Why become a member? ×

Musical goals for the year

thunderbird13

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='700411' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:22 PM']Get the new three piece out gigging.
Learn how to do some really basic BV's whilst playing - any tips out there?[/quote]
I do backing and ocasional lead vocals and I find that I can only do it when I know the words and bass line off by heart. The slightest chink in the armour and things start to go wrong. Practice- a lot and don't be ashamed to simplify the bass part in order to be able to sing at the same time.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='700344' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:04 PM']To write just one piece of music I can be proud of. Just one. :)[/quote]
That would probably be mine too, though I can't see it ever happening. Everything I've ever written has been utter sh*t.

1. To get an interpreter for the rest of the band I recently joined (I'm 20 years older the them).
2. To stop widdling Jaco bits in the gap between songs in rehersals (thats for the g***arist to do)
3. To get the band from 40 minute support slots to something where you can work a real sweat up.
4. To bring about world peace and democracy for the Wigan Unpopular Front.
5. To eat a beaver and save a tree.

Less online interacting and more practicing. (ie facebook- not really basschat as there's plenty of tips and tricks on here to inspire me)
Im getting a double bass in the coming weeks so maybe some sort of music-practice thing. Ive never really got to grips with a practice schedule.
Actually complete a recording- lots of sketches but nothing framed!
lose a load of pounds so as to get gig fit and have to worry about things like buckle rash (hasnt been a problem since I grew a few bellies)

1. Improve my BV's
2. Write more lyrics and songs
3. Don't get hung up about playing something clever if the song doesn't suit or need it
4. Do around 15-20 gigs
5. New album to be finished and out by summer
6. Get on the wireless
7. Do a festival or two
8. Maybe practice in between rehearsals will help.....

I'm in the process of putting together an improv house disco band. The idea is that we do live mash ups and remixes on the fly after agreeing before hand which songs can mash up with each other best. Then we each learn the component parts and pre agreed signals for doing things like break downs and segues and make it up on stage. It's going to take a lot of rehearsal but I think once we're all used to communicating and reacting while we're playing, it'll be one of the most amazing experiences. Have a keyboardist and singer lined up so far but am looking for a solid drummer.

I haven't got any goals.. most of the fun comes from from stuff happening I didn't expect.

The only one I have is to continue to enjoy what I do, and not get sacked again. ha ha.

(edited to add: So I do have a goal. Two of 'em. Kind of.)

Edited by wateroftyne

1. To practice more ... which in turn means spending less time on BassChat!
2. To play between 1-3 gigs a month (any more becomes a hassle with job and family)
3. To support a 'name' punk band (we did a couple of dates with 999 last year but would love to get hooked up to others)
4. To write a couple of good songs for our second album
5. To stop trading basses and amps and be happy with what I have got
6. To improve at fingerstyle playing
7. To understand note choices better (not necessarily by immersing in theory as I'm rubbish at that)

[quote name='Clarky' post='700793' date='Jan 4 2010, 06:56 PM']1. To practice more ... which in turn means spending less time on BassChat![/quote]
Er... Basschat [b]isn't[/b] practice???? :)

Edit: Damn... looks like I'm really not working as hard on this bass thing as I thought I was.

Edited by Eight

in no particular order mine are:

finish writing/recording all the odd little solo bass ideas i have

finish writing/recording all my 'proper' songs i have

DON'T GET DE-MOTIVATED/SIDETRACKED SO OFTEN!!

get a new bass

get a new bass rig

practice, practice, practice

get in a new originals band

gig more and get better gigs and maybe even the odd solo gig

and, improve my fretless playing (as it seems to be all the rage round here!)

did i mention not getting de-motivated/sidetracked so often!?!

peace

c

Last year I set myself the goal of being able to slap better. After following Stuart Clayton's book I did it, but I wouldn't pretend to be anything other than "okay" at it.

This year, I'd like to gig loads. It's not too much to ask you may think. However, this is unlikely to happen. I'm about to move house, my wife is pregnant and there's a reasonable chance that I'm going to lose my job reasonably soon. That's just the first 6 months of the year.

Stranger still, my drummer recently moved to Sheffield and it appears finding someone as good as him is going to be rather difficult to say the least. That's even before I get to the problem of getting a good singer.

I haven't played a gig in a year and haven't even went to a rehearsal/jam since August. It's times like this that I wonder why I don't just jack it all. Though maybe not. I'd have to sell some seriously great basses.

In light of all this, I'll settle for perfecting my typewriter style.

Finish the album.

Gig more. Haven't been out since August & I hate it.

Finish the album.

Sort out my rig with something loud, light & reliable, so I can stop thinking about it.

Finish the album.

Get a better PA.

Finish the album.

Kick the drummer in the face until he learns the songs properly, then kick him in the face until he plays them better. Then just kick him in the face, because it's satisfying.

Finish the album.

Play more fretless & gig with the bloody thing.

Finish the album.

Revive The John Rutsey (RIP) Experience, and play bad Rush covers in the safety of the basement.

Finish the album.

Get on with - and hopefully finish - some of my many projects, predominantly The Backbreaking Bass Of Glass.

Finish. The. Album.

Jon.

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='701203' date='Jan 5 2010, 01:01 AM']i would like to master C#[/quote]

Im glad its not just me that struggles with that one! :) Also, E major just seems weird.

2009 was a totally rubbish year for me, but now Im back on track Im going to spend 2010 doing what I want to do. As well as playing more music Im going to finish building Mertons bass, make a start on a few more and see where that takes me.

Edited by Mikey R

I want to write and record an album and play everything on it, as well as sing. Might get one or two friends to "guest" on guitar or vocals here and there, just so it does sound too samey.

That's all I really want to do, nothing else really interests me anymore musically. I've turned into a right self-centered bastard.

Gig a lot more than last year with my two new bands (only played 2 gigs last year with my previous band and I've already got about 6 gigs booked with the new ones, so that should be entirely achievable).

Get to grips with my new Shuker if it ever gets finished :)

Go back to having some bass lessons after 12 years since my last one.