Why become a member? ×

Musical goals for the year

thunderbird13

I ‘ve been reading the “Inner Game of Music “ over Christmas and I’ve got to the chapter where he’s going on about the importance of setting goals. So, bearing in mind its New Year resolution time what are your musical goals for the year. Mine would be

Try to play more than 1 gig this year
Learn to play at least 20 intermediate level classic rock songs ( prob Rush and Led Zep)

Take ear training a bit more seriously and at least be able to recognise all the single note intervals in an octave

Learn the major and minor scales, and arpeggios for the keys C to B in the circle of 5ths as these are the keys I come across the most

So what are yours ?

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='700338' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:58 AM']Now that is something that I would love to do ! - if you get round to it please do a build diary[/quote]
I'm on a budget and I'm buying in the necks so I'll be starting as soon as I've got enought for them (I think I'm £40 off at the moment, shouldn't be too long)

I want to get more work in on the fretless and introduce it more into the Dr Blue set - hoping too that the ZZ trib will continue to get more interesting and diverse work.

Most of all - with the 3 of us not getting any younger and suffering various minor aches and pains from the rigours of gigging I hope we can keep up the enthusuasm and not give in to the pain. I'll tell you it gets harder and harder to get excited about carrying speaker cabs up a frozen fire escape.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='700308' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:16 AM']Take ear training a bit more seriously and at least be able to recognise all the single note intervals in an octave

Learn the major and minor scales, and arpeggios for the keys C to B in the circle of 5ths ......[/quote]

Mine are probably close to yours. And will be of a similar vein.

Also must try to get into a band! :)

Going to get cracking on a better practice routine - rather than sitting down to practice and then playing Motown tracks for the next few hours.

Join a band. At some point I'm going to give in and go after the first band that seems vaguely appropriate. Being picky is not working out.

Buy another a new bass :) - an Esh Stinger II is the current favourite.

[quote name='Marvin' post='700417' date='Jan 4 2010, 01:25 PM']A sofa and 2 armchairs? Suit? I chucked all my waistcoats out! :) :rolleyes:

sorry couldn't resist.[/quote]

Sorry Marvin, beat you to it in my original introduction post - the old ones are the old ones...(trio sounds far to poncey)!

What a great thread. The only problem is, I have no idea. I always set goals, its how I achieve things and I was discussing this very topic with my wife over the Xmas break and I am still no better off. From 1990 to 2000, I was learning bass, got in a couple of bands, got a record deal etc. In 2000 to 2009, I lost the record deal, gave up bass, took up bass again, got married, had two kids and then got in a new band for 6 months. Now its 2010 I have no idea what I want to do or where to go. I guess maybe get into a band would be a start and a change of career but to be honest, I am not really sure :)