Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played a private party on the South Gower Coast last night. This was the view as we set up:

DSCG9429-1.thumb.jpg.7a6b0efcc2713174a9a58d73d202d590.jpg

DSCG9434-1.thumb.jpg.caf2470a6e7c0a9d66f8a6dd6eb3b5a3.jpg

By the time we went on, it was dark and very cold, with a wind coming in off the sea. It took a couple of songs for me to even be able to feel my fingers. Slow start with a small but ultimately appreciative audience, including some sheep in the field behind the marquee. 

The PA took care of the heavy lifting, so the Trace and BAM200 were for monitoring only and I DI'd the Ray34HH via my Laney Digbeth pre-amp.

• Like 11

My blues rock trio Toredown played at the Shamrock pub in Ipswich last night.  Only tiny but our favourite place to play, with slight uncertainty as it was the first time since a change of ownership.  A lot of people came just to see us and a lot of new people stayed to watch us - we played very well, went down brilliantly, loads of the new faces came up at the end - has to be one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever had.  Guitarist Alan feeds on this and his playing was incandescent :)  New owners loved us and asked if we could play there every month.  We don't think we should or could but certainly we'll play there more regularly.  A12 shut on the way home, diverted through country lanes, home at 2am, but it couldn't take the shine off the night really. :) 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Second of three gigs this year for our (very) occasional country band ‘The Fork Handles’.

Venue was a British Legion club in a small town just outside Hull. Must admit I didn’t count

on them selling all the tickets, so when I arrived at 7pm the place was already heaving.

Tiny stage, house PA not ideally situated for us and a new drummer didn’t manage to put

the mockers on the night, with plenty of smiling faces all around. Some dodgy moments

here and there of course, but overall one of those small good time gigs that I will never 

tire of. Used my Dano Longhorn into a GK / Barefaced Compact set up, and had plenty

of warm bottom end sound.

(No pics I’m afraid, although if any surface from the punters I’ll add them later.)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

Played a private party on the South Gower Coast last night. This was the view as we set up:

DSCG9429-1.thumb.jpg.7a6b0efcc2713174a9a58d73d202d590.jpg

DSCG9434-1.thumb.jpg.caf2470a6e7c0a9d66f8a6dd6eb3b5a3.jpg

By the time we went on, it was dark and very cold, with a wind coming in off the sea. It took a couple of songs for me to even be able to feel my fingers. Slow start with a small but ultimately appreciative audience, including some sheep in the field behind the marquee. 

The PA took care of the heavy lifting, so the Trace and BAM200 were for monitoring only and I DI'd the Ray34HH via my Laney Digbeth pre-amp.

Nice pics and gig summary.

Blue

• Thanks 1

A private function in a local hotel venue. Kinda weird when no one dances for the first set, as some people caught up after 30 years on seeing each other. Got better in the second half, set list went out the window, but the buffet was a highlight. 🤣 

Off on two weeks holiday, so no rehearsals, let’s see how much I remember after two weeks on Pina Coladas. 😳

• Like 5

Last night our drummer did his first gig with a Roland electric kit but normal cymbals. The drum sound was so much more manageable, more space on stage, less stage volume and just an overall much better sound. The gig itself was good as always, the Horn in St Albans is a decent venue and with live bands playing late and free entry it gets a decent crowd.

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Oops! I try to limit what I drink before I play, as I've had that experience as well!

When i did drink i limited it to one pint before and / or during a gig. Now i dont bother with drink too much and i'm always driving i just drink bottled water all night. Look at my avatar and you'll understand why i need water. Stages get very warm. :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

One of our regular haunts last night. It was worryingly quiet whilst we were setting up (only about 20 people in between 7pm and 9pm) and we were fearing the worst. Luckily the regulars piled in at about 9.15 for our 9.30 start and it ended up being packed out. We played well and the sound was great by all accounts. 

FB_IMG_1664005768700.thumb.jpg.b8c89034599ff492192b0fe5f37e8e84.jpg

FB_IMG_1664005718042.thumb.jpg.2b322a4168ea65d3a3079a19d23403c0.jpg

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 8

The band I'd been playing in until the end of last year, when the singer started having mental health issues, finally played again last night. The singer and keyboard player had separate slots at a beer festival, which they decided to combine, and I decided to turn up too and see if they wanted me to join in. When I got there, I found that the percussionist (who suffered a heart attack a little while ago, after we'd last gigged together) had also turned up. So, completely unrehearsed, and with an interval of over a year since we'd last played together (the percussionist was double booked for the last gig so we'd got a dep in), we weighed in. Went down an absolute storm. It does help that a large part of the audience already knew us and liked us.

I'm hoping that this isn't going to be a one-off. We all really enjoyed ourselves.

• Like 11

We played a set at the UK Country Music awards. Short and sweet, as there were numerous acts on the bill, interspersed with some talking and eating and general awarding. 

Really friendly and helpful crew and there was no chicken wire in place, so it was obviously a civilised crowd.

We played well and got some positive reponses from the audience, which was nice, as we're more geared to Americana, than straight country, although I've no idea what the difference is really.

Anyway, the band's called Fine Lines, just so I don't get shouted at.

20220924_170417.jpg

IMG-20220924-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220924-WA0001.jpg

Edited by jimmyb625
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

We played a set at the UK Country Music awards. Short and sweet, as there were numerous acts on the bill, interspersed with some talking and eating and general awarding. 

Really friendly and helpful crew and there was no chicken wire in place, so it was obviously a civilised crowd.

We played well and got some positive reponses from the audience, which was nice, as we're more geared to Americana, than straight country, although I've no idea what the difference is really.

I think with Americana you're allowed to play more than root and 5th.

• Haha 3

Saturday 9/24, 5-8pm, 
She's Right - I'm Left LIVE at The Harley MOTOR Bar & Restaurant in Milwaukee!

1. Easy load in and out

2. 20 minutes travel

3. Professional Staff ( they know how to treat bands )

4. Upscale clientele

5. Above average pay

6. Comped food & drinks

7. We were pretty good tonight.

Blue

1664072960419~2.jpg

20220924_161100.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1