Why become a member? ×

Tecamp

JimGavin

[quote name='sifi2112' post='644947' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:19 AM']Have you guys had the same experience with the fan etc ?

cheers

Si

ps. easy lift upstairs to van ..[/quote]

The fan runs at startup and then goes off till needed...this is normal. I haven't noticed any hiss from my puma1000 and it's driving an EAnl210 at the moment, so the horn would show up hiss if it was present. There was noticable hiss on my old iamp800 thro' same speaker!
Getting an 8 ohm UL2 410 on Friday, so full 1000 watts...should be good i hope :)

Iain H

[quote name='sifi2112' post='644947' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:19 AM']Have you guys had the same experience with the fan etc ?[/quote]

Still haven't had chance to play it loud, but that's exactly how my old GK 1001RB-II was, the fan would turn on briefly after power-up, then would barely be on at all, even through a two hour practice, just came on occasionally if it was needed, and the amp was still cool at the end. I guess it's the same for these.

Hi guys,
Excellent forum! I found it after noticing the amazing tecamp deals at guitarguitar last Sunday, and trying to find out more about the brand, and work out if the deal was real!

So I thought I'd come on here and post a little more info on the Tecamp stuff since there's not much available tech details online. This is all from the smallest combo, 110.
First up, the loudspeaker is manufacturered by SICA (same as Jensen?) and appears to use the identical [s]cast alu[/s] [b]steel[/b] frame that they use in their [s]Premium Lite[/s] [b]Standard Lite[/b] range, of which there are several variants. Since Tecamp claim to use custom-designed loudspeakers then I assume it's tweaked a little bit (eg 300w Tecamp versus 250w standard power handling) but the Tecamp's own speaker designation LE10-65 indicates that it's a 65mm voicecoil, most likely based on this:
[s][url="http://www.sica.it/pdf_ftp/Z005910.pdf"]http://www.sica.it/pdf_ftp/Z005910.pdf[/url][/s]
[b] [url="http://www.sica.it/pdf_ftp/Z007811.pdf"]http://www.sica.it/pdf_ftp/Z007811.pdf[/url] [/b]

With an Fs of 57Hz and a sensitivity of 95dB I think we can take the claimed 99dB sensitivity and 38Hz frequency response of the combo with a pinch of salt, however note that there is a hi-bass/low-mid hump around 200Hz which, given the separate mid-range driver and large ports, could make the sensitivity claim at least plausible depending on crossover frequency. A brief look at the loudspeaker specs shows an Xmax of [s]5mm[/s] [b]4mm[/b] which is [b]reasonably(!)[/b] promising.

I thought that info might be useful to anyone on here who wants a matching cab to their Tecamp gear but, thanks to the excellent guitarguitar, have now acquired a piece of kit way beyond their normal budget range! Like me :) There are 12" and 15" drivers available in the same range and in 4 and 8 ohms. I also thought it'd be handy/informative as a comparison with the excellent info I've seen on here by Alexclaber in reference to his own cabs versus the fantasy claimed specs by larger manufacturers. When I get the chance I'll have a rough measure of the internal cab dimensions and run it through WinISD with that speaker to get an idea of what the cab is really capable of.

Next up the amp. In my case the 350. It is built upon the same chassis as the standalone model, and even the backplate contains the appropriate holes for (2x) speakon out, power input, FX send etc. Moving the sockets across would be therefore be very straightforward and the only thing required to convert to standalone would be a new top plate. I'm tempted to do this!

Overall cab design/build: Good-faced ply which I guess is a good indicator of it being reasonable quality. The amp is in a separate sealed cavity as is the midrange driver so no gross mistakes there although this will obviously cut down on internal volume significantly. For this reason, since the external dimensions exactly match those of the 110 standalone cab, I think the claimed 'meticulously calibrated enclosures to deliver expanded low end' could be somewhat hyperbolic. In the absence of a decent test space I'll see what WinISD says! In front of the amp cavity, the back wall is lined with acoustic 'egg-box' type foam that looks to be the proper stuff. There is no other acoustic wadding. A ply divider separating the ports doubles as cab bracing and is matched by another along the top. It sounds reasonably dead when given a rap with the knuckles, if that means anything. I don't yet know what the mid-range driver is nor the crossover frequency (couldn't see the crossover, was just poking a torch/dig cam through the generously-sized ports). Playing music through the cab reveals quite a strong mid-range (1-3k I'd guess) which to my ears sounded a little harsh but it seems to extend quite high. I think some attenuation would have been a useful feature for some apps.

I hope this info is useful to someone! I'll post more when I have explored more thoroughly, including a pic or two of some innards if anyone cares. FWIW I'd be fascinated to know some of the specs on the B&C drivers Markbass use, to see how they match up to the claimed responses of their implausibly tiny cabs - especially those 15"-ers, and also on the cab bracing. Not enough of that type of info is out there IMO.

[b] *EDITED as I realised I was wrong about the driver and I don't want people getting mislead if they do a quick search - poking around with a torch and a mirror I'd seen the magnet housing clearly which appears identical. Sorry! I've made the edits so you can see where I went wrong [/b]

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='645588' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:06 PM']a finer first post i think you will never see...

welcome to the forum Lawrence! i think you'll be made very welcome here :)

incidently, i assume from the lack of mention that you haven't had the hiss problem?[/quote]

Thanks! I am amazed at the helpfulness of people out there amongst the bass community, so I feel it's only fair to contribute something back that I wasn't able to find, since there's so much useful info out there for free.

Actually, there is some hiss. But whether it's a problem or not I can't yet say as I've not played at volume. However I noticed the hiss was additive between the two volume controls (pre and master). Since this was only noticeable from the pre when past 12 o clock I suspect that it will be more a problem with lower-output instruments as is usual in these cases. When mine arrived it was set to 12 both on pre and master. At this level the hiss is very noticeable, however I could not play at anything like that volume in my house! But if you turned it on at that level you'd definitely think something was amiss till you realised how hard you'd be driving it. I also think the accentuated midrange and extended top-end response make this noise far more noticeable than would otherwise be the case - but that's fine in reality since the musical output will be correspondingly higher - after all it's the ratio that matters. I'm sure many more amps suffer from this than is apparent simply due to running without mid/hi drivers. At least this hiss is very uniform, and I can't hear any mains hum whatsoever. I am curious about switching amp/speaker combinations with my cheap-o Ashdown EB12-150 but that's all on 1/4" jacks and I don't have the right stuff to convert at the mo. The Ashdown doesn't hiss at all (though there is a bit of hum) but then again if you run programme music through it, well there's bugger all happening above about 2k anyway!

[quote name='whynot' post='644442' date='Nov 3 2009, 03:30 PM']I think thats true of the earlier amps up to what ended as Tech Soundsystems, but the Puma line is a completely different amp to what came before and have heard nothing negative about them so far.
I still want a Puma 1000. Anyone selling ?[/quote]

I'm not sure about the Tech gear, but I understand the PUMA amps use 'Powersoft' power amplifier modules - which are very highly regarded by PA designers and enthusiasts on the internet. Having owned one of the Powersoft rack amplifers, I can vouch for it's ability and quality of sound.

[quote name='Dubs' post='643900' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:28 PM']Cheers mate :rolleyes: Guess what... that SVP is your old one :)[/quote]

Ah!!! I'd long since forgotten where it had gone! - I miss it! - I keep having second thoughts about selling the Trace V-Type Preamp too!! DOH!!!!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='645616' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:36 PM']When mine arrived it was set to 12 both on pre and master. At this level the hiss is very noticeable, however I could not play at anything like that volume in my house![/quote]
I have to admit at this point to buying one of the 110s, which arrived today and I've only had a very brief play with it.

I did manage to play it at 12 on pre and master in my house without destroying any windows but it was a close run thing. I could hear a very slight hiss (as in , I had to lay on the floor and put my ear on the grill) much to the amusement of my nearest and dearest, but I wouldn't describe it as 'very noticeable'. Given that my lugs are probably shot to bits through years of abuse, I intend to strap it to my carrier and cycle round to Dave C. at some point to see what he thinks!

I can understand why this gear has such a high RRP. It's everything I hoped it would be - with my G&L2500 I can get any tone I want, the build quality is excellent and it's clearly capable of serious volume. I'd like to try it with a Barefaced Midget at some point, but in the meantime I think my VL110 will work well as an extension cabinet.

Hey guys!

Right, I have managed to source the Tecamp covers for the cabinets. They are quite pricey, but they do have front zips and an elastic part that keeps the covers on. I think they are probably the most intensely designed covers ever made!

Now I can’t decide to get a Roqsolid one for £40 delivered or risk getting one from Germany and paying £90 + any charges it might get in the UK customs. Do we pay any duty on items coming in from Europe? It could work out at more than double the price, and in the end its going to get scuffed and marked anyway.

Opinions?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='645774' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:13 PM']Hey guys!

Right, I have managed to source the Tecamp covers for the cabinets. They are quite pricey, but they do have front zips and an elastic part that keeps the covers on. I think they are probably the most intensely designed covers ever made!

Now I can’t decide to get a Roqsolid one for £40 delivered or risk getting one from Germany and paying £90 + any charges it might get in the UK customs. Do we pay any duty on items coming in from Europe? It could work out at more than double the price, and in the end its going to get scuffed and marked anyway.

Opinions?[/quote]

nice one. if i bother i'll get the official cover i reckon, but not sure yet as its almost a third of what i paid for the amp!

certain there are no customs fees with it being EU though.

Edited by Bananaman

[quote name='Bananaman' post='645785' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:19 PM']nice one. if i bother i'll get the official cover i reckon, but not sure yet as its almost a third of what i paid for the amp!

certain there are no customs fees with it being EU though.[/quote]

Exactly...its a third of what the cab costs lol....hmmm

[quote name='pete.young' post='645765' date='Nov 4 2009, 10:05 PM']I did manage to play it at 12 on pre and master in my house without destroying any windows but it was a close run thing. I could hear a very slight hiss (as in , I had to lay on the floor and put my ear on the grill) much to the amusement of my nearest and dearest, but I wouldn't describe it as 'very noticeable'. Given that my lugs are probably shot to bits through years of abuse, I intend to strap it to my carrier and cycle round to Dave C. at some point to see what he thinks![/quote]

In which case, there is a fault with mine or else your ears ARE knackered! Mine's certainly audible from further away than the speaker grill. If I was recording I'd want to gate and/or run it through a NR filter.

I have a genuine TecAmp cover for my M212 and it's pretty damn good.

No idea what the Roqsolid covers are like but mine is really padded and has elastic tabs that get fixed around the rear feet on the cab. Front zip on both corners as well.

Recommended.

D.

Hi all,

some help required pleae :)

Thanks to the eagle eye'd OP and the amount I have learned lurking for the past while,
I decided to bag myself a bargain! (no xmas pressires for anyone this year :rolleyes:) ... so Mr Courier
arrived this morning with a Tecamp 600 head and 210 cab (the cab seems lighter than the head!) ...

anyway, excuse the newbie question but this is my first non combo setup and no matter what
combination of speakeron from head to back of cab, I am getting no sound?! ... I know the bass
is live cos it works on my existing combo. When I turn on the head is hums for a few seconds then
goes quiet and the lights are on.

I attach some pics of the rear of the boxes if it helps!

many thanks,

Allen.

Head and cab:
[attachment=35765:CIMG2699__Medium_.JPG]

Head:
[attachment=35768:CIMG2700__Medium_.JPG]

Cab:
[attachment=35767:CIMG2701__Medium_.JPG]

Could be worth speaking to guitarguitar as youappear to have connected it up correctly (I assume you have checked the speakon cable works). Just a thought , on Markbass the speakon also takes jack plugs, have you tried jacks into the middle of the speakons?

Just another thought from the photos, have the speakons turned and "clicked in"?

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='646296' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:05 PM']...Just another thought from the photos, have the speakons turned and "clicked in"?[/quote]

+1 to this comment, looks like the Speakon connectors aren't turned and locked into position. They are not making contact if this is the case.
Just turn them to the right so that the silver tab is straight up and you'll here them click into place.

Leading on from the above, can someone explain the 1- / 1+ stuff? I haven't had chance to play mine again yet, worked fine so I must have plugged it in right, but the only speakon connector I had before was with my GK rig, which had it's own speakon cable for the bi-amping so never looked into how they're wired.

[quote name='RussFM' post='646313' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:18 PM']Leading on from the above, can someone explain the 1- / 1+ stuff? I haven't had chance to play mine again yet, worked fine so I must have plugged it in right, but the only speakon connector I had before was with my GK rig, which had it's own speakon cable for the bi-amping so never looked into how they're wired.[/quote]

Inside the Speakon connectors there are terminals for the wire to be clamped into. They are labelled 1+ and 1- in the 2 pole version and 1+, 1-, 2+ and 2- in the 4 pole version.
For the setup pictured above it's saying that 1+ and 1- need to be the same core of cable at each end, i.e. the red wire will be clamped into the 1+ socket in each connector end and the black wire will be the 1- at each connector end.

Hope that makes sense?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='646325' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:33 PM']Inside the Speakon connectors there are terminals for the wire to be clamped into. They are labelled 1+ and 1- in the 2 pole version and 1+, 1-, 2+ and 2- in the 4 pole version.
For the setup pictured above it's saying that 1+ and 1- need to be the same core of cable at each end, i.e. the red wire will be clamped into the 1+ socket in each connector end and the black wire will be the 1- at each connector end.

Hope that makes sense?[/quote]

Ok, that makes sense, thanks. So what's with the "1- = -" and "1+ = +" on the cab?

[quote name='RussFM' post='646331' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:37 PM']Ok, that makes sense, thanks. So what's with the "1- = -" and "1+ = +" on the cab?[/quote]

I think that's just a way of pointing out that 1- means negative and 1+ means positive.

BTW be careful with your GK amp as they can require different connections inside the Speakon connector to work. I would suggest you PM OBBM to find out what's what on that subject as I'm not 100% on that.

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='jonthebass' post='646361' date='Nov 5 2009, 04:06 PM']I think that's just a way of pointing out that 1- means negative and 1+ means positive.

BTW be careful with your GK amp as they can require different connections inside the Speakon connector to work. I would suggest you PM OBBM to find out what's what on that subject as I'm not 100% on that.[/quote]

Not got the GK anymore unfortunately, but that was a 2-/2+ if I remember rightly.

Thanks!