Why become a member? ×

"New" Epiphone Thunderbirds - Thunderbird '64

neepheid

Something's been bugging me about these - it's the single colour on the headstock.  Should Epiphone have done a trad black headstock with colour outline?  Here's a quick and dirty mockup:

image.png.8c76aa3eb590a33772c8954792fe46ad.png                                  VS                              image.png.1ae726f95b48970f8e7e3e374177ae58.png

FIGHT :D

• Like 5

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Something's been bugging me about these - it's the single colour on the headstock.  Should Epiphone have done a trad black headstock with colour outline?  Here's a quick and dirty mockup:

image.png.8c76aa3eb590a33772c8954792fe46ad.png                                  VS                              image.png.1ae726f95b48970f8e7e3e374177ae58.png

Just get some vinyl cut to size...

• Like 1

On 04/03/2024 at 11:31, neepheid said:

Black with colour outline looks better, but I like the solid red one as it looks like Tom Petersson's.

• Like 2

Damn, that does look nice in red.  Oh dear.  Just as well I think they're a mite bit too expensive, even with the addition of a gigbag and other minor improvements, if the price had been the same as the previous Vintage Pro/60s model then my gear abstinence this year might have come under more serious threat...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if they're thinking about launching some additional colours, or is this wishful thinking/general error on behalf of the retailer?

https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/Epiphone-Thunderbird-64-Purple-Sparkle/art-BAS0012594-002

https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/Epiphone-Thunderbird-64-Brunswick-Blue-Sparkle/art-BAS0012594-001

A blue and a purple?  Sounds awesome, I hope they appear!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

I wonder if they're thinking about launching some additional colours, or is this wishful thinking/general error on behalf of the retailer?

https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/Epiphone-Thunderbird-64-Purple-Sparkle/art-BAS0012594-002

https://www.musicstore.com/en_OT/EUR/Epiphone-Thunderbird-64-Brunswick-Blue-Sparkle/art-BAS0012594-001

A blue and a purple?  Sounds awesome, I hope they appear!

Balls up I'm guessing, they're "no longer available".

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Balls up I'm guessing, they're "no longer available".

They've never been available, so I'm hoping for "placeholder, made visible by accident"...

Edited by neepheid

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the finishes, but in these days of all this historic reissue nonsense, you'd think that they'd go the extra mile and get the body geometry and the nuances correct.  On the left a 1964 TBII on the right, the Epiphone.  Headstock wrong, knobs wrong, sidejack, wrong, body similar, close but no cigar. 

Still a no from me.

image.png.21fe86a3111bb072016926a4185718cd.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's a factory conversion.  TBII, plus additional pickup.

Ahhhh.....I stand corrected! 👍.   I thought it didn’t look quite like my ‘65 IV, but wasn’t sure how......🤔