Why become a member? ×

Wal alert for any interested parties

On 10/05/2024 at 22:11, Maxwellwoodger said:

I immediately called up the shop at 3.20pm (they closed at 3.30pm), spoke to the owner saying I wanted to buy the Wal. He said he had already sold it to some American. I said I would pay more and it’s easier to send it & sell it to me in London than a dude in the USA. The owner said he would think about it and call me later. That evening at 9pm he called me and gave me a price to outbid the American and we agreed. The shop owner from Wales is actually coming to deliver me the Wal in-person next week… (he needs to be in London for his band’s producer apparently so an excuse for a visit haha). I’m so happy and I almost can’t believe it!!! Thank you again everyone, I’ll send a pic once I have it in my hands! :) 

This sort of carry on makes me 🤮

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Not great is it. That buyer in the US might have just lost out on his dream bass. Shame on the shop. Imagine if one of us had bought a bass there only for them to renege on the deal and sell it to a higher bidder, proper name-and-shame moment.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Not great is it. That buyer in the US might have just lost out on his dream bass. Shame on the shop. Imagine if one of us had bought a bass there only for them to renege on the deal and sell it to a higher bidder, proper name-and-shame moment.

That and the buyer IMHO. As bad as each other. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

You know, I totally didn't pick up on this part of the story, got distracted by the almost-bargain aspect.

Yeah, that's gross, from both parties but mainly the shop for me for agreeing to it.  They haven't come out well from this at all.

3 minutes ago, NickA said:

£11k ?? Ooph.  Upside, you made a killing. Downside you don't have that Wal!

Prices getting a BIT more sensible of late.

It was getting increasingly unlikely I'd ever take it out to gig so I thought best to liquidate it before the bubble bursts and use the money for some big family holidays.

I still have a fretless Wal Mk1 though ;)

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kev said:

You know, I totally didn't pick up on this part of the story, got distracted by the almost-bargain aspect.

Yeah, that's gross, from both parties but mainly the shop for me for agreeing to it.  They haven't come out well from this at all.

I guess one could argue that given that it was possibly a commission sale, that the shop had a duty to get the best price for their customer.

That should have been sorted out before it went up for sale though. I say 'sale', but it sounds like it was a blind auction.

I'd also argue the case for the buyer saying 'I understand it's sold, but let me have first refusal if things don't work out'.

But, 'I don't care if it's sold, I'll give you more money, plus you won't have to ship it internationally' sucks big time from both sides.

I have visions of there being a mirror thread on Talk Bass.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I guess one could argue that given that it was possibly a commission sale, that the shop had a duty to get the best price for their customer.

That should have been sorted out before it went up for sale though. I say 'sale', but it sounds like it was a blind auction.

I'd also argue the case for the buyer saying 'I understand it's sold, but let me have first refusal if things don't work out'.

But, 'I don't care if it's sold, I'll give you more money, plus you won't have to ship it internationally' sucks big time from both sides.

I have visions of there being a mirror thread on Talk Bass.

It's a poor show. It happened to me a few years ago, and over and above the frustration - it was a nice old 70's Precision fretless with a retro-fitted J-PUP - I then had to fight with the shop to get my money back, they seemed to think it was OK to 'process a refund which will take several days'. Guess the US buyer might have similar issues if it was an international money transaction

I think it also matters tremendously the reason the shop gave to the US buyer for cancelling the sale, whatever that may have been.

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

I think it also matters tremendously the reason the shop gave to the US buyer for cancelling the sale, whatever that may have been.

Agreed, and of course in this case it could all be completely legit. I probably shouldn't have equated this situation with my own as they might be quite different 👍

Having owned three Wals, I can understand the appeal but not at anywhere near the prices now being banded about. At those prices they've become an attractive collector's antique, and it might be an attraction that only lasts for a few years while people of a certain age get stuff out of their systems.... 

On 20/05/2024 at 13:57, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

a mirror thread on Talk Bass.

There is a thread on Wal Facebook.  The guy who didn't get the bass is being a real gent about it. Peeved, but polite.  The shops reputation has suffered a little, but everyone in Wal world is still friends!  ....I think.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NickA said:

There is a thread on Wal Facebook.  The guy who didn't get the bass is being a real gent about it. Peeved, but polite.  The shops reputation has suffered a little, but everyone in Wal world is still friends!  ....I think.

Mmm, just read it. I'm not sure it's the shop that should suffer with comments like this from the buyer....

'To be fair on you, Chris did say it had just sold when I called the shop originally but I was very pushy, prepared to pay more and I rarely take no as an answer so you can blame me!'

• Like 1

"Terribly sorry mate, but we just sold it; can we take your contact details so we can let you know when another comes along?"

Is the right answer!

I can see the shops point tho.  More cash less hassle .. exporting to the states with CITES declarations etc must be a real pita.

On 20/05/2024 at 11:55, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That happened to me with regard to a Rick V63 at a very good priced in Japan. Could not believe it when I found out.

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

'To be fair on you, Chris did say it had just sold when I called the shop originally but I was very pushy, prepared to pay more and I rarely take no as an answer so you can blame me!'

I can't see the discussion, but my word, being a gent would be an absolute struggle in response to that if it was me.  

• Like 4

I made an agreement to buy several guitars once from someone. Agreed a price and a date and time to collect. Someone else phoned up and offered more. Thankfully the seller told me before I’d travelled but I explained how what they’d done is morally wrong and that I was disappointed that they would act this way, as I certainly wouldn’t.

Personally, I’d take no joy in doing this to someone else but I know people do. 

The older I get the more you see karma at work…

• Like 8

On 20/05/2024 at 10:32, cetera said:

Glad I got out and sold mine for £11k 6 months ago ;)

11k!!! Really? You’ve played a blinder and he/she has had a nightmare (or just wayyyyyy too much disposable income) it’s wood & wires! Oh……..IMHO🤣

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, martthebass said:

Threads like this remind me of the silver lining side to my shoulder hating anything approaching 10lb on a guitar strap....... 

It reminds me that I've played a Wal and really disliked the neck.

Posted (edited)

Like it says in the Old Testament, thou  shalt not covet thy neighbours Wal.

I was brought up with the understanding that a deal is a deal. Both parties are honour-bound to stick to what's been agreed. Before you agree a deal by all means thrash out the best terms for yourself that you can, but whatever you finally agree on you've got to stick to. 

This whole thing with Wal basses has got a bit daft. They're great basses with a unique tone and great history but they're not worth getting involved in a blind auction with spiraling prices just because of dwindling supply and burgeoning demand. I remember when Wal basses were fairly commonplace. No one was gazumping each other to get one back then. Buying a bass is one thing, selling your soul is something else entirely. There's plenty of other nice basses out there. 

I'm not having a go at the new owner particularly, I think his only real crime is over-enthusiasm. Good people often make errors of judgement, doesn't make them wicked. And the American chap still has his money  intact to buy something even better when he sees it. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Misdee said:

I'm not having a go at the new owner particularly, I think his only real crime is over-enthusiasm. Good people often make errors of judgement, doesn't make them wicked. And the American chap still has his money  intact to buy something even better when he sees it. 

A bit of over enthusiasm and a bit of desperation. 
The blame should lie with the shop. They made the original deal and shouldn’t have entertained anything else after that. A true display of greed.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

A bit of over enthusiasm and a bit of desperation. 
The blame should lie with the shop. They made the original deal and shouldn’t have entertained anything else after that. A true display of greed.

Reading the thread (including the comments above made on a Facebook group) I’d say they’re both as bad as each other.

Edited by Old Man Riva
Edited to remove snarky ‘got out of bed wrong side’ comment…
  • Like 1