Why become a member? ×

5 stings in metal

Jason Newstead played a 5 string a lot when he was in Metallica. I couldn't tell you which songs, though. I'm not really a fan of their music, just remember the basses. He's a very good bass player though, for sure.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2

If @LowB_FTW suggestion doesn't work, anything by Wasp - they can sting multiple times.

As a serious response, pretty sure Michael M Keegan of Therapy? Tunes his 4 string down to C - great workout for your left hand down at the first fret!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Misdee said:

Jason Newstead played a 5 string a lot when he was in Metallica. I couldn't tell you which songs, though. I'm not really a fan of their music, just remember the basses. He's a very good bass player though, for sure.

He plays a six string on the Sad But True during Freddie Mercury tribute at Wembley in 92. The song is in dropped D tuning. 

David Ellefson plays a five stringer but not sure what songs he uses them for.

Maybe some death metal songs, there are BC members who post  metal playing ( usually plays heavy stuff) in show us your playing video? Maybe they could advice, they post some great skills

@SaimoN and @WHUFC BASS

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

As SH73 mentioned drop D tuning, I remembered why I got my first five string. It was during the height of Nu-Metal and I wanted access to that D. But, rather than hobble a bass by keeping it in drop D, I figured a five string would be more versatile.

Also, C# standard is quite a common tuning. Tuning up to it on a five string works really well. No more flubby bottom string. 

I think Cradle of Filth do a lot in C#.

Edited by KingBollock
  • Like 2

How did I forget Fear Factory - Demanufacture and Obsolete are two of my favourite B string-centric albums.

Abyss by Unleash The Archers is a recent banger, also in B standard.

Psycroptic have guitars in drop D, I think, but the bassist plays a 5 live.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Anything by Strapping Young Lad, although most of it is tuned up a semitone to C standard.

Being pedantic, I seem to recall the bass in SYL being tuned down like the guitars - so, the E is tuned down to the C, then the B is dropped to some unearthly frequency.

There are some songs on Alien where you can make out the subsonic rumblings.

15 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm trying to push myself with some more tricky covers on the 5 string and trying to find interesting metal songs originally played on a 5. 

Any suggestions? 

I remember reading that there's a five string on Rust In Peace, but I've no recollection at all as to which songs it was used on

12 hours ago, KingBollock said:

As SH73 mentioned drop D tuning, I remembered why I got my first five string. It was during the height of Nu-Metal and I wanted access to that D. But, rather than hobble a bass by keeping it in drop D, I figured a five string would be more versatile.

Also, C# standard is quite a common tuning. Tuning up to it on a five string works really well. No more flubby bottom string. 

This , every time I play along in a dropped D to a song or two it's followed by standard e tuning. Easier to get a cheap 5 er

11 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

How did I forget Fear Factory - Demanufacture and Obsolete are two of my favourite B string-centric albums.

Abyss by Unleash The Archers is a recent banger, also in B standard.

Psycroptic have guitars in drop D, I think, but the bassist plays a 5 live.

Last year I bought a feat factory vinyl, fh it's some heavy tunes in there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KingBollock said:

I’m of a similar view. I play in a pub covers band, and a few of our songs require me to tune down. I’m far less ‘fluent’ when I do this, and more than one I’d forgotten to tune back up before the next song - which really wasn’t fun!

I exclusively play five-string now, and my life is much simpler.

To the original question… perhaps have a look at Nightwish. Their previous bassist Marko used a four string tuned to D-standard (live at least), however his replacement Jukka plays a five string live.

Many of their songs are interesting due to complex arrangements - often with multiple sections and key changes.

George

Meshuggah

Though his bass is tuned in drop B / F# standard tuning.

That is B - F# - B - E - A.

For playing an octave lower for older songs written on 7 string guitar, but unison/same octave with newer songs written on 8 string guitar, rather than tuning his bass ridiculously and inaudible flappy low down.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2024 at 01:29, LowB_FTW said:

5 Stings, y'say?

53681506840_75e946e487_c.jpg

Mark

Not very metal though...

If you could get an AI to make him in aluminum or something, or even better lead, since I assume we are talking about heavy metal it would be gold though.

This is somewhat more metal though:

image.thumb.png.e5fda81a55fea11c6a9105fa8e79a4f6.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 27/04/2024 at 08:46, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Overkill, obituary, Celtic frost , death? , prong,    sepultura  , Korn  , foo fighters ? 

I like that you put Overkill first. 

They were uppermost in my mind. 

DD Verni is properly good.

Their material is usually done on a (BC Rich) 4, tuned to C or C#. Can't remember which!

• Like 1

There's not much I can think of where a downtuned 4 won't suffice. Of the stuff I've seen a lot of 5 players playing, that G string doesn't exactly take a thrashing. However, good stuff to play along to tuned down low...

Celtic Frost - Monothiest > beautiful and aggressive without disappearing up its own arse, in terms of technicality

Mindfunk - Dropped > You might like this whole album, ahead it its time when it comes to low grooving, good use of lower register stuff without dwelling on one low note all the time

Living Colour - Stain > When Wimbish uses a 5 it's for a good reason, any of their albums with him would do

Morbid Angel - Covenant > features a few tunes down in B that are a challenge to play

• Like 2