Why become a member? ×

Tecamp

JimGavin

[quote name='Musicman20' post='664492' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:59 PM']Just got my Roqsolid cover....perfect fit, nice and padded inside, superb quality and great waterproof outer.

Very impressed....cannot go wrong at that price. It basically looks better than some of the more expensive covers....very well cut and cut together.

Roqsolid are very pro![/quote]

sounds good, am going to order one. i take it the cover has gaps for the handles?

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the Christmas session?
Has anyone play any good gigs with the kit yet?

Just so you all know, there is one Puma 1x12 combo that has come back into stock. There is also a 1x10 Combo and 6x10 cabinet but both are away back at Tecamp for repair (I won't be putting them up for sale until they are back).

Any questions, please let me know.

Mark

[quote name='Dubs' post='673444' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:31 PM']I'm far too loud though :rolleyes:[/quote]

Really? :lol:

I know that the 2x12 that I had was 320w or so without an ext cab but I found it surprisingly lacking in power with an energetic drummer and a couple of moderately enthusiastic guitarists; I do accept that it depends what amp/cab/combo you had previously, the style of music, type of band, volume of guitarists etc. :lol:

IMHO a bit of a R&D 'fail' when you have to add an ext cab to a combo to get the required volume; especially when combos are generally bought for their portability. To have to add an ext cab to a 2x12 lightweight combo, to achieve the required volume to do standalone gigs seems a bit daft if you ask me but again I stress this is in the circumstances that I find my self... however, I never feel as if there is any lack of volume from my present 2x12 rig! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='673468' date='Dec 3 2009, 05:51 PM']Really? :lol:

I know that the 2x12 that I had was 320w or so without an ext cab but I found it surprisingly lacking in power with an energetic drummer and a couple of moderately enthusiastic guitarists; I do accept that it depends what amp/cab/combo you had previously, the style of music, type of band, volume of guitarists etc. :rolleyes:

IMHO a bit of a R&D 'fail' when you have to add an ext cab to a combo to get the required volume; especially when combos are generally bought for their portability. To have to add an ext cab to a 2x12 lightweight combo, to achieve the required volume to do standalone gigs seems a bit daft if you ask me but again I stress this is in the circumstances that I find my self... however, I never feel as if there is any lack of volume from my present 2x12 rig! :)[/quote]

Well I'm using the 410L 4x10 with an Ampeg SVP-Pro going through a QSC RMX1450 which is kicking out 1.4kW bridged; never had the master volume above the 2nd notch on the power amp and our drummer is LOUD! The sound guy asked me to turn down this weekend as well. I've got a massive amount of headroom and plenty left in the tank from the power amp.

Maybe it's the amp in the combo that's the issue?

[quote name='Dubs' post='673512' date='Dec 3 2009, 06:32 PM']Well I'm using the 410L 4x10 with an Ampeg SVP-Pro going through a QSC RMX1450 which is kicking out 1.4kW bridged; never had the master volume above the 2nd notch on the power amp and our drummer is LOUD! The sound guy asked me to turn down this weekend as well. I've got a massive amount of headroom and plenty left in the tank from the power amp.

Maybe it's the amp in the combo that's the issue?[/quote]

Ah! I was comparing apples and oranges.

I didn't realise that you were just using a Tecamp cab (not a combo or Teacamp amp), with a big power-amp. I agree the cabs can handle masses of output; I had the 6x10xt a year or two ago and it wasn't even breaking into a moderate sweat unless you chucked some serious watts through it.

[quote name='MarkMcK' post='673198' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:59 PM']I hope everyone is well and enjoying the Christmas session?
Has anyone play any good gigs with the kit yet?[/quote]

I've got a gig at the Rowantree tonight, and i'm taking the puma head and the M210 only. I hope i'm loud enough for the room...
Will let you know tomorrow

Used my Puma 250 and S212 at a gig for the first time last weekend, no volume problems, only turned up slightly more than I do at practice, wasn't getting anything back from the monitors and I could hear myself better than I have in a long time!! Very happy with it!! :)

[quote name='razze06' post='673930' date='Dec 4 2009, 09:23 AM']I've got a gig at the Rowantree tonight, and i'm taking the puma head and the M210 only. I hope i'm loud enough for the room...
Will let you know tomorrow[/quote]

So I'm quite happy with the results. The venue is a kind of vaulted ceiling mid-sized pub, long and relatively narow, with plenty of nooks and crannies. Compared to other places, acoustic of the room is ok, not much reverberation but not flat either.
I never had to push the rig hard at all. The volume knob never went past 1 o'clock, with just a touch of gain. The T-40 i used has got more attack, bite an snarl than you may possibly ever need, so the mids knobs stayed pretty flat to avoid excessive harshness. I found that I had to push the lows knob all the way to retain fullness of sound, but that's to be expected and frankly acceptable, given the type of cab.
Oh and at the end of the gig i just put the head and leads in my backpack, bass in one hand, cab in the other and I walked to the taxi rank :) Quite a departure from a carload of cabs and heads and things.
The only criticism i have is that the cab handles are quite uncomfortable. They look neat, as they don't stick out or anything, but they make one handed carries a little unconfortable over anything more than 20 yards.
So I am very happy with my purchase, so much so that I'm selling off much of the rest of my amplification.
[attachment=37720:04122009150.jpg] [attachment=37721:04122009149.jpg]

I used my Puma 110 combo for a gig on Thursday night (The Bull, Colchester for anyone who knows it), with an EA VL110 as an extension cab. Tried to take a picture but my crappy cameraphone failed to do a decent job.

Band is a 5-piece covers band with a reasonably enthusiatic drummer. We weren't massively loud and the Tecamp had plenty of power with some in reserve. The second cab makes a big difference to the lower frequencies and gave me a nice full rounded sound. Modern kit is amazing!

Also, been doing a bit of investigating into the hiss problem that myself (and seemingly some others) have been experiencing with the 110 and 112 combos. Had the back off today for a wee look. It's nicely put together all in all, with tidy wiring, etc. As someone has already pointed out, the chassis is identical to the heads and has cut-outs (and even silkscreen) for the ports on the back. Therefore it shouldn't be too hard to adapt to a removable head, if anyone wanted to put the effort in (you'd need a lid for the case, but that's about it). The only problem I could see would be accessing the connections on the back (bottom) when it's in the combo, because there's not a lot of space below the amp. A project for another time maybe?

Anyhoo... the Puma 350 uses a [url="http://pro-audio.powersoft.it/an_series_list.php?use_in=63&id_menu=213&obj=9"]Powersoft PowerMod II Bi[/url] amplifier module with Tecamp's preamp board. Interestingly, it's a bi-amp module with an unused 65W (4Ω) section along side the main 350W (4Ω) section. My best guess is that the Puma 500 uses a [url="http://pro-audio.powersoft.it/product_list.php?id_menu=213&obj=79"]PowerSoft DigiMod 500[/url], although I cannot confirm this.

As for the hiss, I haven't had time to poke about with a scope (and likely won't until the new year) but the problem is the pre-amp rather than the power-amp module. Plugging something directly in to the effects return on the back of the amp cuts out the hiss entirely. You still get a little when the volume is maxed (obviously) but it's no where near as obnoxious as the level from the pre-amp, which is very evident above 9 o'clock on the master control. As you'd expect, the master volume and mute switch still work in this configuration... so until I get a chance to have a further look I'm going to be using this with an external pre-amp as a powered cabinet. For the price I paid, it's still pretty much a bargain in this role. But having to carry around a pre-amp as well is a bit of a pain.

Tecamp's pre-amp is run from the auxiliary power lines on the Powersoft module. However, on the 350W module these lines are unregulated. As I say, I haven't had time to investigate the design of the pre-amp design further, but my current hunch is that the regulation of the power supply in the pre-amp isn't up to scratch and hence this is introducing noise in to the system. This would also explain why only the 350W combos seem to be affected (since the 500W Powersoft module has built in regulation on the aux. lines).

Anyway, I'll report back when I get a chance to have more of a poke around.

Edited by ~tl

Wow, I didn't realise it was so popular , (Tecamp).

I'm a Tecamp user, a 212, but I'm thinking of selling to get a cabinet with 10s.

I'm suitably annoyed about the low prices though, I got mine from Rosetti direct about 3-4 months back and it wasnt as low as that :)

I'm probably going to put it up for sale at some point in the bit below, so take a look.

James

Edited by James.2112

~tl,

once my other amp was back from a service i was going to send my combo back for them to have a look at, though think i may hold on and see how you get on with your investigations in the new year.

also, i know the amp shouldn't run at 2ohm, but adding a 4ohm cab would run it at 3something yes? to dangerous to risk trying this or not do you think?

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='684460' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:37 PM']:blush:

Guess I should have read every post . . .

Beautiful rig, Dubs.

How's it all hooked up? Is the power amp bridged?

Mark[/quote]

Ta very much :) The power amp is bridged to give 1.4KW @ 4ohms :rolleyes: - never had the volume on the amp above the 2nd notch. It's a properly loud piece of kit, and the tone is incredible. The set-up is an Ampeg SVP-Pro into a bridged QSC RMX1450 power amp, then into the L410. It's a very heavy rack though so I'm considering looking for something lighter in the new year, but I'll definitely hold onto the L410.

No such thing as a light power amp . . . :)

Our PA rack is heavy - 1 x JBL MPA750 (25kg), 2 x Yamaha P5000S (12kg each), plus some other lighter units, but suffice it to say that at nearly 60kg, it's [b]HEAVY[/b].

12kg is probly as light as power amps go, and the P5000S that we use is a great amp - never gets hot & dead reliable. Check one out.

Mark