Why become a member? ×

Rig Rundown: Tool's Justin Chancellor

7 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

One of my absolute favorite bass players, with one of my absolute favorite bass tones, from one of my absolute favorite bands.

Same here, huge fan since 96. Interesting to see that his tech is changing his strings even during a gig. Maybe I should change my strings a bit more often too 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lidl e said:

I never knew he was English. 

I suppose I'm not a big tool fan, but not sure how i possibly missed that all these years.

Same! 

Always admired them but never got into them.

Great Rig Rundown 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattbass6 said:

Watched this earlier and thoroughly loved it. What a wonderful interview, great insight, and what a decent, honest and amazing player. Loved it. Will be watching again 🫡

He does strike me a thoroughly decent chap, aside from being quite the bass player.

Not a huge Tool fan, but I'd advise anyone to give them a listen just for the bass.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

One of my absolute favorite bass players, with one of my absolute favorite bass tones, from one of my absolute favorite bands.

Wrote above comment before I actually watched the video, but as others have commented on: great interviewer and interview, and Justin being the great guy and amazing bass player as he happens to be.

Just overall a really interesting and enjoyable video to watch.

• Like 2

Note that his distortion, not his more or less always on bi-amping Turbo RAT + Boss GEB-7 dirty chain, or the fuzz build into his wah pedal, but regular distortion in his main effects chain, actually is a Tech 21 GT2, guitar preamp/drive pedal.

I own the dirt cheap, but great and pretty accurate, Behringer GDI21 clone of it, and I can attest that it works pretty amazing as a bass distortion. 

Here is a great demonstration of the Tech21 GT2 pedal's capabilities as a bass distortion:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 5

Thoroughly enjoyed that video. I discovered Tool when I was working in the States, back in 1999. I was driving around aimlessly one evening, since there was nothing much else to do in Santa Clara where I was stuck during the working week, when a song came on the radio. The station was KITS Live 105, which played alternative rock, often in back to back segments only broken by adverts. The song had this amazing bass intro and then built up to a massive crescendo over more than six minutes, but the lack of any DJ voiceover meant I was clueless as to who the band were. Cut to a few weeks later, and I'm again cruising around and another song comes on - different song, but clearly the same band and another fantastic bass part. I pulled over next to a phone booth, cranked the radio to maximum volume, and called a colleague who was more into heavy music than me. "What the hell is this band?" I ask him, and he tells me it's Tool. The first track I'd heard was "H", while the second one was "Forty Six & 2", both off their "Ænima" album.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, MartinB said:

That does sound cool! I noticed from the video that JC uses it at minimum gain, but then I guess he's potentially giving it quite a hot input signal.

image.png.eb7f7bd1b758bf362b83b3bfda73ae86.png

Yes, but it got 3 gain settings that you can switch between (the middle switch, marked MOD),that is supposed to emulate tube gain stages, and he has it set at the highest setting, Hot Wired, add to that the California (Mesa Boogie) setting (last, AMP emulation switch) already got the most gain of them all, meaning that it'll distort quite a lot even with the Drive knob at minimum.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, lidl e said:

I suppose I'm not a big tool fan, but not sure how i possibly missed that all these years.

Same and I've listened to few bits and pieces down the years since they impressed me at Glastonbury in 1994.

I think that would have been the year before Justin joined.

• Like 1

Saw them live in 2006 in the then Carling Academy in Glasgow. It was in the middle of the FIFA World Cup and Justin was the English celebrity columnist on the FIFA website. Eva Longoria was the Mexican correspondent and Gorbachev was the Russian correspondent. It was a wild time.

Maynard did the whole gig in an orange cowboy hat.

No support, no massive video screen, just a gig with some basic lighting. I loved it.

Danny Carrey missed a couple of beats in a two hour set and a couple of Glaswegian drummers in the crowd yelled ‘F**k me he is actually human!’

Good gig.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 21:53, lidl e said:

Somehow I didnt know that either. I also realised I had no idea what either he or Adam Jones looked like---I like Tool, but I know very little about them for some reason!

Carina Round, who is the singer in Maynard's Puscifer side-project, is also English so I wonder if thats just a coincidence or if there's some kind of connection. 

I very much enjoyed the watch, good video. I did laugh when his tech admitted they change strings during soundcheck and then again halfway through a show. Thats pretty remarkable. I also like the fact that despite having quite a complex rig, there's no MIDI switching bollocks, and I definitely love the fact he's not using any "boutique" unobtainium pedals. 

Will probably have some Tool on my headphones on my commute tomorrow, although I find the albums a bit bloated. They have some absolutely glorious moments but I think they need a better editor at times. 

• Like 1

Really impressed that Justin was the rig guide rather than just handing it off to his tech as most of these videos seem to be. Then having the tech there at the same time was as thorough as it gets. Kudos to team Chancellor.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 2