Why become a member? ×

Tecamp

JimGavin

Any views with anyone on how the M212 will handle a Shuttle 9.0?! Im mainly going to use the LM3, but Im thinking the Shuttle 9.0 might be on the cards soon to use with my 8 ohm cabs.

Im thinking that 900W into a 600W cab might be pushing it. I wont actually be turning it up full....but you know what Im getting at.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='642894' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:05 PM']Any views with anyone on how the M212 will handle a Shuttle 9.0?! Im mainly going to use the LM3, but Im thinking the Shuttle 9.0 might be on the cards soon to use with my 8 ohm cabs.

Im thinking that 900W into a 600W cab might be pushing it. I wont actually be turning it up full....but you know what Im getting at.[/quote]

tbh your ears should be hurting way before it starts making strange noises... which is prior to something going terminally wrong! :)

If you're not sure I'll take it off your hands and you'll even make a profit. :rolleyes:

When I got my Puma 1000 head (500 in 4 Ohm x 2 or 1000 in 8 Ohm bridged) I was thinking about getting a M212 and wasn't shure whether to get a 4 Ohm or an 8 Ohm version. i emailed the Tecamp support and received a reply the same day, from the top guy Thomas, he recommended getting the 8 Ohm version to use in bridged mode for the extra headroom. As it happened a 4 Ohm version came up for sale here from Alan (Whynot) and I bought that one. For one crazy moment last week I considered adding another 4 Ohm cab to the setup!

Can't see any problems with the Shuttle 9 tbh

[quote name='Musicman20' post='642894' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:05 PM']Any views with anyone on how the M212 will handle a Shuttle 9.0?! Im mainly going to use the LM3, but Im thinking the Shuttle 9.0 might be on the cards soon to use with my 8 ohm cabs.

Im thinking that 900W into a 600W cab might be pushing it. I wont actually be turning it up full....but you know what Im getting at.[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='642894' date='Nov 1 2009, 10:05 PM']Any views with anyone on how the M212 will handle a Shuttle 9.0?![/quote]
Never used any of the Shuttle series amps but I did own a Neo-Pak for several months on recommendation from a friend. Don't know how similar these amps are from Genz but with a lot of eq fiddling I just could not get a nice tone in combination with my Tech 4x10. Too transparent with not a lot of punch is the only way I can describe it. I just put it down to a mismatch of gear. The Shuttle 9 is probably a very different beast but thought I should mention that.
Any other amp I used with my Tech/Tecamp cabs over the years has been fine.... TC, Markbass, EBS, Warwick Quad. SWR.

Re Covers.
I ordered 2 covers for my S212 and M212 from Roqsolid (think thats the name). About £40 each and good quality. They should be listed on their site. The dimensions I gave are slightly larger than the cabs as I didn't want too tight a fit. Will be half the price of the Tecamp covers I would think.

I took advantage of the offer and bought the 2x10 Puma combo.

I have what is possibly a daft question.

This is my first high-end and loud bass amp, but I am suprised at the amount of noise it emits, especially with the controls turned up, especially the gain. To me it sounds like I am listening to a MW radio station.

I only ask this question because I saw some people had raised questions about the hiss on their units, am I seeing the same thing?

Cheers

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='642643' date='Nov 1 2009, 05:39 PM']any update on the hiss? mines the same.

i've never had an amp or rig that hasn't had some level of hiss. but playin in my room this hiss is noticable over my playing. which is a little bit worrying..[/quote]
I went back to Guitarguitar and they all do it. So I'm guessing it's a design flaw. (Or feature?) It was a lot less noticeable in the shop, because of the higher level of background noise. I'm guessing it's not going to be a problem on stage, but pretty much rules it out as a recording amp. I haven't checked whether the hiss is over the DI too, I'm hoping it's not...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='643079' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:17 AM']Is there a tweeter output knob on these?[/quote]
Not on the combos. They don't actually have a tweeter, just a woofer and a midrange driver, but neither are adjustable.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='Dubs' post='638283' date='Oct 27 2009, 06:26 PM']2 minutes after I placed my order I got a call from the Newcastle branch to thank me for the order and that it went through ok and that I should expect it to arrive on Thursday. I asked why they're so cheap and the guy said that they've basically recieved a batch load of them at really low prices and they're passing the saving onto the customer. Great service and great prices :)[/quote]

Guys,

I've finally found where all the buzz is going coming from....I [i][b]really[/b][/i] hope you don't mind me posting on this forum. After receiving a large amount of phone calls and thanks over the phone I thought I would post to say cheers for the kind comments towards my team here in the office; I'm glad we could be of service.

If any of you have [b]ANY[/b] issues or questions with any of the kit you bought from us, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] and I'll personally make sure it gets sorted.

More importantly, what is everyone's verdict and opinions on these amps? We hardly had a second to try them out before most of them all went.

Kind Regards,
Mark @ guitarguitar

good to see you on the forum! :)

the 1x12 combo i recieved is fantastic! tone to die for and lots of volume. however, the hiss is slightly annoying.. not really a big deal for £400, but if i'd have paid the £1100odd retail i think i'd be pretty miffed about it :rolleyes:

but this looks to be a product issue rather than a one-off.

Thanks again Mark!

Really happy with my Puma 350 and S212, build quality is excellent, and I can't believe how light they are. Haven't had chance to play it loud yet, but at practice volumes the tone is great, plenty of bass, nice smooth treble, can't wait to gig with it!

Anyone on BassChat bag the 6x10 then? Would love to hear a review...

@ MarkMcK - As I'd mentioned earlier in this thread - I always rated the Tech SoundSystems gear very highly and had a chance to try out most of the range Thomas' company were manufacturing. I actually preferred the look of the pre-face lifted Tec-Amp gear - but I am in no doubt that the new gear is as good if not better. I think the larger cab volume of the newer models will probably be of benefit over the Tech's slimmer cabinets.. I would love to hear an A/B of new and old world cabs as a comparison.
Thanks for putting on such a great deal, you've made a lot of bass players very happy!

Haha - good man, if I listen carefully i should be able to hear it from my place :)

Thought you might have been interested in the 115, Steve

[quote name='Flanker' post='643387' date='Nov 2 2009, 01:38 PM']I've had my Puma 500 for a good few months now and there is no noise at all from it.

By the way Dood the Tecamp L610 should arrive tomorrow!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

Somebody had to do it![/quote]

[quote name='dood' post='643295' date='Nov 2 2009, 12:15 PM']...Thanks for putting on such a great deal, you've made a lot of bass players very happy!...[/quote]
You're welcome! Every now and again we get some amazing deals in and this was one of them. It is actually really enjoyable to see the response like this from true bass players.

I've noticed a comment about buzzing, was this an isolated case? If anyone has any issues, again, please let me know.

Nah - I don't think Tecamp is really the gear for old school but the 610 should sound great with the Puma for a more modern tone.

The best old school tone for me is my BagEnd 115 and the Ashdown Evo500 head - I just love it!
As you know have been after another BagEnd for ages but they are very hard to come by. I have paired the BE with an Aggie GS112 and it sounds really good but I just know it would be better with another BagEnd 115.

I'm just loving my Skjold and the AC precision - both awesome basses!

You really have some great gear now - can't see it getting much better ?

Regards

[quote name='~tl' post='641128' date='Oct 30 2009, 02:39 PM']It's not a good idea. The minimum load for the amp is 4Ω, so using a 6Ω/4Ω cab with the 8Ω internal speakers would overload the amp (since 6Ω//8Ω = 3.4Ω or 4Ω//8Ω = 2.7Ω).[/quote]Is the Puma 212 combo a 500w or 350w version ?
Not really important if it's loud enough but would like to know.

cheers

Si

[quote name='sifi2112' post='643620' date='Nov 2 2009, 05:28 PM']Is the Puma 212 combo a 500w or 350w version ?
Not really important if it's loud enough but would like to know.

cheers

Si[/quote]
According to the Tecamp website both the 2x10 and 2x12 combos are 500W (Class D) while the 1x10 and 1x12 are 350W (Class AB).

I tried my Puma 350 tonight for the first time and no hiss for me. Could it be something affecting just the combo amps?

I could only try it at bed room practice volumes but to my ears it sounded great straight from the box. Like others I will wait until I have had it a while and tried it at practice and a gig before giving a full review. Its not looking good for my Hartke 3500 though, that can be expected in the for sale section by the middle of this week!

Edited by TenLetters

[quote name='MarkMcK' post='643431' date='Nov 2 2009, 02:30 PM']You're welcome! Every now and again we get some amazing deals in and this was one of them. It is actually really enjoyable to see the response like this from true bass players.

I've noticed a comment about buzzing, was this an isolated case? If anyone has any issues, again, please let me know.[/quote]

Thanks for such quick and reliable service Mark; its good to see that this gear was indeed brand spanking new and pristine and still in the Tecamp boxes :)

If you get anymore...or any other high end makes...please let us all know!

Gareth

[quote name='Musicman20' post='643743' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:21 PM']PS....it seems to be just the combos hissing...is it due to the small driver?[/quote]

I'm no techie type and this is just an educated guess but could the fact that the combos have the amp positioned down the back of the combo mean that the working gubbins (see not a techie :) ) of the amp are 'fairly' close to the driver magnet which being Neo magnets has a stronger magnetic field than traditional magnets, leading to increased hiss... the cabs/amps wouldn't have this issue as they are no where near as close! :rolleyes:

Just punting it out there as a suggestion.

Edited by warwickhunt