Why become a member? ×

"Spare" bass?

asingardenof

I always take a spare bass. I'm fortunate that for most of the gigs I play, the stages are big enough for me to have both basses at easy reach and I'll often swap instruments in the break between sets, purely to give them both a run out. I look after my gear, but I've still had the (very) occasional mid-gig crisis and the spare was there to save my life. Any old car boot sale,  boat anchor bass will get you out of trouble, and rather annoyingly, you'll probably be the only person in the room who's noticed that you've gone from your 1962 Fender Precision to your 2019, Gear 4 Music starter bass. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Ahh yes, the other, often overlooked role of the bass player in a band - "band parent/guardian"

I'd say responsible adult but I'm not sure that's all that accurate.

I take a spare bass with me. For the last couple of gigs, it's been the light-up acrylic bass which I swap to towards the end of the second set and do a couple of songs with. I've frequently used a Hohner B2AV as it's so compact, it doesn't take up much room in the car. I've also taken a fretted and fretless and swapped between sets. I'm not obsessed with an exact tone as long as I can get sufficient bassy goodness out and maybe fiddle slightly if it sounds too trebly or too bassy.

• Like 3

On 25/12/2023 at 23:33, BassTractor said:

Only played live twice, but my takes are:
- main bass (possibly one of those 18V thingies from San Luis Obispo)
- cricket bat (Hohner B2B, which is not only tiny and passive, but also very stable and trustworthy).

Peace of mind.

This may have changed my mind with regard to spares. 

I've never taken one before,  and never needed one. 

I wouldn't be able to decide what to take.  Except now I KNOW what to take. 

My Hohner B2AV. 

Compact,  lightweight,  plays well, sounds good. Leans against things without a stand. It has its own bag now...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I always take a spare. The spare is always a carbon copy of the main bass so if it's needed, there's no level or sonic difference. 

They're usually the same finish too but not always, I'm not a freak!!

I'm never the same bass twice so this policy would be unachievable. Just as well I'm of the opinion that all my basses are "bassy" ;)

• Like 1

I always bring two identical basses.

On gigs both are plugged in via  an A/B box.

They have never failed me, but I use padded straps and sweat a lot!

So its nice to swap basses when one strap is all damp. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baa said:

I always bring two identical basses.

On gigs both are plugged in via  an A/B box.

They have never failed me, but I use padded straps and sweat a lot!

So its nice to swap basses when one strap is all damp. 😁

If I were you, I'd get a spare a/b box, just in case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 26/12/2023 at 21:23, Franticsmurf said:

My spare is usually a passive headless Spirit - small, light and reliable. 

Same here. I use checklists to tick off all the bass, PA and lighting gear I take to gigs. It has STEINBERGER at the top and bottom, so I hopefully won't forget it.

I've never needed it yet. But I'm certain that the one time I do forget it is the one time I will need it.

• Like 4

Back in the wedding band days this was my set up…

IMG_1075.jpeg.8f0e50e3d561292ac34b45cc2b461a40.jpeg

Always carried two basses and since I love ‘em both always played both over the course of the night. Always both on stage at all times. If I’d ever had a bass fail they would have been swapped seamlessly within a couple of bars. For me there was no point having one in a case or in the boot of the car - the show must go on… or rather must never stop while I faff about finding another bass. Did the same with other combos of my basses - whether the backup was my Aria SB or my Frankenjazz.

Of course, having the redundancy I never needed it! But that’s not the point. Insurance is something you hope never having to use… you still need it, though!

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 4

The beauty of D class amps, together my two weigh less than my accessories case.

Same with Neo cabs, 2 are a doddle when they only weigh 21lbs  each.

My lightest bass is so light that I have to check the gig bag to see if I remembered to put it in.

Carrying spares has never been easier.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2023 at 17:37, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I wouldn't be able to decide what to take.  Except now I KNOW what to take. 

My Hohner B2AV. 

Compact,  lightweight,  plays well, sounds good. Leans against things without a stand. It has its own bag now...

The only slight drawback is that with the neck strap button in the standard position, it tilts forward somewhat. I've seen a mod which was to move the strap button to the equivalent of the end of the top horn and some day I'm going to do this.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 08:20, Steve Browning said:

I always take a spare. The spare is always a carbon copy of the main bass so if it's needed, there's no level or sonic difference. 

They're usually the same finish too but not always, I'm not a freak!!

Sez you. Two of every bass? Get outta town!

• Haha 1