Why become a member? ×

This might seem like a rant but I reckon there's an increasing number of folk having load-in issues....

24 minutes ago, Muzz said:

we played an RAF Regiment Do

Back in the day I used to gig at RAOC Bicester (munitions & other stuff that goes bang) - we were shadowed by Paras with large guns who always drafted in a few squaddies to help load in & out. Those were the days...

😎

• Like 1

The only sensible point that Jeremy Clarkson has ever made (that I'm aware of) is that councils and pedestrianization are doing as much if not more than the internet to destroy the town centres. The town I grew up in still had the Blockbuster livery on a shop unit the last time I went back, the high street is dead. Meanwhile there's the Metrocentre shopping mall 20 minutes drive away, Team Valley (industrial estate/retail park, 15 minutes), the Arnison Centre (retail park, 10 minutes) and Dalton Park (outlet shopping, 30 minutes) that are all absolutely thriving. Why? Free parking.

• Like 5

Most of ours aren't too bad, apart from the best live music venue around here, where you have to fight your way through a CRAMMED smoking area to get the gear out at the end 😫. I yell for people to make way, but end up just smashing a path through with cases/cabs/PA speakers etc 🤣

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jack said:

The only sensible point that Jeremy Clarkson has ever made (that I'm aware of) is that councils and pedestrianization are doing as much if not more than the internet to destroy the town centres. The town I grew up in still had the Blockbuster livery on a shop unit the last time I went back, the high street is dead. Meanwhile there's the Metrocentre shopping mall 20 minutes drive away, Team Valley (industrial estate/retail park, 15 minutes), the Arnison Centre (retail park, 10 minutes) and Dalton Park (outlet shopping, 30 minutes) that are all absolutely thriving. Why? Free parking.

So true.

Doubtless, some well meaning person from the council will tell you that everyone should be walking or taking a bus or cycling...........

Walking? - usually too far.

Bus? - unreliable or simply non-existent unless you're in a big city.

Cycling - your bike will definitely not be there when you return.

- and as for musicians doing gigs in city centre venues, must be almost impossible sometimes.

I used to play function gigs in Central London back in the '80's, it was extremely difficult then, so I can't imagine how musicians manage now. Anybody on this forum do this kind of work? How do you manage it?

• Like 2

I played a punch of gigs at Drummonds from 2008-2011. We generally parked at the rear of the building located off Denburn Road. At my first time playing I then had lug my Trace Elliot 1x15 combo up three flights of stairs only to find that the house bass amp was a...4x10 Trace Elliot combo with the same amp!

I think that we had to shift the van after loading. It was fine but this was 2008 so that traffic issues wouldn't have been as bad as they are now.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Back in the day I used to gig at RAOC Bicester (munitions & other stuff that goes bang) - we were shadowed by Paras with large guns who always drafted in a few squaddies to help load in & out. Those were the days...

😎

In my old function band we used to do a fair few military bases, and ( apart from the hassle of getting through

the guards on the main gates understandably searching the van)  we used to get help unloading and

then loading again at the end of the night. Always well looked after as well, with excellent food, drinks and

dressing rooms etc. 

Played some of the US bases in Suffolk / Eastern England and they were amazingly helpful, plenty of

guys to haul the equipment. Very enthusiastic audiences too, did some great gigs with a country band

in the early 80’s - you only had to ask if there was anyone from any particular US state and 

a tray of drinks would appear on the front of the stage. Happy days. 

• Like 2

When we play in London we all go in one van, pay the congestion charge and any parking fees. We never seem to have a problem loading in, or finding somewhere nearby to park. It always seems fine to me!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

In my old function band we used to do a fair few military bases, and ( apart from the hassle of getting through

the guards on the main gates understandably searching the van)  we used to get help unloading and

then loading again at the end of the night. Always well looked after as well, with excellent food, drinks and

dressing rooms etc. 

Played some of the US bases in Suffolk / Eastern England and they were amazingly helpful, plenty of

guys to haul the equipment. Very enthusiastic audiences too, did some great gigs with a country band

in the early 80’s - you only had to ask if there was anyone from any particular US state and 

a tray of drinks would appear on the front of the stage. Happy days. 

Nice to feel valued, instead of encountering anything from blatant disregard at best to utter contempt and made to feel like a nuisance at worst!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I played a punch of gigs at Drummonds from 2008-2011. We generally parked at the rear of the building located off Denburn Road. At my first time playing I then had lug my Trace Elliot 1x15 combo up three flights of stairs only to find that the house bass amp was a...4x10 Trace Elliot combo with the same amp!

I think that we had to shift the van after loading. It was fine but this was 2008 so that traffic issues wouldn't have been as bad as they are now.

I did that a year or two ago playing at a 70’s weekend bash at Butlins. We hauled my GK rig up a long flight

of stairs, set it up and then I pulled a curtain to one side and behind it was a proper Ampeg SVT

amp / 8x10 set up! My favourite rig, and nobody thought to tell me there was a house amp.

We have another gig there soon so will make sure I check to see if it’s available this time. 

• Like 1

The 100 Club has/had  a rear parking/unloading bit, which is useful (you have to carry gear downstairs to the venue) & the Marquee (Wardour Street) had a useful rear mews.

I don't think I'd even contemplate city centre gigs these days ...

😎

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

The 100 Club has/had  a rear parking/unloading bit, which is useful (you have to carry gear downstairs to the venue) & the Marquee (Wardour Street) had a useful rear mews.

The last time I played there I got a parking ticket behind the 100 Club. That was the first time I ever saw a warden back there!!

Since Covid I'm doing more gigs in Central London, and, most of the venues have provide the back line.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I rarely go into a big town or city these days, so I’m definitely out of touch, but these venues must have deliveries of drink, food etc. Do the drivers just take hit on fines, is there special dispensation or do they deliver outside a certain time range? I’m interested how it works because people must be driving up to these places regularly to drop-off and pick-up.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

The last time I played there I got a parking ticket behind the 100 Club. That was the first time I ever saw a warden back there!!

I think you have to wait until after 5 or 6pm to park there? We've never had a ticket anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I did that a year or two ago playing at a 70’s weekend bash at Butlins. We hauled my GK rig up a long flight

of stairs, set it up and then I pulled a curtain to one side and behind it was a proper Ampeg SVT

amp / 8x10 set up! My favourite rig, and nobody thought to tell me there was a house amp.

We have another gig there soon so will make sure I check to see if it’s available this time. 

Of course the opposite is when I am told that there is 'world class' backline which ends up being a mid 1990s Laney Richter 50 watt 1x12 combo!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Since Covid I'm doing more gigs in Central London, and, most of the venues have provide the back line.

43 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I think you have to wait until after 5 or 6pm to park there? We've never had a ticket anyway

I’ve always used the meters on the nearby streets when playing there, fortunately gigging there 12 April, really looking forward to being back at The 100 Club.

Edited by Lozz196

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

😎

I used an Ampeg SVT plus 810 at a gig there, the payoff was helping carry it all up those stairs. To add insult to injury both were flightcased. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I rarely go into a big town or city these days, so I’m definitely out of touch, but these venues must have deliveries of drink, food etc. Do the drivers just take hit on fines, is there special dispensation or do they deliver outside a certain time range? I’m interested how it works because people must be driving up to these places regularly to drop-off and pick-up.

I'd also be interested in anyone's insight on this? Aside from training into central London I haven't been into a town centre in years (well done councils - you waged war on motorists and won, congratulations). But surely every single business premises on the high street needs deliveries of some sort? How are these done, or is the fine just built into the delivery charge?

Little story. Last time I drove into a major town centre was Leeds. It was absolutely chucking it down, near zero visibility. I realised upon seeing a sign that I had strayed into a bus lane, so immediately pulled out. I got a penalty. Their own photo clearly showed that the road markings indicating Bus Lane were completely invisible due to the amount of rain falling and splattering on the road. Appealed. No joy - road markings were 'clear' (no, invisible, proven by their own photographic evidence). Vowed never to go to Leeds again, and actually have not driven into any city since.

Edited by Wolfram

42 minutes ago, Wolfram said:

I'd also be interested in anyone's insight on this? Aside from training into central London I haven't been into a town centre in years (well done councils - you waged war on motorists and won, congratulations). But surely every single business premises on the high street needs deliveries of some sort? How are these done, or is the fine just built into the delivery charge?

Little story. Last time I drove into a major town centre was Leeds. It was absolutely chucking it down, near zero visibility. I realised upon seeing a sign that I had strayed into a bus lane, so immediately pulled out. I got a penalty. Their own photo clearly showed that the road markings indicating Bus Lane were completely invisible due to the amount of rain falling and splattering on the road. Appealed. No joy - road markings were 'clear' (no, invisible, proven by their own photographic evidence). Vowed never to go to Leeds again, and actually have not driven into any city since.

I was quite used to driving around Leeds but they've cut a lot of the city centre off for cars now so it's not as (relatively) easy as it once was. Fortunately I have no real need to these days, I let the P&R bus drivers deal with that nonsense.

On 06/03/2024 at 10:27, musicbassman said:

So true.

Doubtless, some well meaning person from the council will tell you that everyone should be walking or taking a bus or cycling...........

Walking? - usually too far.

Bus? - unreliable or simply non-existent unless you're in a big city.

Cycling - your bike will definitely not be there when you return.

- and as for musicians doing gigs in city centre venues, must be almost impossible sometimes.

I used to play function gigs in Central London back in the '80's, it was extremely difficult then, so I can't imagine how musicians manage now. Anybody on this forum do this kind of work? How do you manage it?

I work in Glasgow city centre for the day job. I mostly take the train, but cycle when the weather allows - about 14 miles, so a fair trek for an overweight bloke in his 40s.

I actually could manage to gig travelling by train - I don't use an amp, just a Helix and in-ears - however, the train service is poor after 6pm and finished by midnight. So like most others, I drive to my city centre gigs.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2024 at 10:27, musicbassman said:

Me too. Sometimes had to unload in Soho or Covent Garden, then drive off and park as far away as Warren Street and walk back down to Soho to set up and play. I eventually stopped accepting gigs in the centre unless there was backline provided and all I had to take was an instrument so I could use the tube. I left London a couple of years back, but pals who still live there tell me it's even worse.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 10:52, casapete said:

It's been over 20 years since I stopped working at Butlins, but in my day that would have been the house bass player's own supplied rig, and not necessarily available for free use by anyone.   However, as they play almost every night of the week, they get to leave their stuff set up.  

I guess it depends on the player - when I was there we had two house drummers - one in each of the two main venues.   One would leave his kick and toms out for all and sundry to use, the other would get VERY angry if anyone so much as breathed on his stuff.

2 hours ago, Huge Hands said:

It's been over 20 years since I stopped working at Butlins, but in my day that would have been the house bass player's own supplied rig, and not necessarily available for free use by anyone.   However, as they play almost every night of the week, they get to leave their stuff set up.  

I guess it depends on the player - when I was there we had two house drummers - one in each of the two main venues.   One would leave his kick and toms out for all and sundry to use, the other would get VERY angry if anyone so much as breathed on his stuff.

Just got some more details of our Butlins gig at Minehead 70’s weekender next Friday, and I have a choice

of two Ampeg rigs!  😊