Why become a member? ×

what was the first number you gigged on a bass ?

essexbasscat

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='914628' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:52 AM']A bass solo in your first ever live number! Fair play Mr Heid.[/quote]

If by bass solo you mean "repeat the main riff hoping and praying not to muck it up until the rest of the band kick back in again" then yeah :)

[quote name='neepheid' post='914639' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:59 AM']If by bass solo you mean "repeat the main riff hoping and praying not to muck it up until the rest of the band kick back in again" then yeah :)[/quote]

My first number at my first gig was Town Called Malice by The Jam, which has a breakdown section of the variety descibed above. I managed it without hitting any bum notes, however it had all the feel and groove of a drunk sloth on a particularly shaky branch. I just remember that it was much more terrifying playing in front of people in the rehearsal room, and I was much too warm, and I couldn't hear things as well as in the rehearsal room, and I couldn't move my fingers very easily. Or my arms. Or my legs. I pretty much stayed rooted to the spot.

It was at Strathclyde Uni union, and I was using my "Legend" Jazz copy through someone else's amp. During the day, it was reported that Rod Hull had died. The singer dedicated our cover of Freddie King's "Going Down" to him, which wasn't the most sensitive of things to do (we got booed).

Either Caroline or Paperplane by Quo can't remember setlist, I'll try and dig it out!

Aged 42 and 3/4 at the Famous Ale House in Swindon.

Nearly pi**ed me pants, not as much as when I sang "When love comes to town" BB King/U2(?) in the same gig though.

Edited by farmer61

1984 - Doughnuts - Tunbridge Wells - 16 years old.

An original called 'The Persistance of Memory'.

Our band was called Acid Rain: we were a trio consisting of me on bass, guitarist, singer, and drum machine and keyboards on a PortaStudio (with immense levels of hisssssss at quiet moments).

Bass: Aria SB Black & Gold I.
Amp: horrendous Carlsbro Cobra 90.

I still have an old VHS tape with that gig somewhere, the playing was pretty shonky due to extreme levels of nerves, but we looked pretty natty in our matching red paisley shirts. :)

Edited by matski

It was over 20 years ago and it was some awful Hair Rock... probably a Bon Jovi song! :) We went on to play some Aerosmith, Van Halen and some bluesier stuff so it improved a little.

We were playing the Middlesex Poly in Bounds Green, was horrified to see several hundred people had shown up. It actually went pretty well as they were a good crowd and seemed to be out for a good time, I made quite a few mistakes but got away with it mostly.

Was playing an Aria SB of some kind through a large Marshall Combo and extension cab, a fantastic bass through an OK amp, sounded alright!

As someone else has said in this thread, it was all downhill from there.... the last gig I did with that band was at the Stick of Rock in east London to the bar staff and a bloke and his dog. Halfway through our first song the dog gave the bloke a look, the bloke just nodded back and they left without a word.

Edited by Fat Rich

I was about 18. I think our first few songs were originals. couldn't tell you the names of any of them. We only ever did two covers if at all, either via chicago by wilco or luka by suzanne vega but in the style of the lemonheads cover (still prefer their version)

i think it might have been tutti frutti, played in the attic of clothes shop on its opening party, sometime in 1989 or 1990. Probably played on a borrowed black aria through some small practice amp. I was 15 or so. No one saw us, we played three rock and roll classics over and over until the end of the opening party, sitting on stools in the attic with the spare stock...

It would have been the mid 80s with a new wave band I sang and played bass for. It was all original stuff and pretty awful too probably, in some dump of a pub in Manchester I seem to remember, and it would've been on my Columbus Jazz. What a nightmare.

First bass playing gig I had was with my dad's band. Bassist went down a week before the gig with pretty serious illness, so I ended up been asked to fill in with a week to learn a 12 song set, all home brew music. Week later and 2 rehersals, went and blitzed it. I think I was 14 at the time. So technically, first number I gigged on bass was 12 numbers :)

my first was a song by my old band called "our name in lights" it was in some dark venue in norwich, the marquee i think? played it on my trusty ibanez edb400.. i was 23 i think...

having said that i did player an open party where lots of blues songs were played.... i was playing most of the night so i assume we must have played a song... be damned if i can remember which ones tho

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='917069' date='Aug 6 2010, 03:40 PM']Sisters of Mercy- Alice

performed especially badly. aged 16 or so on a Westone Dynasty (looked well cool at the time, and i'll bet sarah 5-s would pay top dollar for it now, ha ha ! )

o.k. i fessed up.

i'll be regretting this later..

:rolleyes: :)[/quote]

This was the first cover version I ever gigged!