Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Last two shows of 2023 happened for Deadlight Dance (admittedly we probably don't look like we get many Xmas bookings on paper). We played The Swan in Wantage on Friday; an electric show with me on bass. The next night we played The Beehive in Swindon; an acoustic show with me on mandocello and mandolin. A mix of originals and a few covers by our influences - Bauhaus, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, The Cult. Friday saw us gate crash an office Xmas party which saw the dancefloor rammed to our take on Bela Lugosi's Dead (not bad for Oxfordshire in 2023 - and 34yrs this week since Nick and I first played that live at our first ever gig!) and Saturday we were praised for our witty onstage banter - I think we're more Carry On Screaming than The Shining! 

DeadlightWantage.thumb.jpg.90f9a0c396c48e280002af7b34d00a0e.jpg

• Like 13

We do stop the cavalry and "Merry Christmas Everyone" (the shakin stevens one). Not sure really how stop the cavalry is a christmas song but there you go. This year, I got fed up with dragging a keyboard around, now I have put everything on my floor pedals, so I brought a sampler for the cavalry charge intro and bells, worked really well.

Would love to play the wizzard one, absolutely hate the slade one!

I suppose that the other modern standard would be the mariah carey version.

• Like 3

Two gigs last weekend, first a birthday party in a local pub we haven’t played for years (we haven’t done a pub gig for years!) then a early start for an hour in the centre of town entertaining the local shoppers. 

First gig was for a fitness/ dance class- they knew how to party and had a fully choreographed routine to Proud Mary which certainly freshened up proceedings. Had a enquiry for a wedding at the end as well, if they can cancel their current band. Sound guy insisted one sub would be more than adequate for both gigs and he proved 100% correct, no amp required.

Did find the drummer had modified my in-ear lubricant much to everyone’s amusement. 

IMG_4103.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Decent one at the Crumpled Horn in Upminster for us on Saturday. It’s a little cramped for bands, but dropping he backline this year gave us a little more space compared to when we played there last Christmas. Due to the space restrictions, we set up sensibly, in sections rather than bringing everything in all at once, which helped us set up in record time. So we had the luixry of 45mins spare to relax before we started playing.

We played well and our super sub Sophie once again dial a great job standing in for Jenny on co-lead vocals. Good crowd from the start who were up for a party and dancing (although there was one bloke who was calling out for mustang sally even before we started.  Got the usual “one more song” requests, but we had to stop eventually as we had to pack up and get home before it got to silly o’clock.

Next stop, back at the Cow and Telescope in Southend on the 23rd for our last gig of the year.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 11

On 17/12/2023 at 00:54, moley6knipe said:

Last one of the year for me tonight (Sat 16th). 4 Play 🤨 at Smith’s in Bourne. Good! 9 til 11:20, two sets. Played well, chucked in Can’t Get Enough without rehearsal and it was fine. Fairly quiet but everyone enjoyed it!

Tight setup, and struggling for power points (I give in - I’ll bring my box of cables in future, it’s not my band / PA but…). Drummer had an amazing new sparkle green Gretsch. Bloody lovely!

Is your drummer Dave Soul by any chance ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neepheid said:

We did The Darkness "Christmas Time (Don't Let the Bells End)" for a while, but it's a bit of a left field choice and fun though it is to play it wasn't hitting the required spot like a bit of Slade or Shaky.

Our guitarist suggested it but the vocals are very high so we decided not to try it.

Dave

• Like 1

We just finished our year with two gigs on Thursday and then Saturday night at Bedford Street in Leamington Spa, I played the Squier P for the full 6 hours across the two days and you'll hear no complaints from me at all, it's an excellent sounding bass and such a joy to play. 

The place was rammed with hardly a place to move and thankfully everyone was in the mood to dance and sing.

We've been booked for a further 6 shows in Jan and Feb!

Some serious bass face in this photo for you to enjoy! 

PHOTO-2023-12-18-18-47-00.thumb.jpg.6750703ca0aba3900a8806d8b58f19ac.jpg

C48584B9-CCA4-4312-BA0B-5BD5313231FA.thumb.JPG.3966e107ed3172f4ed1960b5ee8cb327.JPG

• Like 12

I might have to hand in my basschat membership card at this rate, as once again no bass was played. After a sudden decision 4 hours before the performanceI I played the bass lines on piano accordion. We did some rock'n'roll classics, T-Rex, etc. It's the closest I've ever got to a genuine Marshall stack... and wasn't plugged in to it  :( 

Square_Royale-4.thumb.jpeg.2b005488da657b89c52ece1519ae2fae.jpeg

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Oh, nearly forgot - a wifie from the PRS came to our gig and actually came to say hello.  First time that's ever happened to me.  We handed her a copy of our set list and I think she just naffed off again.  Didn't see her at half time or at the end, lol.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The first one makes Noddy Holder £250,000 every Christmas!

I've seen a figure north of £320k - definitely a nice little earner. I'm sure there's a fair few artists living the dream even off Spotify streams every Christmas, and probably a fair few estates paying out to heirs.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I'm sure there's a fair few artists living the dream even off Spotify streams every Christmas, and probably a fair few estates paying out to heirs.

I would have thought it was only a few artists living the dream from spotify income - $4000 for a million streams

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I would have thought it was only a few artists living the dream from spotify income - $4000 for a million streams

Depends on the dream expectations I guess. That Mariah Carey song was streamed 101 million times one week in November alone: https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/mariah-carey-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you-number-one-15th-week-global-200-1235550829/ (although admittedly not just from Spotify)

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Depends on the dream expectations I guess. That Mariah Carey song was streamed 101 million times one week in November alone: https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/mariah-carey-all-i-want-for-christmas-is-you-number-one-15th-week-global-200-1235550829/ (although admittedly not just from Spotify)

Indeed - as I said just a few, not many mariah careys out there are there. And quite a few of those would be better paying streaming services, apple music pays twice what spotify does so that will make it a bit better

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Guitarist I know in a young indie band. They got a grant to record an EP that got picked up by the BBC. The got £1,800 for about a month's worth if being on rotation, that covered over half the recording cost, plus they got a decent PRS payment. Five lads aren't going to live off that level of income but you can see the potential if you have a hit.

• Like 2