Why become a member? ×

what was the first number you gigged on a bass ?

essexbasscat

A wander down amnesia alley with a read of the 'What was the first number you ever mastered without duff notes' thread got me thinking, what was the first number you all ever gigged ??

I'll kick off.

My maiden voyage was 'Rubber Bullets' by 10cc, played on the school stage during a lunchtime in the early 1970's. It was the very first guitar gig the school ever had and the whole school turned out, well over 150 - 200 in the audience. The band was named Hazard.
I was about 12 years old and despite rehearsing it for months and getting it right LOADS of times, inside I shook like a leaf in a wind before going on stage.

THe follow up number was an original my band had cooked up about a murder at a disco (what a cheerful bunch. Reflects the school I went to though)

what was your first number ? was it a cover ? original ? can you remember ?

T

Edited by essexbasscat

Dizzy Miss Lizzy, at Jumping Jack Flash in Stockport sometime in 1983. Burns Flyte through a Wem Dominator, can't remember a lot more. The nuclear alarm for Stockport was rumoured to be in the dressing rooms, which seems fairly unlikely but those were simpler times.

Paranoid Black Sabbath
age 15 at Green St Green village hall at a birthday party.
Played on a Kay precision bass copy, Fal 50 watt PA amp head through a 4ft tall 2x12 reflex cab very loudly.

...followed by Highway Star, Rock and Roll Whole lotta Rosie yadda yadda yadda.
I thought that I'd died and gone to long hair and cheesecloth heaven.

Ah nostalgia ain't wot it used to be.

[quote name='OldGit' post='910752' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:06 PM']School stage, lunchtime "concert"[/quote]
snap :rolleyes:

[quote]House of the Rising Sun, Noname semi, tastefully decorated in hippy swirls of humbrol paints for airfix airplane kits..
Through a Baker "DIY" 30 watt all valve amp and home made 1x15 cab.
I was 13[/quote]
In my case, the song was the Quo's 'Caroline' played on my '64 Höfner Artist II (bought from metalwork teacher for £20) through a DIY 50w amp made with help from physics teacher, plus home-made 1x15 cab borrowed from same metalwork teacher.
I still have the Höfner :)

[quote name='Rich' post='910766' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:20 PM']snap :rolleyes:

In my case, the song was the Quo's 'Caroline' played on my '64 Höfner Artist II (bought from metalwork teacher for £20) through a DIY 50w amp made with help from physics teacher, plus home-made 1x15 cab borrowed from same metalwork teacher.
I still have the Höfner :)[/quote]

Bloody hell ! Caroline by Quo !! that was the number we closed with !! I'd completely forgotten until just now :lol:

Edit: trust me to copy the wrong bit. Doh !

Edited by essexbasscat

1979 / 16 / School Disco / Sheena is (a punk rocker) Ramones set. :)

Played on a 1963 Ibanez (Burns Lookalike) and shared a 50 watt amp with the guitarist with vocals through the school disco PA

Edited by Prosebass

Walk Like an Egyptian - Bangles

I was 15 and our band was on as part of the high school musical for that year.

I can't remember what I played, it might have been my Sierra Precision through the schools 50w Gunn valve head and 2x12.

c. 1973, local fete, House Of The Rising Sun plus a few originals, bassline picked out on an old acoustic guitar with an added pickup. Can't remember the amp details - Fane rings a bell. I suspect we were crap but we did get our photo in the local paper.

It's been all downhill ever since. :)

About '97, school leavers do (not my year, think it may have been ar kids).

Duff notes everywhere, and then the button fell off my pants. So i had to sit down on my little 25w amp. Yamaha BB300 covering my modesty.

Talk about a baptism of fire though, 700 people were in the main part of the Lancastrian Hall, Swinton for that occasion.

Gigs since then without bum notes have been plentiful, don't remeber the 1st where i was happy though.

Halloween night 2000. My first ever gig.

We had 3 songs:

Screamager by Therapy?
Song 2 by Blur
Something Against You by Pixies

Remember being more nervous than I've ever been in my life (but I still die of nerves before EVERY show)
It was over in 10 mins, but playing it felt like an hour!

One of the weirdest but happiest nights of my life :)

1980 buccleugh hall Langham 15yrs old
Gotta getaway by S.L.F. Could never get
the bass solo bit right after the intro, but
nailed it that night. Think it was the tartan
bondage trousers. Four bands playing all
from different villages. Needless to say it
ended in a riot, with a pay phone being thrown
on stage as the last band were finishing their
set. Great night.

My first ever 'public' appearance was my mate Gareth and me playing to a bunch of kids in the street who'd gathered to hear our racket. I'd gone around to his house for a practice, and ended up playing 'Sultans of Swing' from a little balcony.

I had a sunburst Squier Precision back then, played through the ubiquitous Carlsbro (Scorpion??) bass combo.

The year was 1985, probably in the Summer hols. We went on to form a band called 'Headland', where our peak was playing the 'Riverside' in Newcastle a couple of years later.

Steve

In 1978 playing Bass guitar on "house of the rising sun"
there's a pattern here with that tune eh?
Simon,(OG) Im looking at you!!
OH ..also "my brother Jake"
It was at some "Charidee" gig in Stretford (near Old trafford, southeners)
I was much too young to "realise" what both of those songs were about ,but when I hear them...
they make me smile, especially "my brother Jake"
we had a guy, playing piano, who was really quite good too!

Edited by witterth

1973 or 74 at Waltham Abbey town hall, a sort of battle of the bands thing. Sporting a Roger Glover stylee hat and crushed velvet loon pants.

First number was Deep Purples Space Truckin'.

Epiphone semi acoustic bass.
Selmer Goliath 4 x 10" cab.
50 Top amp

[quote name='Relise' post='910941' date='Jul 31 2010, 08:46 AM']7 nation army by the White stripes hopefully tomorrow night at the young age of 38!!!

Playing in my local pub -the Gibraltar castle in Harpenden

Fingers crossed it goes well... I'm a tad nervous already.[/quote]
Good luck, sure you will love it.

[quote name='gary mac' post='910970' date='Jul 31 2010, 09:51 AM']Good luck, sure you will love it.[/quote]
Thanks I'm sure I will once the first song is over and the nerves have calmed down.

I forgot to put my gear down ...

I'll be using an Ibanez SR500, through a Hartke L500 into an Ashdown Mag 210.

[quote name='gary mac' post='910931' date='Jul 31 2010, 08:12 AM']1973 or 74 at Waltham Abbey town hall, a sort of battle of the bands thing. Sporting a Roger Glover stylee hat and crushed velvet loon pants.

First number was Deep Purples Space Truckin'.

Epiphone semi acoustic bass.
Selmer Goliath 4 x 10" cab.
50 Top amp[/quote]

My first gig was at Loughton, about 5-8 miles from Waltham Abbey and that Selmer stuff was all over the place at the time :)

Relise - enjoy that first gig !! hope it goes well

T

Original tune called Power and the Key by a band called No Quarter. Mason's Arms, Pantygasseg - Aria SB700 through Sound City Amp. I was 17.

The tune was later recorded for Heavy Metal Heroes Vol. II (not on Spotify but it may be out there somewhere).