Why become a member? ×

what was the first number you gigged on a bass ?

essexbasscat

Purple Haze, aged about 14/15 at a school show. It was all orchestras and choirs til we rocked up! I'd been converted from the cello on the 'they've both got the same number of strings, and we need a bassist' logic (there's an idea for another thread, how did you get into bass. Probably been done though). No idea what the school bass I played was, think it was Jazz shaped with a natural finish, but they had to buy a new set of strings once I'd expressed an interest in playing it. Prior to that, it only had 2, and I think they were both A.

There wasn't a bass amp, so I plugged through a spare 15w Marshall guitar practice amp and cranked it til I could compete with the drums. Must've sounded awful.

I've also got one of those horrible cringeworthy memories of wearing sunglasses indoors for the whole thing to look cool! Still makes me shiver to think about it!

[quote name='cd_david' post='910994' date='Jul 31 2010, 10:13 AM']That was the second song at my first gig, we were obsessed by SLF, the bands name was Back to Front, which we played as well.

Dave[/quote]

So were we, SLF and the Clash think we played 8 songs 4 from each band.

[quote name='gary mac' post='910931' date='Jul 31 2010, 08:12 AM']1973 or 74 at Waltham Abbey town hall, a sort of battle of the bands thing. Sporting a Roger Glover stylee hat and crushed velvet loon pants.

First number was Deep Purples Space Truckin'.

Epiphone semi acoustic bass.
Selmer Goliath 4 x 10" cab.
50 Top amp[/quote]

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='910982' date='Jul 31 2010, 10:01 AM']My first gig was at Loughton, about 5-8 miles from Waltham Abbey and that Selmer stuff was all over the place at the time :)

Relise - enjoy that first gig !! hope it goes well

T[/quote]

Enfield Town a mates 17th birthday party in his house.

Dire Strates - Money for nothing. It was in the charts at the time.

A 3/4 scale bass through a borrowed home made amp and cab.

I've never played that tune since - until my cousins 40th last year when I jammed it with a couple of guitarists and a drummer.

Strange times.

Probably "Move It" sometime during 1962 or 1963 played on a self-made bass through the family radiogram at a school dance. I was 16. Definitely pre-Beatles and very rebellious for those days.

Edited by obbm

It was "Tube Disasters" by A Flux of Pink Indians, a cover we did at the youth club in Alnwick, would have been mid 1980's. We were awful and so were the disinterested youngsters stood gawping at us. Probably never heard such a din before! I was probably about 16 at the time, playing my 1st bass, a Westone thunder 1.

Edited by bottlebassman

The school drama studio sometime in 1977, I was 15. The band was called "Toad!" We played four songs, 2 covers, 2 originals. I think we opened with Jumping Jack Flash or maybe Hey Joe, the originals were a Chuck Berry inspired thing called Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller and a ballad called Celestial Girl.

I played my Top Twenty precison/telecaster bass copy through a borrowed amp, which may have been a Selmer.

We blew the other band off the stage, which was pleasing as they were in the sixth form!

I've just watched the video my mate took of my first gig. Same band I've been with, albeit a different drummer. We ended the gig on a 10 minute jam of Whole Lotta Love.

The drummer was immense but not really suited to our style - Fleetwood Mac and CCR didn't work as well as this baby. here is the keytar and drum solo (sigh)...http://www.facebook.com/v/105711700583 :)

Playing a borrowed Lakland Duck Dunn through my EB combo. My bass at this time was Squier Jazz, I hit so many wrong notes.

Edited by faceman

The first gig I ever played on bass was a charity thing at the now demolished Cascade Pub in Wishaw, Scotland. I don't remember what came first but we played the eclectic mix of Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Cockney Rebel's Make Me Smile, Pearl Jam's Better Man.

Oddly, I didn't make a single mistake (having practiced like a mad thing) - a feat I have never repeated again.

This was about 8 years ago at the tender age of 38! Playing a Yamaha TRB-4ii into a GK 400RB and a Harke something-or-other cab.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I played a lost prophets shinobi dragon something at the Shed as the first song because it was in drop D. I was 15 i think and i had learnt the song in my bass lesson 2 hours previously and as you could imagine it went very tits up and my poor p bass fell straight off the strap i had borrowed as i had forgotton mine.

And we played infront of 2 bands and someones mum :) cool eh?

'Run to the Hills' with my old band. We played it fine, I had a bit of trouble with the in the practises leading up to it but managed it well there, although our singer was appalling...he had such an awful voice, dunno why we really got him. TBF he did go and quit the band straight after seeing the audience reaction to that gig :)

Early '70's, St Pat's church hall, Top Twenty bass with missing "G" string, Selmer Treble and Bass 50 with Selmer cab, First three songs were "Know Where You Are" by Slade, "Black Night" Deep Purple, and "Stay With Me" by The Faces.

:)

Just remembered, it was a Top Twenty Bass, not a Zenta.

Edited by 2pods

First gig would have been in about 1989 with an acoustic guitar and ugly hat, at about 12 years old. Yellow Submarine, which my mother roped me in to play for a big twinning association do at the pollyfield centre.

First bass in public, with my first proper band, (the unfortunately named radioactive flowerpots) about 1991, bideford college theatre, about 14, I was the guitarist/singer, but me and the bass player switched for a few songs. I definitely did bass on smells like teen spirit (hangs head)

First gig as a bass player, spudgun, 1996, golden lion tap. about 19-ish. The drummer and guitar player were also bassists. 3 of us were called Dave. all original, all drop-D, a bit helmet round the edges. Went back to guitar for a good ten years after that.

I can't remember which one came first, but we played a three-song set before the school christmas show, I think I was 14/15 (way back in 1998/9!).

I had tinsel down the neck of my Squier Precision Special (still got it too - the bass, not the tinsel), and I gave the school's little Carlsboro combo a good work out playing Stereophonics' 'Just Looking', I'm So Tired by The Beatles, and 'Design For Life' by the Manic Street Preachers.

Early 1979. After school gig. Gates were closed early and police were called as another local school turned up mob handed and wanted to get in and 'steam' us.

First song was I think was a cover of Borstal Breakout by Sham 69. Played on my new acquired black Shergold Marathon through a borrowed Ampeg SVT with an 8x10. It was nice working part time in a music shop :) . The guitarist had borrowed a Gibson Les Paul and full Marshall stack for the night too. No drummer or vocals were heard. We had two singers for some reason I've forgotten.

That cheeky Specials number "Nite Klub", October 4th 2008, Room 1, The Tunnels, Aberdeen. I would have been 32 at the time. I don't remember much of being on stage first hand, too much adrenaline/nerves. A video was taken though, so there are some memories, even if they are second hand.

[quote name='neepheid' post='914615' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:36 AM']That cheeky Specials number "Nite Klub", October 4th 2008, Room 1, The Tunnels, Aberdeen. I would have been 32 at the time. I don't remember much of being on stage first hand, too much adrenaline/nerves. A video was taken though, so there are some memories, even if they are second hand.[/quote]

A bass solo in your first ever live number! Fair play Mr Heid.