Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Must be the season!

Last night was immense! great line up, best sound we've ever had at the Venue, it was packed to the rafters as well, had to fight our way to the stage. We got mobbed afterwards and ended up playing until after 1am. The live Dubstep/Electronica is really stating to pull crowds.

Feedback was the best we've had. We left very broken, but very happy. I did get a pint thrown over my pedalboard though so here's hoping its all OK today! :)

Sounds like it's been a good weekend!

We also had our first gig of the season last night at the Doghouse in Dundee. An acoustic session with 2 other bands & a couple of solo performers on the bill with us.
Started off with only a small amount of folk in the venue & I thought "Oh dear, oh well, we can still have fun". But as the night went on, the place picked up.
So much so that when we got on stage there was quite a decent audience.

The singer/guitarist had some feedback issues with his acoustic (piezo pickup hasn't been fitted properly) & I forgot my auralex foam thingy & we was on a wooden stage that gave loads of boom, so much twiddling with EQs was needed, but we got there & what a great reception we got. So much so, that we've been asked back to do a full evening set (date TBC).
Even the headline act gave his appreciation of us before he did his closing number. Gotta be the friendliest place I've ever played!

Great gig last night in The Old George in South Cerney. The last night of the 3 day M4 Festival for charity. Saw some great bands and Glen Matlock was on stage to do set after us and said "that Operation 77 ain't half bad"

It's a new band for me, a mix of my old band and another we had had three rehearsals and went for it, and it worked out ok.

Looking forward to many more fun gigs :)

Played last night in Bar 62, in St Albans, with The Tuesday Club.

Audience were receptive, and we went down well. Only thing is, on a Sunday in late Jan, not too many people out and about, due to that Xmas malarkey emptying everyones wallets.

It would be easy to get all downbeat about it, moaning about lack of crowd, but a few more people that hadn`t seen the band saw us, and they liked us, that`s the main thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Story of Sunday evening's gig:

Freezing cold outside and somewhat draughty in the pub. Plus a feeling of resentment amongst the few punters that were there, due to the fact that one of their friends had apparently been barred. Not very good as an atmosphere for the hilarious comedy songs to which Dik and I were going to treat them.!

Had to sit through 3 acts before we went on. The first 2 were a bit dire. Unsurprisingly, they were the ones who pissed off as soon as they were done and didn't bother to stay and see us. Although they did wait until after the raffle had been drawn. :rolleyes: Next up was a local singer songwriter who is a good bloke and stayed to the end.

Dik was rather disapointed of course, as the laughter from about 6 people rang out rather feebly in the (albiet small) room. From a selfish point of view, I was OK as it was only my third gig and it was good to get in some more experience. We did about 5 songs and I felt really happy with 4 of them. Didn't make any mistakes and managed to put a bit of welly into it this time. Unfortunately I did lose my way in the middle of one song, but just stopped and picked it up again when I could. Didn't laugh nervously and apologise (unlike the first bloke we sat through, I'm proud to say!).

Dik forgot his kazoo, which is an integral part of the act! So my greatest achievement all night was to announce that we would be playing air kazoo, and then join Dik in making kazoo sounds into the mic to the tune of Scotland the Brave. And keeping a bass line going throughout!!

Hopefully there will be more when the weather is warmer, and the regulars have got over their strop about the person that was banned! :lol:

Not so great. We have a new singer, and while we're not quite up to proper gigging speed, we played a couple of tracks at an acoustic open mic night. I have a fretless acoustic I've been practicing with for the occasion.
Our playing was fine, we'd practiced quite a bit and re-jigged one of our metal songs, but the crowd was full of hipsters, skinny jeans and "ironic" jumpers. I've never felt more judged in my life. It just had that pretentious feeling, very awkward. I can't quite explain but the atmosphere was horrible.

Can't wait to gig electric in some pubs again...

Gigged Tuesday, first of the year and 2nd overall with the 'new' band. We did 2 new songs which were a bit unrehearsed and I made a massive error on another but covered it and I think it went down well. We've changed styles massively since our other guitarist left so we were all a bit nervous about palying the new material in front of our friends but they seemed to like the new direction. Bonus.

Did the late, late show at whistlebinkies' in Edinburgh again last night, 00.30 till 2.45am. When we walked in at 11.30 the bar was half empty, at the beginnig of the second set at 1.45 we couldn't get back to the stage for the throng of people!
Large sections of the crowd consisted of young nubile ladies giving it all on the dancefloor, how good is that! Distracting though, dropped a few notes here and there...

Big downside, i'm a wreck at work this morning!

Mello Mello in Liverpool,

Another good one. Not quite at the heights of Newcastle the other week, but a good sized appreciative crowd.

Mr Venom was a bit under the weather (although most people wouldn't have realised) so the performance wasn't quite as wild as it could be.

Sold some CDs. Plenty of good comments. And Rowan Reid (daughter of Jamie Reid) who was supporting said she liked us.

Next week is the big one - our official single and video lauch. looking forward to some more Terrortone mayhem.

An eventful evening in the wilds of Suffolk. Sound check - guitarist sounds fine until he picks up his strat, it starts feeding back and making unpleasant noises. I plug in my bass, and the bass amp starts broadcasting the background noise, and then feeds back too. WTF? After a bit of headscratching - inspiration - there must be an inductive loop somewhere, causing the single coils in my bass and the strat to behave like hearing aids!

Sure enough, I found the culprit and turned it off, and normality was restored. Thank you basschatters, I'm sure my deductive powers were a result of a half-remembered conversation on this forum.

Gig was great - journey home was interesting in the snow. Fire up the Quattro, Polly!!

Played (on Fri) at The Crauford Arms, Wolverton, Milton Keynes, with my punk covers band, The Daves.

Gig was very good, The Crauford is a great venue, mixture of young/middle/old, all there for a good evening, they love their music there.

Was our 2nd gig with our new drummer. We played well, couple of slip ups, but in a set of 40 songs that can be forgiven, was very well received, hope to arrange more gigs there soon. Some people who hadn`t seen us before came up to us afterwards and said they really enjoyed it, and it took them back to their youth - well that`s why we do it as well, all being 43 - 46 :)

Played at the Pop Corn club in Marghera Venice Saturday night.

We were awful

First off drum kit missing 2 cymbal stands
Hired D50 keyboard had faulty keys so required another 5 octave keyboard to be found and midi'd up.
Bass head was a feeble thin sounding solid state into a 1x15 when had asked for valve into 4x10.....
No dressing room....

When we eventually went on the monitor mix was nothing like the soundcheck monitor mix.
The distorted channel on the guitar amp seemed to be 5 times louder than the clean channel and both seemed twice as loud as at the soundcheck.
As a result the guitarist could only hear himself.
The snare mic seemed to have problems throughout (tech jumping on stage fiddling with it all the time).

As a result we played like sh*te.

The punters and promoter seemed to enjoy it though.
And we did get paid.

And then we got delayed on the plane home.

Only good bit of weekend was drinking a Venetian pub dry of Johnny Walker red label on Friday night.

Beyond fantastic...

Launch night for Dick Venom & The Terrortones single and video.

It's always a bit nerve-wracking when you do an important gig in your home town, as no matter how hard you promote it there's always the possibility of the evening falling flat. However last night Nottingham you did us proud, and I hope you thought that Dick Venom & The Terrortones were worth trekking through the cold and snow for - it certainly appeared that you did last night!

Two fantastic bands on before us - Crushing Blows and Practical Lovers and burlesque acts in between.

Pretty much a perfect gig. Despite being local I didn't get home until well after 4 in the morning... Will post some pics of the mayhem as soon as I get them - off to do some more sleeping now...

One of the bad ones, and not in a way that I ever expected.
We play a once-a-month slot at a local pub and have built up a healthy crowd.
Last night I had to make the announcement that we were a duo, rather than a trio, because the drummer's wife had died two weeks ago. She was 32 and collapsed and died at home, alone, due to a blood clot. Totally out of the blue. Craig, the drummer, is devastated, as you would expect. Particularly as they'd only been married 18 months.
She always came to see us, and we dedicated the gig to her.

After my enforced layoff for almost 3 years I was back in harness again last night having joined a established band a couple of weeks ago. Two full sets and a couple of encores to an enthusiastic crowd at The Swan in Farnborough. Negotiations for me to join have been going on for a couple of months which gave me ample time to learn their set list. A great mix of songs and not a 12-bar among them. Punters were happy, band were happy, I'm happy and we'll do it again next Friday. It's great to be back.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1328990593' post='1535847']
Last night I had to make the announcement that we were a duo, rather than a trio, because the drummer's wife had died two weeks ago. She was 32 and collapsed and died at home, alone, due to a blood clot. Totally out of the blue. Craig, the drummer, is devastated, as you would expect. Particularly as they'd only been married 18 months.
[/quote]

Only just saw this post. What terrible news, Len.
So sorry to hear about that. (( ))

A couple of photos from the Dick Venom & The Terrortones Single and Video Launch Party:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DickVenomTantra3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DickVenomTantra2.jpg[/IMG]

There's more [url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.388573674491712.115098.137154026300346&type=1]here[/url] but be warned some of them are NSFW...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1194446867' post='84939']
Not really a gig, but I had my first rehearsal with a potential new band in Reading last night.

It was due to start @7pm but due to an accident, I didn't get there until 8 and quite honestly, once I set up I really wasn't in the mood.

I found myself playing fistfuls of wrong notes, I somehow managed to wind myself up in the bass lead about 3 times and I had to use the Rehearsal studio's amp set up.

I must be getting old because I couldn't hear a note I was playing during certain songs and kept thinking I was playing flat.

I must admit, I do actually struggle to hear the bass more and more and we don't usually use monitors. A few people have suggested maybe looking at the Epifani 3 x 10 or the Schroeder will will apparently give more support to the bass player and allow me to hear myself better. Any ideas on this?

Got an email from the drummer from the band this morning saying they thought I fitted in really well and they want me back!! What do I know eh?
[/quote]

You could do worse than a Schroeder for this sort of thing. Ive never had any problems with hearing myself (not sure if thats good or bad). They are an acquired taste though. If you can get over to Muswell Hill to pick my 1212L up you're welcome to borrow it for a few gigs/rehearsals. Failing that, we are playing in Knapp Hill on 23rd June.

Good news on the new band front. Hope it works out.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1328990593' post='1535847']
[/quote]

That is really sad, sorry to hear that Len.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1329322277' post='1540653']
That is really sad, sorry to hear that Len.
[/quote]
[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1329147098' post='1537797']
Only just saw this post. What terrible news, Len.
So sorry to hear about that. (( ))
[/quote]

Thanks friends. I normally have no qualms about public speaking, but I did that night.

If there's any message we can take from it I think it's 'live life to the full while you've got it'.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1329321967' post='1540642']
Seen the pictures on Facebook.
any chance of coming to Belfast :P
[/quote]
We'd love to!

Basically we'll play anywhere that will cover our expenses - we'd probably need to do a bit of a NI tour to make the travel worth while.

Unfortunately we can't guarantee to bring the burlesque girls...