange that he doesn't just retire![/quote]

MB1. :)
Is It Vincent Price in Witchfinder General? :)

I used to really enjoy Primus, haven't listened to them for some time now, but I find all of Les' more recent stuff a bit TOO 'wacky', but sort of wacky for the sake of it. Fair play (or should that be 'Hats off') to him though, nice work if you can get it!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084624' date='Jan 10 2011, 06:50 PM']...is now like a bass hermit, pedalling the same tired crap and failing to do anything inventive in over a decade. He's a relic of the 90's, how strange that he doesn't just retire![/quote]

Probably because he's still making new albums full of interesting, creative music? :)

I don't think it is contrived - I think that is just him. He was awsome with Govt Mule playing slap on Greasy Granny. I never would think that would work - but it does. We all have bands that fall into the "liked their early stuff, but not the new" file, but outside of our personal world more people are discovering those bands and enjoying what they do now.

That bass isn't a great looker, but it's still looks better than a Fender.

oh dear. les is a legend, and is still making highly original and experimental music with a great band of musicians. as for the bass, i agree. carl thompson is also a true legend and builds the finest and most beautiful basses in the world. none of that poly painted j bass rubbish that swamps the market. sad to hear two really great human beings being rubbished like that due to personal tastes. check out carls you tube channel (o'connord).

[quote name='chris_b' post='1084765' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:13 PM']Les speaks very highly of you too.[/quote]

+1 :)

Chris, you seem to have very strong opinions about what you like and don't like, which is fair enough. What I find a bit weird is the "POS" kind of stuff you've been doling out, as if it's a universally accepted opinion. If I said "a Kubicki is a POS and I would never want to be seen dead with one" would you not be a little bit offended? Not that I actually think that, I don't mind them, but hopefully you get my drift; just because you don't like it doesn't make it a "POS", be it Les, his bass, P-Basses or anything else.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1085043' date='Jan 10 2011, 11:52 PM']oh dear. les is a legend, and is still making highly original and experimental music with a great band of musicians. as for the bass, i agree. carl thompson is also a true legend and builds the finest and most beautiful basses in the world. none of that poly painted j bass rubbish that swamps the market. sad to hear two really great human beings being rubbished like that due to personal tastes. check out carls you tube channel (o'connord).[/quote]
+1,whats wrong with weird and whacky anyway? 2 rules in playin.Rule one,there are no rules.Rule two,follow rule one.A great drummer once told me that.

[quote name='4000' post='1085055' date='Jan 11 2011, 12:07 AM']If I said "a Kubicki is a POS and I would never want to be seen dead with one" would you not be a little bit offended?[/quote]

Well, no, I wouldn't. Because it's a case of different vinegar strokes for different folks. I kind of like the fact that Kubicki bass have a 'niche' appeal, although that fact is far behind the fact that they sound excellent, play brilliantly and look awesome. If everyone liked Kubicki basses and wanted to own one I'd have more trouble getting hold of them!

My opinions are my opinions, robust they may be. But they're my opinions, and I respect everyone's right to have one even if I don't agree with it.

I'm all in favour of everyone's right to an opinion. But there are opinions, and then there's "I don't like it, therefore it must be sh*t".

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1084624' date='Jan 10 2011, 06:50 PM']I have to say, the wood working looks even worse than on a Carl Thompson![/quote]
I can only assume you've seen this bass in the flesh, or at least seen some proper close-up shots of it? 'Cos I've got pretty good eyesight, but I'm blowed if I can make out the actual quality of the build from those tiny pics.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1085114' date='Jan 11 2011, 07:15 AM']I kind of like the fact that Kubicki bass have a 'niche' appeal, although that fact is far behind the fact that they sound excellent, play brilliantly and look awesome. If everyone liked Kubicki basses and wanted to own one I'd have more trouble getting hold of them![/quote]

Replace "Kubicki" with "Carl Thompson"...... :)