Why become a member? ×

Unusual Gig Locations

twowheeledwriter

[quote name='twowheeledwriter' post='929545' date='Aug 19 2010, 11:08 AM']Tonight our band is playing at the local naturist camp :rolleyes: at Cap d'Agde on the south-east French coast. The venue is a bar at a naturist camp site. Cap d'Agde is well-known for it's naturist facilities and attracts people from all over Europe, especially Germans.

I'm guessing that concentrating on playing the bass might be difficult when confronted with a naked/semi-naked audience. To answer the most obvious question, no, I will not be hiding naked behind my bass as I expect to be dressed, as will the rest of the band.[/quote]
Finchley Manorhill Secondary Modern ...North Finchley....think 1977 with the Damned and Eater....and some little twat they called Deegenerate who actually thought he was better than Rat got in a row and had to be saved by his mummy :) .....Christ I was sh*te only saving grace was the mohair dennis the menace jumpers my mum had knitted for us....
AHHHHH those was the daze those woz

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='930236' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:05 PM']The main hall of the Natural History Museum next to the dinosaur skeleton. Worst acoustic ever![/quote]

+1.... been there... we ended up moving up the steps and played on the first floor landing.... bit better.

[quote name='silddx' post='930341' date='Aug 19 2010, 08:57 PM']Chesterfield[/quote]

Classic,,,,,,, wont tell the Diamond Club !! ha,,,

Also did a gig on an aeroplane,,,more entertainment than music tho,,,tis tricky at 20000ft !! (no - not being rude either,,, oooer missis) :)

Harland & Wollf shipyard on top of my own 30ft scaff tower which was part of a circle of 8 such towers each with it's own dedicated PA stack all rigged to an 8 way joy-stick on the PA. The dancers came down from the ceiling and threw chalk and earth at the audience. We were fearsomely loud and we got paid well. You have to love groundbreaking theatre :)

Well, we did it. Unfortunately, the weather was dodgy - a sea mist was rolling in so we didn't quite get the "sunset at the beach" vibe we expected. Still, there were plenty of saggy over 50s who really should have been dressed. We played on the terrace of the Sun Beach bar - see the second photo in the "diaporama" here:

[url="http://www.chm-reneoltra.fr/content/fr/Diaporama/11"]Cap d'Agde, Rene Oltra[/url]

My concentration was definitely affected by some of the sights - in one corner, an naked older man had his hand between the legs of a naked younger man and was giving him, ahem, a little massage..., I also cracked up when a naked, saggy 50yr old wandered in front of us his with his "junk" wobbling about.

I arrived late with the singer (and her husband who was there to protect her...) and spent 10 minutes driving through the camp site trying to find the entrance to the bar. Our tour around the site was "interesting". Lots of saggy, mostly shaved, mostly older people. Lots of naked men and women on bikes - this doesn't look so easy for men in the saddle area. Also, as it was a cooler evening, there were plenty of people in t-shirts and nothing else... what's that all about? Naked from the waist down only... On the other hand, this was basically normal naturist behaviour - people being naked and free. Though, I couldn't help laughing...

After the gig (which, to be honest, wasn't great - I think we were all distracted), we stayed on to have a meal and check out the night life in the bars, clubs and restaurants. Here, the men were dressed quite conservatively, but many of the women were in tight fitting short dresses and high heels, displayed varying amounts of flesh. Apparently, underwear was in short supply.

My overall impression? The place was as expected, based on what I had been told. I found it all quite amusing. But also it's great that there's a place where people can go and do as they please, be uninhibited and let it all hang out. Next time I'll take the wife.

Sorry - no photos that show anything of interest - it really didn't seem appropriate to take pictures. And I'm not sure it would have been welcomed.

A graveyard.

Belonging to whatever church in Hitchin (Herts.) is down by the river by near the town centre.
I'd worked nightshift on the Friday, so had been awake from 1900h on that day. When we hit the stage it was about 1630h and I hadn't slept. By the time I got home, I'd been awake about 24hours. And I played fretless. And drove the whole band. Interesting 24 hours. Crowd was big (Hitchin was closed off for the music festival) Still one of the biggest audiences I've played to. I guess around 800-1000 people...

On top of a mountain called Mount Kent in the Falkland Islands.
You had to get up there by helicoptor..
The gig was in side a load of giant containers welded together to make some kind of accomadation.
In fact the gig was at three different mountains and they all look the same [ all welded together]

Garry

The main dinosaur hall at the Natural History Museum for a Price Waterhouse coopers summer ball - playing right behind T-Rex & over-awed by the amazing architecture :

Great gig - first, and only, night that we got a band 'rider' for food & drink. They even supplied our own private chef & a waitress!

As a bassist - a large garden shed on a set of allotments, Evesham hall (a large Norfolk mansion built on the profits of the sugar cane slave trade) and a list of back gardens with a band.

As a brass band member - backs of trucks travelling around town between while I was 12 -15 yrs old, outside tube stations at November every year and wandering around town supporting carol singers playing trumpet. I don't remember being pelted with anything :)

I do remember hearing the 80's band The Christians gigged a Westminster toilet for charity :rolleyes: Quality !

T

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='owen' post='930742' date='Aug 20 2010, 11:27 AM']Harland & Wollf shipyard on top of my own 30ft scaff tower which was part of a circle of 8 such towers each with it's own dedicated PA stack all rigged to an 8 way joy-stick on the PA. The dancers came down from the ceiling and threw chalk and earth at the audience. We were fearsomely loud and we got paid well. You have to love groundbreaking theatre :)[/quote]

sounds mental :rolleyes:

strangest place for me was on a stage in the middle of metroland - the kiddies indoor amusement park in the metrocentre, gateshead.

he had a kiddies rollercoaster going by overhead as we played and we were surrounded by statues of gnomes and mushrooms...