Why become a member? ×

Best Plectrums (Picks)

Alien EB3 Glow-in-darks for me (in medium). Very flexible, so excellent for playing fast without choking on strings. I get 'em from Stringsdirect at 50p a pop [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/299-alien_ebe_glow_in_the_dark_guitar_picks_medium_heavy_"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/29...s_medium_heavy_[/url]

[attachment=28266:alien.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

I use a Fender triangle Bx3 "Stuart Hamm" pick. It's not thin a flappy, nor is it too thick and chunky. Incidentally, it was given to me by Stuart when I saw him live with Joe Satriani (since I was stood in the front row right in front of Stuart - what a show). I only use it for use in the house though since I'm too scared of losing my idol's pick, especially since he played "Flying in a blue dream" with it!

Outside of my bedroom I use a Fender traingle pick which feels roughly the same. I need to buy some more!

I'm getting more and more into my pick playing these days. I blame Tony Butler and Big Country for that!

When I use a pick, it's a Dunlop 1mm black nylon.
I sometimes use a thick brass one, gets a really gritty sound as it scrapes on the string windings -- it's like a hand-held overdrive pedal :)

On the rare occasion I use them on bass I use the Dunlop purple ones, the delrin 1.5mm, or I use a brass Ice-Pix, which does sound quite nice.

For guitar I'm liking the Dunlop 1mm Tortex ones in light blue, tried the orange but they're a little too thin for me.

Edited by Buzz

Herco Flex 75s.

Very difficult to get hold of in the UK at the moment for some reason. They are on the Jim Dunlop USA web site, but the UK distributor of Jim Dunlop doesn't carry them. Special order took months so it's just as well I now have 200 minus however many I've managed to lose so far!

I bought a few of these from a random shop and probably get on better with them than most.

They're from Plectro and I use a "Thick bass" version (has the point - like the dark blue one above) which is black. The hole means I seem to lose my grip etc. on them a bit less easily than others I had (keep losing plecs).

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Rich' post='532800' date='Jul 5 2009, 10:12 AM']When I use a pick, it's a Dunlop 1mm black nylon.
I sometimes use a thick brass one, gets a really gritty sound as it scrapes on the string windings -- it's like a hand-held overdrive pedal :rolleyes:[/quote]

It was the scraping that I didn't like about those picks when I had one, I felt like I was sawing through my strings with it!

And to answer the question I use Dunlop Tortex picks :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='532767' date='Jul 5 2009, 09:22 AM']I use the big triangle blue Dunlop Tortex. A small guitar pick feels wrong to me on bass, if you haven't tried a big triangle then do it now![/quote]
+1 and same here. You also get 3 picks in one so plenty of life in them and added value!

Can't decide if I like the Blue 1mm or Green .88mm though!

Cheers,
JTB