Why become a member? ×

"New" Epiphone Thunderbirds - Thunderbird '64

neepheid

I saw these last night and love the Silver Mist. It does have me GASing somewhat. Not sure I could justify the extra notes though given how great the Vintage Pro/60s T-Birds are at their price point, especially used.

Edited by mr4stringz

2 hours ago, cetera said:

Nice, but the price is heading too close to £1k (& Gibson territory). I'll stick with my sunburst and black Vintage Pro/60's Epi Tbirds....got them at under £500 each.

Gibsons are a lot more expensive these days.

Besides these are far more authentic. Gibson "Thunderbirds" these days are little more than basses with a similar body shape to the original model.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 12:36, cetera said:

Nice, but the price is heading too close to £1k (& Gibson territory). I'll stick with my sunburst and black Vintage Pro/60's Epi Tbirds....got them at under £500 each.

There does seem to be a concerted push to reposition Epiphone as an upper midrange and beyond brand.

There were a few skinny stringers last year that they put out around the £1.5k mark which I'd say is getting into the top tier of massed produced guitars.

Interestingly though when I was looking at the new years sales at places like Andertons a lot of those Epiphones that had originally been priced at £1k plus were being offered at significant discounts, often £300 or more which suggests that people don't really see Epiphone as a brand that they're willing to pay that kind of money for.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

If you think these are expensive, check out the price of the very lovely Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" 1963 Firebird V

https://www.peachguitars.com/epiphone-inspired-by-gibson-custom-collection-1963-firebird-v-frost-blue.htm?opt=47549&gad_source=1

If I was spending that much though I'd at least expect an indian rosewood fingerboard rather than indian laurel, and I'd want it to say Gibson on the headstock even if it is made in the far east.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

9 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If you think these are expensive, check out the price of the very lovely Epiphone "Inspired by Gibson" 1963 Firebird V

https://www.peachguitars.com/epiphone-inspired-by-gibson-custom-collection-1963-firebird-v-frost-blue.htm?opt=47549&gad_source=1

If I was spending that much though I'd at least expect an indian rosewood fingerboard rather than indian laurel, and I'd want it to say Gibson on the headstock even if it is made in the far east.

That's more or less what Gibson were charging for a US Firebird 2 years ago, just before they stopped making a 'standard' model.

The only Firebirds Gibson have made in the last couple of years have all been Custom Shop or Murphy Labs limited editions, starting at around £6k.

Even given that I can't see many people handing over that amount for an Epiphone.

9 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

So long as any visible wood looks attractive, I don't care what it is. 

And TBH I'd rather it didn't say "Gibson" on the headstock as they are currently of no interest to me and by the looks of things rapidly going downhill. Hopefully they won't take Epiphone with them.

Nothing against these per se; I played Gary's for a bit and it was fine, but always felt the geometry on the Epiphones was out compared with the original.  I know many will see this as nitpicking, but if you're going to make/reproduce/copy a faithful replica, then then should be doing that (much like they're trying to do with all the Les Pauls, Explorers, Vs and SGs).  About the only area where the body looks correct is the forearm bout.  The other three corners are skewed; the lower horn has always been short/stubby and the upper neck joint and control corner, smoothed out/rounded.

10 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nothing against these per se; I played Gary's for a bit and it was fine, but always felt the geometry on the Epiphones was out compared with the original.  I know many will see this as nitpicking, but if you're going to make/reproduce/copy a faithful replica, then then should be doing that (much like they're trying to do with all the Les Pauls, Explorers, Vs and SGs).  About the only area where the body looks correct is the forearm bout.  The other three corners are skewed; the lower horn has always been short/stubby and the upper neck joint and control corner, smoothed out/rounded.

That's ok, my geometry is also out compared to my golden age, assuming I had one :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Maybe that’s why (at least in my case) the Epi’s don’t seem to be so renowned for massive neck dive? Could they have changed the geometry to improve the ergos?

17 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Maybe that’s why (at least in my case) the Epi’s don’t seem to be so renowned for massive neck dive? Could they have changed the geometry to improve the ergos?

If I could have a pahnd for every time I've seen people mention neck dive, eh?  With the dozen or so Gibson models I went through, dive was negligible (I mean, much as I joked about it, it was there a little, but wasn't a dealbreaker) and it's non-existent on my Lull, Hamer or Spector.  Grippier strap and I tend to play with my left hand on the neck.

Not in the market for one of these, but I'd be in the market for a TBII should Gibson pull their finger out and reissue those.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2024 at 13:48, NancyJohnson said:

I'd be in the market for a TBII should Gibson pull their finger out and reissue those.  

reissue_tbii_gibson_lol.jpg.1075c743921ba078cf960691ccfbf497.jpg

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I acquired an Epi pro IV in white recently in a trade - equivalent to about £250. I’ve always loved the look but was convinced I’d scratch the itch and move it on. As @NancyJohnson said - negligible neck dive and it’s one of my lightest basses in a 20 odd bass collection. I was lucky to pick one up so cheaply. Side dots disappeared in the dark - easily fixed with some Graph-Tech dots and the only issue I have with it really is access to the dusty end when I’m standing up. Got some gigs with Verity Bromham this month and might well use her on those - don’t really stray up the dusty end in that combo!

• Like 2