Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, 10th October 2009

silverfoxnik

Well done silverfoxnik et al for organising today's bash. Good to see a few familiar faces and try out some great gear.

I arrived not wanting anything...and left thinking about getting one of Alex's Barefaced cabs. Damn you Basschat! :)

Enjoyed playing the Wals and Clarky's Shuker P Bass...

...and the drum kit!

Good work.

Yup - huge thanks to all the organisers for such a fantastically rewarding day. Nice to put names to faces and chat. Also answered lots of questions I had regarding various bits of kit that look interesting but the only way to know for sure is to look/have a go.

And thank you, particularly, Jakebass and Bassace, for showing me round those awesome double basses. I need to do some serious thinking - more than I realised.

[quote name='NickThomas' post='622587' date='Oct 10 2009, 06:43 PM']Looking forward to seeing the photo thread :)[/quote]
Ditto!
And big thanks to Silverfoxnik for arranging it. Excellent venue and good talks from jakesbass, AC and bassace. Well worth the 150 mile round trip!
Might've given a couple of people Streamline GAS.
Thanks too to HappyJack for a lengthy blast on the Prosebass...

What a fantastic day.
Thanks to all that organised it,Jakebass,Alexcaber,Ped and Bassace for the workshops.
Lots of info garnered there.
GAS for a double bass now,god where can I put one?
Got to be one of the best raffles ever.Everybody got something and some of us got two somethings.
Once again THANKS GUYS you done a great job and not forgetting Mrs Hamster as well.

Great day guys, thanks to all who were involved in organisation.

I particularly enjoyed Jake's workshop, but Ped, Alex and Roger were great too. Also, a special thanks to Jake for his personal tips on my dodgy upright (in)abilities.

My favourite basses were Clarky's Shuker P (very nice neck) and eshears's Lakland DPLE2 (nice everything).

See you soon.

[quote name='silddx' post='622672' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:46 PM']Absolutely wickid day! Wonderful meeting so many cool people. There was some seriously high end kit there as well as HappyJack's £75 Kay, which was the surprise of the day for me, a great bass! Silverfoxnik, Merton, Hamster, Mrs Hamster (she's totally lovely :)), Ped, Happy Jack, thanks so much for sorting it. Brilliantly organised! The talks and demos from Jakesbass, Alex Claber (sorry I didn't catch all of it mate), Ped and Bassace were REALLY interesting and useful. Thanks to Paul and Oli on the drums, thanks for the jam! I've come over all cuddly :lol:

Cheers all !!

A few pics quickly uploaded ..[/quote]

Did anyone catch Bassace's license plate? Fricken amazing!

Interesting day. No Mesa 400's, or Ampegs. Shame because thats what i really wanted to try out! Was a bit dissapointed by the Hartkes. Bassfaced cabs were very good and light, Though i probably wouldnt use them with a 5 string as i felt they lacked the extreme lows that i would need. But great punchy cabs!

I WAS impressed with the Eden World Tour amps. I am seriously considering getting hold of one now.

Best basses of the bash were. Peds Vigiers. The Wal Pro 1. The Gibson SGZ.

I feel guilty about bringing my pedullas in such poor nick. Didnt have enough time from practice last night to clean then up and set them up for your average bass player!

Great to see all of you. Absoloutely knackered now......Great raffle too........ :rolleyes:

[quote name='silddx' post='622672' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:46 PM']... as well as HappyJack's £75 Kay, which was the surprise of the day for me, a great bass![/quote]

Oops! That Kay belonged to Silverfoxnik, not me. :rolleyes:

Bloody good value at that price, and I was amazed no one bought it.

Paul (the drummer) and I had a great time today, met some really nice people, heard some very interesting stuff.

In trading terms, it was a failure - I sold a guitar strap and bought a Barefaced Midget! :)

Not sure I've really got the hang of this buying/selling lark, y'know.

Bugger, the flatwounds that was on the charity table that i threw a few quid in the pot for were actually used roundwounds in a flats box! Doh! Should have realised but i hadnt even played flatwounds til i played on Hamsters P bass today. Ah well its all for charideeeeee :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='622685' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:07 PM']Bugger, the flatwounds that was on the charity table that i threw a few quid in the pot for were actually used roundwounds in a flats box! Doh! Should have realised but i hadnt even played flatwounds til i played on Hamsters P bass today. Ah well its all for charideeeeee :)[/quote]
Tell me about it! The DR Black Beauties box I picked up contained only a shriveled piece of orange peel and a bluebottle with an eye missing.

After a very quick count up, we've made at the moment [size=6]£415[/size] for charity! - Thank you all so much for being so generous!

There are still a few things to sell so the amount will go up a bit more. There are also some raffle prizes to sort out/send out to those who either couldn't make it or had to go early - I'll send PM's after I've had my fill of cold cold lager - so sometime in late November then! :)

Just got home, a bit knackered. But thanks to all who organised the gig, it was a great day. Jakes workshop was great and did you notice the cunning way I got him involved in mine to save me getting totally upstaged. After Alex's my head hurt a bit but I'm sure I understood most of it, I'll just have to re-read the graphs you see on the pic. If I name names I'm bound to miss someone out so just thanks to Sarah for providing great eats at Life on Mars prices. That means they were very good value, for the hard of hearing. Hope Colin can get the venue for next year because it was just great for our purposes. Just leave my photos out - please! Albert Steptoe lives.