Why become a member? ×

Wal alert for any interested parties

the shop didn't even do research to find out the value of a Wal. - do you think they had any idea about packaging and CITEs to send a bass internationally?! 

In a country where house purchased can be gazumped I find little to be worked up about when a small shop takes local money and hand delivers vs international sale and everything that entails. Not great but life is too short to get that worked about it. It's just a bass!

47 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

the shop didn't even do research to find out the value of a Wal. - do you think they had any idea about packaging and CITEs to send a bass internationally?! 

In a country where house purchased can be gazumped I find little to be worked up about when a small shop takes local money and hand delivers vs international sale and everything that entails. Not great but life is too short to get that worked about it. It's just a bass!

That is the mystery here, the shop not understanding the potential value of the instrument. Despite often talked about rarity (more a case of people holding on to them than rarity per se), it's not like they're a hard to research obscure brand....

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Mine is 8.6lbs.

That must be a Paul Herman-era bass. 

Without wishing to cause controversy or upset anybody, the more recent Wal basses are a different proposition to the vintage ones. Yes they cost more, but they are better made with more attention to fine detail. That's why I can't say the new basses are ridiculously overpriced. Their cost and overall quality is in line with other builders offering the best instruments money can buy.

And FWIW, for my taste only Alembic basses can rival Wal in terms of tone.

13 minutes ago, Misdee said:

That must be a Paul Herman-era bass. 

Without wishing to cause controversy or upset anybody, the more recent Wal basses are a different proposition to the vintage ones. Yes they cost more, but they are better made with more attention to fine detail. That's why I can't say the new basses are ridiculously overpriced. Their cost and overall quality is in line with other builders offering the best instruments money can buy.

And FWIW, for my taste only Alembic basses can rival Wal in terms of tone.

Yes, it is; from 2013 as I recall.

I think I'd agree with you about Alembic too. I've had a few and haven't played anything that's quite like them.

I'd put Ritter basses in the same class. Superbly put together and whilst they don't have a unique voice, the quality is undeniable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s a blight on the standards of this country that such practice is tolerated whether it’s selling houses, cars, guitars or anything else. I would like to think that most would condemn the shops actions and no one on Basschat would go back on a deal like this scenario.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I was going to argue musical instruments were exempted from CITES rules a few years ago - but then I googled it and found out the B-word meant the UK dropped out of that exemption :/

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s actually very easy to send, getting it cleared the other end with the proper paperwork is a different story, as I learned from personal experience.

• Like 1

I sold and posted an Alembic Clarke deluxe to a guy in Corsica.I originally stated in the for sale post that I WOULD NOT ship internationally and U.K. sale only. The Corsican guy obviously really wanted the bass so i reluctantly allowed myself to be persuaded to go ahead.No money had changed hands at this stage, just a gentlemans agreement if you like. I then was contacted by someone here in the U.K. who said he would have it. I must admit to being very very tempted but in the end i decided to honour the original request and sent it to Corsica. After a few very anxious days the bass arrived there via a brilliant FedEx service ahead of schedule. All turned out good in the end! Thank f*** x 🤣

• Like 5