Why become a member? ×

Has genre ever made you change your bass?

HMX

It's quite a vague question, I know.

I've joined a rock and punk covers band and we're gonna be getting a few gigs over the next few months, and I have a Spector Legend 4. I've had it for over 2 years now. It's a solid bass, and has a good tone for metal and alternative rock, it just doesn't feel right in this genre/setting. I find it hard to explain, I'd just love to have a new bass (just GAS maybe?) The EMGs are sounding a bit stale to me now too - I change my strings quite often too.

After having it a couple of years, I'm thinking of selling and stepping up to (hopefully) a Musicman SUB, Sterling or StingRay. I feel, for me, a Musicman will cover all of my genres and I know it sounds great in punk.

Any thoughts? And has anyone else changed/sold and bought a new bass due to a change in genre?

Thanks

Sort of, I only ever play my BC Rich in my metal bands, and my Schecter is a more all round bass. I really want a new one though that is just for my new DnB project, a nice 6er, probably Ibanez or something, string it up F#BEADG and then use that, because right now, my basses are still being used for other purposes so I can't spare one just for this purpose, which is annoying.

Zach

I suppose the answer is no, but I do take different combinations of amps and cabs to the various bands I play with, but the Lakland has covered everything to everyone's satisfaction so far. I know I have lost some gigs because I don't have a double bass but I'm not in the position to splash out on one.

I used to play a Warwick Corvette Proline 5 string. When I joined my current band (old school funk/soul/jazz/R&B etc) I traded it for a Fender Jazz.

The Warwick just didn't have the right 'vibe'. It was a lovely instrument though...

EDIT> I should add that I was playing more contemporary jazz/funk before.

Edited by Ray

[quote name='Ray' post='705678' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:23 PM']I used to play a Warwick Corvette Proline 5 string. When I joined my current band (old school funk/soul/jazz/R&B etc) I traded it for a Fender Jazz.

The Warwick just didn't have the right 'vibe'. It was a lovely instrument though...[/quote]
Yes, perhaps the word I'm searching for is 'vibe'. I would do the same thing if I joined a funk/soul project.

I started out in a Glam / punk band playing a Fender Precision. I played the exactly the same bass at a gig with my alt.country band back in November. The majority of my bands have been in the alt.country vein but I also played in a punk band and a mod band in my younger days where the Fender P fitted just fine. I did briefly switch to a jazz during the Mod band but that's hardly a great change. I suppose the alt.country did finally inspire me to get a double bass but I was dreaming of one back in my Glam rock youth.

Awesome thread by the way

after the demise of my old blues band i joined a funk band who play quite a few old Chic / Sister Sledge style songs so i really wanted to get that lovely old disco (Bernard Edwards) tone & my Gibson just can't do that.
which was of course a good excuse to buy my 2 band Stingray & nice set of EB flats,sorted.

[quote name='Ray' post='705678' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:23 PM']I used to play a Warwick Corvette Proline 5 string. When I joined my current band (old school funk/soul/jazz/R&B etc) I traded it for a Fender Jazz.

The Warwick just didn't have the right 'vibe'. It was a lovely instrument though...[/quote]

For reasons of 'vibe' I changed my Yamaha for a Fender Jazz after I started playing old school soul/Motown

[quote name='Marvin' post='705721' date='Jan 8 2010, 04:53 PM']Drummer I know said my Ibby was very hard rock/metal, and couldn't really see it fitting with some genres. Looks even more metal now, since I put a new strap on it

[attachment=39650:_GS60_Tr...___Black.jpeg][/quote]

Of course there's the other musicians (oops, sorry, you said drummer) prejudices - I didn't get a gig because I didn't have a traditional Fender!

Not exactly but when I last got a new bass, the fact that I'd be playing some metal and fairly lively rock did influence what I bought. IE there was no was I would've bought a bass that was muddy or short scale.
FWIW I think the Spector should work really well, maybe you feel like change for changes sake?

My Ibanez with Warwick Blacks gets used for a rock-ish covers band (Chilis and Muse) and a metal/dancecore band, it's all good. I use my EQ lots. I guess I might get a P in the future for some stuff, but I'm happy with my beautiful Ibby at the moment.

Edited by M4L666

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='706333' date='Jan 9 2010, 10:14 AM']Not exactly but when I last got a new bass, the fact that I'd be playing some metal and fairly lively rock did influence what I bought. IE there was no was I would've bought a bass that was muddy or short scale.
FWIW I think the Spector should work really well, maybe you feel like change for changes sake?[/quote]
Perhaps so, yes. I mean I just do feel like a change after 2 years, and I've been after a Fender for a while, it's my next step up on the bass ladder. Hopefully I can get a used MIJ or MIA Precision for around £400-550.

How does a Spector neck compare to a Precision?