Why become a member? ×

assault?

Gig last night, rough old dive, bruiser landlord ( nice bloke mind), dodgy clientele etc. p1issed up girl decides to invade the stage several times screeching into the mic. Tops off the evening by jumping on stage and grabbing our singers head and sticking her tongue down our straight female singers throat ( not impressed) and to end a lovely evening, scouser crack head screaming at everyone to f@@k off for 10 minutes straight.

Venue loves the band, wants to rebook in October… opinions?

Happened really fast, our singers a tough old cookie and pushed her away calling her a dirty b1tch.

In an ideal world I guess you would call the fuzz but it was 1am and she just wanted to get home.

Dont think we will be returning to this particular Torbay establishment.

• Sad 9

That sounds like a place I wouldn't want to go back to. Sorry that happened to your singer, some people think it's a laugh to go around doing that sort of thing, sad isn't it? Perhaps go back with a bouncer in front of the stage area?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to some places that are as rough as, but all is good. Unfortunately one turned into a scene from a wild west saloon brawl, a Scarborough sea front pub. Needless to say we didn't return.

No excuse for assault on band members though.

• Like 2

Nope I wouldn't be going back there. Some venues can be rough but friendly and with a good atmosphere. Others are just not nice places to play.

There a few venues that we refused to go back to over the years. One had quite a boisterous, drunken crowd that were often trying to get on the mics and falling over the kit, etc. The landlord didn't keep them under control and often wasn't even in that room. After a few gigs of that we refused to take another booking and told him why.

Another venue we only played once due to threats and intimidation - from the landlady!!! We are not an Irish band, we don't know any Irish songs and really don't want to start any trouble out of ignorance by playing a song that might be insulting to one faction or the other. We couldn't get out of there fast enough!

• Like 3

Sounds awful. That would bring out the worst in me, personal invasion, spitting or the like.

Funnily enough we had an edgy gig last night, put me right on the back foot. Massively timid issues compared to this story tho.

Nah I would not go back, life is too short for shi**y gigs (unless you go armed with a cattle prod for amusment).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're in communication with them about a rebooking I'd take the opportunity to tell them exactly why you won't be coming back. Venues need to offer much better support to entertainers than you received.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JazzyJ said:

Been to some places that are as rough as, but all is good. Unfortunately one turned into a scene from a wild west saloon brawl, a Scarborough sea front pub. Needless to say we didn't return.

No excuse for assault on band members though.

Ah, my home town!! I am not at all surprised, sadly, though it always has been a fantastic place for live music it's also a place where idiots throwing punches is all part of the night out for them.

• Like 2

Jezz Steve, sounds like a right nightmare. I wouldn't go back. Luckily it doesn't sound like a venue we play in the Bay. As others have said its assault. I can see our singer shrugging it off, but his girlfriend, who comes to all our gigs would not see it the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mep said:

Steve, I've just looked at your Facebook page and can see the venue. That's one to avoid! I hope Dani is ok.

Yeah she is fine thanks.

We played a fair few of those dives years ago when we were starting out and desperate for gigs.

Thankfully we can be a bit more discerning these days, we wont be back.

• Like 2

Played a gig in Corby once, we were told the pub had just been refurbished, from what we could see they had painted the walls and recovered the pool table to cover up the bloodstains, as we sound checked a rather large tattooed fella stomped up and said "play some Coldplay!" then mumbled in a rather high voice "Fix You" before staggering out of the joint, on the upside the landlady was rather attractive and spent the entire evening perched on a bar stool advertising to everyone that knickers were clearly optional...we never went back!

• Like 4

We played to a mildly iffy crowd last night. No trouble as such but a very odd crowd who all seemed to know each other from all ages with guys strutting  around like peacocks and girls, done up to the nine's with tits hanging out, swearing their heads off. Pissed as anything treading on cables, standing right in front of us with their backs to us and showing no respect to anyone. Just a very odd crowd.

• Like 1

It's not the Spinny. From what I've seen here most people don't name and shame. If you look at his bands Facebook page, for The Jefferson Archive, you'll see the venue for last Friday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1