Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, 10th October 2009

silverfoxnik

[quote name='alexclaber' post='623142' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:50 PM']Hey, and I learned something useful about myself yesterday - just as I'm great at remembering faces but a bit sketchy at names, I'm really good at remembering avatars but not usernames (especially if they're somewhat random). So could all those whose username is unrelated to their name or their avatar to their face, please print out a picture of their avatar and wear it as a facemask at future bashes. Thank you.

Alex[/quote]

Aha! Good tip Alex. We'll do that for ours.

With te "two pups the same = midscoop" thing can you talk about P-J configurations and also how to avoid a midscoop? Is there a trick that can be used?
Thanks

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='623223' date='Oct 11 2009, 04:50 PM']Seriously mate it's all good.

How awesome was that gig last night? every band was on top form, you guy sounded great I hope we kept the level up, always hard to tell when you're on stage.[/quote]

It was the most amazing gig ive been to for a long time.

Was disappointed with the tone from that ampeg 810 though.

[quote name='Crikey!' post='623304' date='Oct 11 2009, 06:37 PM']It was the most amazing gig ive been to for a long time.

Was disappointed with the tone from that ampeg 810 though.[/quote]

Yeah but Vic made you sound really good through the PA, I think my Jazz was incredible last night.

Your Stingray sounds so much better than your G&L did.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='623118' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:29 PM']When you mix a bridge and neck pickup equally, the resulting tone is not an average of the two - i.e. adding the neck pickup doesn't simply add lows to the bridge pickup, and vice versa. What actually happens is a load of addition AND cancellation due to differing phase (like with the bigger aperture pickups). If you take a bass with a couple of jazz pickups, the most natural tone (i.e. similar to the acoustic tone) will be with just the neck pickup. The bridge pickup gives a more trebly, more high-midrangey and bottom-shy representation. But blend the two pickups equally and the resulting tone is more like the neck pickup sound but with some extra treble added (as you'd expect)* BUT ALSO a load of midrange cut out. Yes, two jazz pickups on full gives you a scooped tone!

The further apart the pickups the bigger the midrange scoop, and the closer their midpoint is to the bridge, the higher in frequency that that scoop is centered. Have a close listen next time you have a two pickup bass plugged in and you'll see what I mean. As I said at the time, how and where you pluck has the most significant effect on your tone but if you're needing to punch through the mix yet you're running two similar pickups up full then you're removing a lot of critical midrange - so instead of twisting EQ, back off one of those pickups and reclaim some punch.[/quote]

Which explains why I like the basses I do. The common factor in all of miy favourites is the close proximity of the pick-ups to each other (Vigier Passion, for example)
None of my blend controls are centred! I usually favour a bit more bridge pick-up and EQ in a bit of bottom end. I wouldn't like to try and predict the permutations that differing styles of pick-up offer! (P/J, J/JJ, J/MM, P/MM etc)

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='622636' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:01 PM']Great day guys, thanks to all who were involved in organisation.

I particularly enjoyed Jake's workshop, but Ped, Alex and Roger were great too. Also, a special thanks to Jake for his personal tips on my dodgy upright (in)abilities.

My favourite basses were Clarky's Shuker P (very nice neck) and eshears's Lakland DPLE2 (nice everything).

See you soon.[/quote]

Thanks Dave...and your Decade was definitely one of my favs...

[quote name='51m0n' post='622784' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:20 PM']Was hoping to allay my Discombobulator gas only to have it fired up to truly scary proportions, and completely new and previously unknown GAS for a Deep Impact now (doh!)[/quote]

You're welcome! :)

Edited by eshears

As we're into the game of saying which basses we liked the most, I really liked Essential Tension (Dave's) Tony Franklin fretless, a real thing of beauty, and SilverDoxNik's BC Rich, which is so in-your-face rock!

PS, I have been a bit protective about gigging my Shuker JJB (as its my most expensive bass by a long way) but - spurred by the nice comments I got yesterday - I used it at a gig earlier this evening. It is SO easy to play (the neck profile is fab) that I f*cked up much less than I usually do - and dare I say it, almost played quite well! I should use it more often, rather than keep it in its case and lick it occasionally :-)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='623599' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:10 PM']As we're into the game of saying which basses we liked the most, I really liked Essential Tension (Dave's) Tony Franklin fretless, a real thing of beauty, and SilverDoxNik's BC Rich, which is so in-your-face rock!

PS, I have been a bit protective about gigging my Shuker JJB (as its my most expensive bass by a long way) but - spurred by the nice comments I got yesterday - I used it at a gig earlier this evening. It is SO easy to play (the neck profile is fab) that I f*cked up much less than I usually do - and dare I say it, almost played quite well! I should use it more often, rather than keep it in its case and lick it occasionally :-)[/quote]
I really did like that Shuker chunky neck which is unusual for me, I usually like something skinny and rosewood.

And thanks on the TF, and thanks to WoT for making the mistake of selling it to me.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='623607' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:25 PM']I really did like that Shuker chunky neck which is unusual for me, I usually like something skinny and rosewood.

And thanks on the TF, and thanks to WoT for making the mistake of selling it to me.[/quote]

Oh the TF was yours, I was wondering what your stuff was doing away from everyone elses, Had a good 15 minutes bash on the TF. Man that bass sings!

[quote name='bassace' post='622729' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:52 PM']Just got home, a bit knackered. But thanks to all who organised the gig, it was a great day. Jakes workshop was great and did you notice the cunning way I got him involved in mine to save me getting totally upstaged.[/quote]
Roger, you're too humble... the history that resides in your fingers is enough to make your thoughts interesting to the uninitiated. I'm sure that like me you felt quite nervous standing up there in front of 20 or so bass players and saying 'this is how to do it', and I've got years of teaching experience! On a gig you settle into the groove and off you go, very different to having the cold light of day and eager eyes watching your every move. It was great of you to bring those nice basses and let everybody get their paws on them. Me included.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Clarky' post='623599' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:10 PM']As we're into the game of saying which basses we liked the most, I really liked Essential Tension (Dave's) Tony Franklin fretless, a real thing of beauty, and SilverDoxNik's BC Rich, which is so in-your-face rock!

PS, I have been a bit protective about gigging my Shuker JJB (as its my most expensive bass by a long way) but - spurred by the nice comments I got yesterday - I used it at a gig earlier this evening. It is SO easy to play (the neck profile is fab) that I f*cked up much less than I usually do - and dare I say it, almost played quite well! I should use it more often, rather than keep it in its case and lick it occasionally :-)[/quote]
Remind me where you got the bass protector from, make etc. Seemed like a good thing and I came away meaning to check it out but promptly forgot anything about it in the chat in the boogie bus on the way home.

Interesting to play your Shuker and try the flatwounds, an experience not had for a looooooooooooooooong time now.

Bass of the day for me was Captain Rumbles Pro1. Should have had it at his "howsabout" price but that really wouldn't have been right. My mortgage fund is looking a little shaky at the mo :) but I really mustn't

Howdy All

Glad I made it! Long trip down from Cambridge, but well worth it. Got the pedals I've been after (Thanks Silddx!!) - used them yesterday morning in anger, and was seriously impressed with the Para Driver (sorted!)

Also thanks to Alex and the rest of the guys for the demos and workshops, and to Nik + Hamster for the organisation of the event.

Was impressed with the sound of my GK head into the Compact - had lots of comments about that.

Anyway, looking forward to the next one (and maybe one in East Anglia for all those 'norf of da rivva')

Chilled day out

See you all soon, Ian

[quote name='WalMan' post='623804' date='Oct 12 2009, 10:29 AM']Remind me where you got the bass protector from, make etc. Seemed like a good thing and I came away meaning to check it out but promptly forgot anything about it in the chat in the boogie bus on the way home.[/quote]

Hey Walman, good to meet you. The protector on the back of all of my basses is called a ScratchPad. I wrote these up in a thread on the forum [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58475&hl=Clarky"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...5&hl=Clarky[/url]

They are available from Thomann or, most cheaply, on eBay (best search string is ScratchPad guitar protector, I think)

[quote name='Bottle' post='623839' date='Oct 12 2009, 11:06 AM']Howdy All

Glad I made it! Long trip down from Cambridge, but well worth it. Got the pedals I've been after (Thanks Silddx!!) - used them yesterday morning in anger, and was seriously impressed with the Para Driver (sorted!)

Also thanks to Alex and the rest of the guys for the demos and workshops, and to Nik + Hamster for the organisation of the event.

Was impressed with the sound of my GK head into the Compact - had lots of comments about that.

Anyway, looking forward to the next one (and maybe one in East Anglia for all those 'norf of da rivva')

Chilled day out

See you all soon, Ian[/quote]
Hello mate, it was lovely to meet you, and so glad you're enjoying the pedals!

[quote name='51m0n' post='622784' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:20 PM']The talks were super informative, particularly enjoyed Jakes (damn that's a wicked bass mate!),[/quote]
Thanks mate

[quote name='51m0n' post='622784' date='Oct 10 2009, 11:20 PM']just have to work out how to make my ears as golden as yours now: seriously chaps he worked out a nice motowny b-line off a CD that he'd never heard before just hearing it once and played it straight back,he didn't show this party trick to you lot but I had to go and get a plaster for me chin!
Si[/quote]

Damn I knew I forgot something important!! well next time. There's loads more info where that lot came from. It's quite tough to pitch it to so many people because there is a wide variety of standard.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='623219' date='Oct 11 2009, 04:44 PM']EDIT: Forgot the real highlight of the weekend - meeting two thirds of the MertGang(tm), Nic and Theo. Hopefully next time I'll get to meet Sophie as well. Dude, excelent family! :)[/quote]
Cheers buddy! Sorry for the fraught Firday night and for Theo almost vomitting in your shoes :rolleyes:

[quote name='alexclaber' post='623118' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:29 PM']When you mix a bridge and neck pickup equally, the resulting tone is not an average of the two - i.e. adding the neck pickup doesn't simply add lows to the bridge pickup, and vice versa. What actually happens is a load of addition AND cancellation due to differing phase (like with the bigger aperture pickups). If you take a bass with a couple of jazz pickups, the most natural tone (i.e. similar to the acoustic tone) will be with just the neck pickup. The bridge pickup gives a more trebly, more high-midrangey and bottom-shy representation. But blend the two pickups equally and the resulting tone is more like the neck pickup sound but with some extra treble added (as you'd expect)* BUT ALSO a load of midrange cut out. Yes, two jazz pickups on full gives you a scooped tone!

The further apart the pickups the bigger the midrange scoop, and the closer their midpoint is to the bridge, the higher in frequency that that scoop is centered. Have a close listen next time you have a two pickup bass plugged in and you'll see what I mean. As I said at the time, how and where you pluck has the most significant effect on your tone but if you're needing to punch through the mix yet you're running two similar pickups up full then you're removing a lot of critical midrange - so instead of twisting EQ, back off one of those pickups and reclaim some punch.[/quote]
Does this still apply if the pickups are wired in series?

[quote name='Ray' post='623908' date='Oct 12 2009, 12:58 PM']Does this still apply if the pickups are wired in series?[/quote]

I would think so, its as a result of the pickup position along the string, and the way the two sources are out of phase with each other as a result of this position. Nothing to do with how the pickups a wired up electronically.