Why become a member? ×

strap length

NHM

For about 20 years I've played with the same strap set at the same length - 126cm button to button. I've always been comfortable with this length and never really given it much thought.

About a month ago I thought I'd experiment with a longer strap and moved to 138cm - so the bass sits about 6cm lower. I can't believe how much freer I feel in my body, it has opened up my physicality and also really enhanced my rhythmic playing. I feel a much better player/performer as a result of this simple change. The only downside is that it is a little more awkward to see the face of the fretboard, but several rehearsals in at this length the significant gains outweigh this minor inconvenience.

I play in a blues/rock band. You see bass players in some other genres having quite short strap lengths (e.g. jazz & funk). 

Does genre dictate where the bass hangs best for maximum playing comfort? 

• Like 3

For me, it does. I find styles of music that tend to move up into the dusty end, like some jazz, easier when the bass sits higher. I move it down some for rock or country. Btw, I’ve been using the same strap since 1976.

• Like 2

Being in punk/Oi/heavy rock a low slung guitar is generally the norm, however for me as well as the look it’s for practical reasons, having a shoulder injury it helps having my right arm down by my side rather than if the instrument is higher up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NHM said:

Does genre dictate where the bass hangs best for maximum playing comfort? 

Not in my case.

It's governed by the shape/size/ weight of the instrument. 

To that end,  each instrument I own has its own strap adjusted to fit it perfectly.

The lighter basses (EDA, B2Av) have cheapo nylon straps. The heavyweights have wide,  grippy leather items to stop them from moving about.

• Like 3

I have to have my strap average to slightly higher I guess, if it's too low I just find it unnecessarily difficult with my fretting hand, and increased strain. I'd rather be comfortable than look cool 😅.

I've never actually measured how long it is though (matron), but I'm curious now....  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I tend to have my strap length to match how the bass sits when I’m sitting (or thereabouts). Fortunately, it seems to be pretty much the same for all my basses, regardless of body shape.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I have the strap length the same sitting down or standing .  As told by Billy Sheehan . 

Me too. But on one strap I have an extra strap lock further down so I can lower the bass and look cool 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I have the strap length the same sitting down or standing .  As told by Billy Sheehan . 

I discovered this on NYE! Mistakenly took a strap on the gig that didn’t have two different holes

for the end strap pin  - usually have the higher of the two for sitting down and then move to the

lower one for standing. I had to compromise between the two on this strap and to my amazement

it actually worked well for both playing positions. Looks like Billy was right…..

• Like 2

I find my plucking / picking hand to be most comfortable when the bass is low, and the fretting hand prefers it if the bass is a bit higher. So I kind of aim in the middle (roughly the full extent of a long Comfort Strapp) which is the best of both worlds for me. 

But some basses - I’m thinking Thunderbirds and Epi Jack Casady basses - I can’t get comfortable at any height. They’re just the wrong shape/balance for me whatever I try. 

• Like 1

Physiologically your bass should be at a height where there are as little sharp bends in your wrists and elbows as possible. Down the line your nerves will thank you for it. There's a reason most players have their bass at a common height.

Not sure the strap length is telling you much as it'll depend on your shoulder and waist measurements. But 6cm would straighten out your elbows and wrists quite a bit. 

• Like 1

117cm, and I am 6'4'' (192cm) tall.

It matches so that the bass is at about the same location as it would have been if sitting down playing it without a strap.

(Edit!!!: 126.5cm hole to hole, currently. This also seems to be pretty much spot on where my bass would naturally be if I sat with it.)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3