Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Mustang Sally (yes, I know!) played our two gigs at the gillingham dorset show on sat/sun, straight 2 hour sets both days in a huge beer tent. Weather on sat was awful, punters mostly absent, mud everywhere so a paid rehearsal, I guess. Sunday much better with sunshine and a lot more watching, enjoyable day and over the weekend 4x one hour sets to get used to my new MM Bongo - love it! Major mud removal task from cases and boots today, then off to a rehearsal at 7...

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

A wee warm up show at the Glasgow HMV, ahead of a big show case we're doing next week.  Definitely had the vibes of a gig you'd expect to be doing in your teens, plus it was done at quite a significant financial loss, but hey ho.  Zero monitoring either, sounded OK out front though.

Who are you? Wish people would identify their bands😬

We (The Bridge) played at our singer’s local pub in Gloucester, hence the place was rammed. I was getting over a second bout of covid (nothing like my 2020 close call! - More like a nasty cold with a hangover this time thank goodness!) 

I sat for some songs and stood for others (tested negative before) and only arrived just before we started and left straight after. Played fine, with IEMs it’s no stress or struggle anyway. We had our stand in FOH guy, so no pics or vids this week. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, woodyratm said:

battle of the bands

We did one of those recently and it turned out to be a contest of how many Instagram votes you could muster.

Sadly, our Facebook followers tend not to bother with it being a touch older...

We'd been told there were three judges, which is why we did it!

Sold out pre-tour warm up show at Teignmouth Pavilion Theatre on Friday night with Leather & Lace.... great gig with best IEM sound I've ever had thanks to a fill-in last minute tech who really knew their stuff! Lots of compliments on the Spector/GK tones outfront too! All ready for our 'Bootleg Rock Show' theatre tour in May/June now 😎🎸🎶

Sat night I played with the function band at a fabulous private 40th bday gig in the grounds of an amazing old house in Stow On The Wold. We were well looked after, there was great food & drink, lots of well bred ladies and mucho audience singing and dancing 😃

FB_IMG_1682164976114.jpg

FB_IMG_1682164994699.jpg

FB_IMG_1682262591568.jpg

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

We did one of those recently and it turned out to be a contest of how many Instagram votes you could muster.

Sadly, our Facebook followers tend not to bother with it being a touch older...

We'd been told there were three judges, which is why we did it!

Yeah, apparently it’s the bar staff and sound person who judge it. But I’ve a sneaky feeling that the bands the venue has sorta created will win. 

if it’s a social media contest, we’re buggered! 

11 hours ago, woodyratm said:

Played a great gig on Friday! Had some weird issues with one of our DIs dying for some reason - but we got it sorted!

Got an insane amount of of compliments on the band and even my bass sound and playing. I have to learn how to take those compliments! 😂

Sadly the live stream didn’t go on but oh well. Next gig in a battle of the bands for £2k. So if anyone is free in aberdeen and wants to see a band that sounds like faith no more covering the prodigy (apparently!), you’re welcome to come party! 

LED shoes not required 😂

IMG_9512.jpeg

WOW your singer can float. :laugh1:

All the best for Battle of the Bands contest and keep us posted how you get on.

Aberdeen a wee bit far for me.

Dave

47 minutes ago, woodyratm said:

Yeah, apparently it’s the bar staff and sound person who judge it. But I’ve a sneaky feeling that the bands the venue has sorta created will win. 

if it’s a social media contest, we’re buggered! 

Eh, it's a gig.  First one in ages for the 'Spoons, 'cos sax player got a job offshore and trying to work around his shift patterns has been a challenge.

I don't take any of these BOTB things seriously, we're too niche to win anyway.  It's more a case of reminding the three people who maybe care that we still exist as a going concern... ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Brought a HiFlier and. Longhorn to the gig. Hadn’t touched the HiFlier since I played it at a gig last week. It’s that time of year , the relief had shifted and the first two frets were buzzing out. I didn’t have my trusty Allen keys with me. Thankfully the Longhorn doesn’t have much of a seasonal shift.

Slightly loosened the truss rod this morning and all is once again good. I’m going to be checking neck relief before I head out the door for the next while.

Keep an eye on your stuff , it’s that time of year again.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Eh, it's a gig.  First one in ages for the 'Spoons, 'cos sax player got a job offshore and trying to work around his shift patterns has been a challenge.

I don't take any of these BOTB things seriously, we're too niche to win anyway.  It's more a case of reminding the three people who maybe care that we still exist as a going concern... ;)

My words were “if we play the gig and one person becomes interested in us, then that’s a win!”

I mean don’t get me wrong, we’re still going to try and get people there. My wife is going to arrange a work night out that just happens to involve a battle of the bands at Krakatoa/moorings! 😂

• Like 2

On 23/04/2023 at 23:39, WalMan said:

I ought to have another go at getting something there but have recollections of it being tiny from the last time I was there probably 10 years ago

It is small, particularly for a 6 piece! White Hart, where we are next week, is better although the High St can get a bit lairy!

• Like 1

Not a gig as such, but the first rehearsal of a new three piece, 'The Rip', last night. I've played with the drummer and guitarist/singer individually, but never in this line up. All competent musicians but great to have something that works from the start and for everyone to be on the same wavelength. It was formed to play a one-off gig at a festival but we all agreed last night that there's more life in the project. 😃

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Not a gig as such, but the first rehearsal of a new three piece, 'The Rip', last night. I've played with the drummer and guitarist/singer individually, but never in this line up. All competent musicians but great to have something that works from the start and for everyone to be on the same wavelength. It was formed to play a one-off gig at a festival but we all agreed last night that there's more life in the project. 😃

I like when that happens. There's something exciting about it just working from the word go.

Good luck with this project.

Dave

• Like 1

On 23/04/2023 at 14:32, martthebass said:

Bit o bass face going on there Daryl!

I know, weird how that happens.

After our set I went out to the bar in the lobby alone to see if I'd get recognized and get a little attention.

A guy came up to me and started asking me about my tone and playing.

Before he could get a few words out I interrupted him and merely said " Busy ! "

Lol 😄

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 1

I was in two minds whether to post this but as we were live in public thought it fitted this thread; last night my duo Deadlight Dance played on Don't Stop the Music Show on Swindon 105.5FM. As part of the hour long special they played our last single and interviewed us but we got to play five acoustic songs on air, going out live. It was quite daunting because you just don't know who is listening. Because there it was 100% acoustic, I decided to do my performance on the mandolin as I thought the bass wouldn't cut through. At the time it felt relaxed and the feedback was great. I've since listened to the show and over analysed the fun out of it a bit more but, no, it was good! 

I could tell that Peggy-Sue really liked us and she was great at putting us at ease. I felt the conversation was fairly effortless and we are definitely keen to come back once we have finished our album. 

IMG_2163.jpg.61206e6eb2aee67081d1baab34a38715.jpg

• Like 15

We took our Bandeoke show to the Blue Lagoon in Bristol last night. 

First time there, and sadly a very quiet night. However those who were there couldn't have been more enthusiastic, one young woman even came up and gave us a 20 quid tip!

The dearth of punters meant we basically played a two hour request show. I used my new HB 25th anniversary bass, Bugera Veyron into Barefaced Compact and jolly good it all was too.

Just after we had finished the pack down a rugby team walked in. If only they'd been an hour earlier....

Compress_20230428_083539_9013.jpg

• Like 11

Last night's gig was in a tiny venue - the Three Horseshoes in Charlbury. The scroll of my bass was a couple of inches under the ceiling and it had to stay in place, held upright, during the interval as there was nowhere to put it down. The rooms were very cramped as well.

Good gig, though - the audience appeared very pleased with the music. I was also incredibly lucky and found a large parking space right outside the front door of the pub.
Though the band advertises as jazz the BL wants material that is easier on the general public's ear and so it tends to involve quite a few long grooves with obvious blues or reggae influence.

IMG_4575.heic.jpg

IMG_4576.heic.jpg

IMG_4577.heic.jpg

IMG_4578.heic.jpg

• Like 10

On 28/04/2023 at 08:36, stewblack said:

We took our Bandeoke show to the Blue Lagoon in Bristol last night. 

First time there, and sadly a very quiet night. However those who were there couldn't have been more enthusiastic, one young woman even came up and gave us a 20 quid tip!

The dearth of punters meant we basically played a two hour request show. I used my new HB 25th anniversary bass, Bugera Veyron into Barefaced Compact and jolly good it all was too.

Just after we had finished the pack down a rugby team walked in. If only they'd been an hour earlier....

Compress_20230428_083539_9013.jpg

Must... resist... don't... look... at... that... bass...

:D

Another month, another working men's club. This was very Phoenix Nights. We all made some heinous mistakes during the first set, bit we were on it for the second and encores, so it ended up being a good night.

I got some great compliments on my playing and tone, and I'm loving this setup with the ABM Evo IV, Two10S and V7. One (admittedly quite inebriated) chap even declared me to be the best bass player he's ever heard with the exception of John Entwistle, which I'll take! 🤣 And the most attractive woman there by several hundred miles made a point of saying thank you to me for us putting on a great show, so that was just the cherry on the icing on the cake.

The only downside was not getting home until 12.30am, not getting to sleep until 2, but then having to be up at 6.30 to hand off @Merton's broken amp to his sister. Fortunately Mrs Greg let me have a lie in until 10.30, so a good start to my long weekend.

PXL_20230428_221131812.jpg

Edited by asingardenof
  • Like 11

Good gig last night in the Butchers Arms in Inverurie.  Three quarters of the band had been absolutely full of the cold in the run up to last night, it was very much a case of kill or cure.  I only started feeling more like myself the day before.  Poor singer - he was really feeling it, high notes were an issue despite warming up and Vocalzone lozenges so we skipped a few he felt he wouldn't be able to do and juggled the set around a bit.  It was a really cool audience though - they could see that he was struggling but powering through and not only appreciated the effort but really stepped in with the singing along on quite a few songs.  Made it to the end, and I even got a couple of compliments on my playing - always nice to hear.

Singer sounded like a frog afterwards, poor guy.  Thankfully we've got a month off from gigs now so plenty recovery time.

Weapon of choice last night: Reverend Triad.  Even remembered to flex those series muscles a couple of times from the Freeway switch I wired in.

image.thumb.png.98ad6ba19b1e6a98a196303583849cc4.png

• Like 10