Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, 10th October 2009

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Clarky' post='622722' date='Oct 10 2009, 09:44 PM']For Silverfoxnik: Here is a Youtube link with Tom Araya of Slayer playing the same model as your ultra-beefy BC Rich!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGTumTl9NfA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGTumTl9NfA[/url][/quote]
Thanks Clarky! That's a BC Rich but a different model.. same p/up config though..

Wow - what a brilliant day! Took a load of photos so will post them up tomorrow.. Personal highlights on the gear front were:

Jake's Alembic
Clarky's Shuker P-bass
Silddx's 2 Warwicks
Boo's short-scale Sx Jazz
ped's V-Bass

But there were loads of other great basses and rigs too!

Got to say thanks to Jake, Alex, Ped & Roger for their brilliant workshops.. Happy Jack for the idea for the Quiet Room which he really put a lot of thought and effort into all day.. And similarly, his idea for the Jamming Room which Paul the drummer (who was brilliant!) sorted out for us totally. Also, Oli who did drums for ped's V-Bass workshop!

Must also thank Hamster & Mrs Hamster for arranging the venue which was great, and the refreshments.. And WalMan, Johnny and Merton for taking care of loads of things, including the Raffle!

And though he wasn't able to make it today, a big thanks to OBBM who helped out a lot behind the scenes.. Dave; it was great but it would have been even better if you were there!!

Thanks to all of you, really really enjoyed putting names to faces, spending a day getting my ears battered by a superb array of basses and amps. Best thing in that department though is that for me, my favourite bass there was mine, and my favourite rig was.... ...mine (woooot! GAS-less on the bass and amp front still, result!!)

Was hoping to allay my Discombobulator gas only to have it fired up to truly scary proportions, and completely new and previously unknown GAS for a Deep Impact now (doh!)

The talks were super informative, particularly enjoyed Jakes (damn that's a wicked bass mate!), just have to work out how to make my ears as golden as yours now: seriously chaps he worked out a nice motowny b-line off a CD that he'd never heard before just hearing it once and played it straight back,he didnt show this party trick to you lot but I had to go and get a plaster for me chin!

Thanks to all of you for putting up with Plux and me making the most of an opportunity to be proper noisy together - must have been dreadful for you all!

Cant wait to see you all again next year.

Si

Top day all round and many, many thanks to all involved, particularly Nik & Colin for all their hard organisational work and all those who presented workshops - you know who you are. Special thanks again to Nik, for driving the Magic bus up from the south coast.

My personal gear highlights were -

Nik's BC Rich
David St Hubbins' JJB Precision
Boo's 30" SX Jazz
Dave C's Gibson SGZ
& yet again, Stingrayfan's G&L

It was also nice to try out the Digitech BSW I recently acquired, as I am currently ampless!

Most thanks however, must go to Mrs. Lager, who foolishly let me go to the Bash, despite moving house on Friday afternoon. I think I may have to get her some chocolates or flowers or something. Unless she settles for the mic I won...

Just like to add my thanks and appreciation for what was a great day of much bass-related stuff.
And well done to all for the amount raised for charidee!
Thanks to all those who organised and put things in place and gave demo's and talks.
Not forgetting Mrs Hamster for tea and buns ! :)
Hope to make it again next year.
Cheers!!

Many thanks to Silverfoxnik, Merton, Hamster, WalMan, Obbm and Johhnylager for organising today's bash. Get well soon Dave.

The guys had brought some very fine basses and amps but fortunately I came away preferring mine. Unfortunately, I'm looking at making room for a couple of Compacts!! I would say that I can now put faces to names, but I forgot my glasses so sorry the faces remain mostly nameless! Anyway, nice to meet you all.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='622972' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:36 AM']It was really great to meet a lot of like minded individuals, thanks for all the kind words, I had a blast.[/quote]
me too, and thanks for the double-bass lesson :)

I was happy that everyone who played my Shuker seemed to like it - even if I have got the ramp set a bit high :lol:

Thanks from me to Happy Jack for the chauffeuring (and for bringing Paul the drummer) I owe you a beer or 2.

The only bad thing about the day for me was that it went so quickly. So kudos to the organising committee and here's to the next one! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Captain Rumble' post='622638' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:05 PM']Great shame dude was a great day if you still want that graphics card pm me your addy and I'll post it.[/quote]

Cheers mate, it really sucks I was quite looking forward to it but couldn't risk being stuck at the side of the M25, just not worth the risk.

Made up for it a bit last night with a barn-storming gig.

Just adding my thanks to all those people who`s efforts made a great day for everyone.Without them ,these events would not happen.So congratulations on providing a wonderful day.I personally met some really great people , heard some great rigs , got to see other people`s beautiful basses and learnt loads.

Can`t wait for the next one!!!!!!!

A great day, so thanks to Hamster and Silverfoxnik for doing the organising (I just poked my nose in and "sort of" did the raffle :lol: )

Great venue Colin, let's have it next year too :)

Highlight of the day for me was realising quite how utterly in love with my gear I am, despite all the GAS :rolleyes:

That was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday !

Top day , Top People , Top Bassiness and Top organising !

Many thanks to everyone involved in organising and arranging

I even saw a Warwick i liked ...oh and a Sweet P bass , and a wal and a pedulla and vigier and blimey ....the list is endless ..and some great demos and general bass chit chat and were those barefaced cabs loaded ?? lighter than a lightened feather wow !

Many Thanks

Wheres the next one ?? oh yeah ! :)

Gary
v8
Recommending a Bass bash every week in every town

A few things I've remembered: Firstly, I now realise I only hung out in two places and I believe there was a third location AND I saw some bits of drums being carried out at the end - the horror, did I miss a chance to make some more organised noise in the jamming room?!! :)

Secondly, despite rambling on for an hour and half with barely a word on speakers, I still managed to miss out a couple of key points - the perils of illegible notes... So here they are:

1. Silence is good. Use rests and longer drop-outs to add interest, work the dynamics, chance the feel, and add impact to a bassline. A great place to to try dropping out is on the first half of the final verse of a song - really lets you pump the second half of the verse and drive into the final chorus with maximum energy. If you rarely/never drop-out with your current band it will take some retraining to get them to carry out grooving without your support - and in the process if they don't already appreciate your groovacious workings then they soon will!

2. I spoke about how pickups colour tone and then out their position affects how bassy/trebley they are. What I failed to mention was how their aperture affects the tone - the wider the aperture the thicker the midrange but the duller the treble (due to higher overtones cancelling but less high ones adding). And then the bigger and more important point for which I'll start another paragraph:

When you mix a bridge and neck pickup equally, the resulting tone is not an average of the two - i.e. adding the neck pickup doesn't simply add lows to the bridge pickup, and vice versa. What actually happens is a load of addition AND cancellation due to differing phase (like with the bigger aperture pickups). If you take a bass with a couple of jazz pickups, the most natural tone (i.e. similar to the acoustic tone) will be with just the neck pickup. The bridge pickup gives a more trebly, more high-midrangey and bottom-shy representation. But blend the two pickups equally and the resulting tone is more like the neck pickup sound but with some extra treble added (as you'd expect)* BUT ALSO a load of midrange cut out. Yes, two jazz pickups on full gives you a scooped tone!

The further apart the pickups the bigger the midrange scoop, and the closer their midpoint is to the bridge, the higher in frequency that that scoop is centered. Have a close listen next time you have a two pickup bass plugged in and you'll see what I mean. As I said at the time, how and where you pluck has the most significant effect on your tone but if you're needing to punch through the mix yet you're running two similar pickups up full then you're removing a lot of critical midrange - so instead of twisting EQ, back off one of those pickups and reclaim some punch.

Alex

P.S. For those that didn't consider coming along, do it, it's far too much fun having so many different facets of bassness and likeminded yet disparate fellow groovers all in one place on one day - come along next time! And for those that wanted to come but didn't manage to make it, honestly it was rubbish, I'm sure you had more fun wherever you were... :rolleyes:

* Oversimplification.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='622675' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:51 PM']-Bassfaced [sic] cabs were very good and light, Though i probably wouldnt use them with a 5 string as i felt they lacked the extreme lows that i would need. But great punchy cabs![/quote]

Most of the Barefaced cabs were on the stage away from the wall so the extreme lows they can produce would not overwhelm everything! Though I think Chris and I succeeded when comparing the Shuttle 6.0, Thunderfunk 550 and Avalon U5/PLX3002 into a pair of Compacts - LOUD!!! :)

Alex

[quote name='jakesbass' post='622972' date='Oct 11 2009, 11:36 AM']It was really great to meet a lot of like minded individuals, thanks for all the kind words, I had a blast.[/quote]

Very inspiring Jake, thanks! I now have a blister on my thumb from trying to walk through So What and get a vaguely double bass sound...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='623118' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:29 PM']But blend the two pickups equally and the resulting tone is more like the neck pickup sound but with some extra treble added (as you'd expect)* BUT ALSO a load of midrange cut out. Yes, two jazz pickups on full gives you a scooped tone![/quote]

Brilliant Alex! This explains why my double P Precision becomes a slap monster when I add the bridge p/up.

Hey, and I learned something useful about myself yesterday - just as I'm great at remembering faces but a bit sketchy at names, I'm really good at remembering avatars but not usernames (especially if they're somewhat random). So could all those whose username is unrelated to their name or their avatar to their face, please print out a picture of their avatar and wear it as a facemask at future bashes. Thank you.

Alex

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='622402' date='Oct 10 2009, 01:09 PM']The van has broken down, it's been fixed but too late for me :) f***ing gutted.[/quote]

My fault. I put petrol in the van.

Really wish i could have gone, but cheers to wayne for the help fixing the van

had a good gig later on... good day in the end anyway.

Thanks to everyone for a great day! Loads of great basses and rigs.

The highlights for me were playing through 51mons compressor, playing through some very nice valves (Mert, Plux and there was another valve amp but I cant remember whos :)), and Jakes talk - really inspiring stuff!

Extra thanks to Mrs Hamster for the tea and buns and Happy Jack for the gig bag to get my five string home!

EDIT: Forgot the real highlight of the weekend - meeting two thirds of the MertGang(tm), Nic and Theo. Hopefully next time I'll get to meet Sophie as well. Dude, excelent family! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Crikey!' post='623187' date='Oct 11 2009, 03:48 PM']My fault. I put petrol in the van.

Really wish i could have gone, but cheers to wayne for the help fixing the van

had a good gig later on... good day in the end anyway.[/quote]

Seriously mate it's all good.

How awesome was that gig last night? every band was on top form, you guy sounded great I hope we kept the level up, always hard to tell when you're on stage.